• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Potions: how do they work?

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Potions: how do they work?

Postby knightkrawler » December 17th, 2015, 12:49 pm

In regards to death and healing potions, here's my wording:

When a hero discards their last body or mind point token, they die. The figure is put face down in the square it last occupied. That square may be freely moved through, but a move cannot end there. The hero may still regain body or mind points through the action of another hero at this point, but if they start their next turn with 0 mind or body points, their figure is taken from the board and their player is now free to make sandwiches and chili dips.

...and yadda-yadda-yadda about the equipment and the gold of the dead hero...
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby GimmeYerGold » December 17th, 2015, 1:03 pm

knightkrawler wrote:...and yadda-yadda-yadda about the equipment and the gold of the dead hero...

I am working on a simple fill-in-the-blank Character Will for the back of the character sheet, so the character can bequeath their belongings to the remaining characters, or include the name of their back up character :)

A fun way to prepare them for that inevitable moment when Zargon gets his way! :twisted:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » December 17th, 2015, 1:59 pm

will shmill
your hero dies, and my hero is left in the dungeon with limited resources, all the dead guys gear is mine if I loot it
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Admiral » December 17th, 2015, 3:04 pm

Can a hero, paralysed by a cloud of chaos spell, take a healing potion to save themselves from death?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » December 17th, 2015, 3:20 pm

Using NA vanilla rules, Yes, because the hero is "unable to attack, move, or defend himself" while the NA instruction booklet expressly allows him to take a potion immediately after losing his last body point.
The wording is key, we should salvage the instances where HQ uses clear, concise, and unambiguous wording.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby cynthialee » December 17th, 2015, 4:04 pm

The Admiral wrote:Can a hero, paralysed by a cloud of chaos spell, take a healing potion to save themselves from death?

I would have to argue no.
Paralysis...end of discussion as far as I am concerned.

Now I would allow another hero to attempt to potion or spell revive them if they can do it before it is too late.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » December 17th, 2015, 4:30 pm

cynthialee wrote:I would have to argue no.

This is not an argument, however. I get what you mean and why you do, but there's rules in words and they are clear about the game props and mechanics.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » December 17th, 2015, 7:55 pm

Agree with kk here... For once the rules are actually clear.
But even if you want to go by "ingame logic", being paralyzed could easily be to a degree that your feeble defenses are useless, but you can still bring a potion to your lips.

GimmeYerGold wrote:I am working on a simple fill-in-the-blank Character Will for the back of the character sheet, so the character can bequeath their belongings to the remaining characters, or include the name of their back up character :)

A fun way to prepare them for that inevitable moment when Zargon gets his way! :twisted:

Having your character visit ye olde insurance company in between quests. Fill out a life insurance form...
Next they can go to the bank and invest some gold in bonds. Maybe take a loan to buy that castle?
Maybe implement a mechanic that allows you to pay taxes of your quest rewards?

Yeah... fun...

:(

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby clmckay » December 17th, 2015, 8:48 pm

Hmmmm......I've got a limited banking system.......hmmmm..........making them pay taxes on their loot............gold sink!

Anyway. Never thought of a will. May be something to encourage immersion. What's your character sheet like? Mines posted around here somewhere....

There it is... Couldn't find it.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3195

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:

Postby The Admiral » December 19th, 2015, 3:13 pm

Well that sums up my thouights on it. By the strict writting of the rules, yes, but they're paralysed so it would defy reality.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules