• Advertisement

Ye Olde Inn is proudly hosted by

Proudly Hosted by MDD Hosting

Host your Website at MDD Hosting by clicking the logo above and Ye Olde Inn will receive a commission that we'll put toward keeping Ye Olde Inn online for everyone to enjoy!

There and Back Again: When do YOU end the Quest?

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: There and Back Again: When do YOU end the Quest?

Postby herman_the_german » Sunday December 6th, 2015 6:40pm

See the Indiana Jones DVD game for ideas. As soon as the objective is reached the temple starts falling apart, "random" tiles are taken out and Indy may very well get trapped if he's not careful. The game implementation of this is not really that great, but for such a simple game it works well enough.
On Heroquest you could destroy dungeon spaces randomly, but you might as well plan it out so that there is a logical solution.
herman_the_german

Mummy
Mummy

Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » Monday December 7th, 2015 9:57am

If the Heroes have no monster to face on the exit, the EWP wasn't very good. If the heroes were that good, the EWP should of stepped the game up a bit.

We have Chaos Tokens and these add a lot. Also a roll of double 1 is bad, trip roll a skull lose a BP. A Hero wants to roll as lil movement dice per quest as possible. Trying to escape with 1 BP is now a big problem.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
mitchiemasha

Ogre
Ogre

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby SirRick » Wednesday February 17th, 2016 8:12am

If the heroes are role playing their characters to be morons weird things can happen. I was playing a friend's quest pack as the barbarian and elf, and another friend played as the dwarf and wizard. My chracters would always survive and do all the work while his characters would often die almost every quest. One such instance, the wizard wandered off in a different direction while i was fighting monsters in the hallway near the center room. The wizard walked into a room that contained one mummy. He lured the monster out into the hallway and cast veil of mist to run back into the room to search for treasure. He drew a wandering monster card which was another mummy. After a desperate fight the wizard was pummeled down to 1 body point but managed to run around both mummies and was sprinting down the hallway towards the stairway. Because of my large battle in the hallway, the wizard took an alternate route. Just a few spaces away from the door to the stairway room he stumbled into a spear trap that killed him. We didnt run into it earlier because i went the other way out of the starting room. This scenario is unlikely but you never know what could happen on the way out. In this case we forgot to seach for traps in the first hallway.
SirRick

Orc
Orc

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » Wednesday February 17th, 2016 9:47am

SirRick wrote:you never know what could happen on the way out.

holy crap, your story above is what I'm talking about! Sure it was a headache at the time but it proves the point!!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » Wednesday March 29th, 2017 5:49pm

Back in the day we had learned to end a Quest early after the objective was achieved. Generally, further exploring was just grinding for treasure--pretty dull after a climax.

I think the uncertainty of a Morcar/Zargon deck would add enough interest to make the return to the spiral stairway worthwhile...especially for M/Z! I'm with GimmeYerGold here.
________
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS YOU

VOTE NOW!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Yeti
Yeti

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » Wednesday March 29th, 2017 6:47pm

If you're not playing with something like an EWP deck then there's no reason why the heroes shouldn't be able to move freely around explored areas (as long as they're working together of course) without the need to roll for movement. If you are playing with something like an EWP then it's worth taking turns as normal anyway so the problem kind of takes care of itself.

mitchiemasha wrote:If the Heroes have no monster to face on the exit, the EWP wasn't very good. If the heroes were that good, the EWP should of stepped the game up a bit.
:roll: Making changes on the fly and thereby making everything that happens completely redundant. That is NOT good EWPing, in my opinion.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Wanna learn martial arts? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHf7lqNU1J2cCmm4BtZC1XA
Tutorials coming soon.

Why drugs are illegal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH1B2HaInDg
Why they shouldn't be: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpOADDXIZpo&t=1s
DMT The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtT6Xkk-kzk

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Jafazo » Wednesday March 29th, 2017 10:49pm

I meet somewhere in the middle between letting them teleport and forcing them to journey back.

Once players feel they've completed the quest I let them take their maximum dice roll of 12 spaces to move, no dice rolling needed. They usually just backtrack for treasure and if they forget which rooms they haven't checked I let them know. They might move around and look for secret doors and so on, but they ultimately call it quits and make their way back.

On those Evil Wizard Player card, I glanced at them but I don't agree with their implementation. All they seem to do is make life harder for the heroes and that's an imbalance if quests are designed to be as balanced as possible without throwing more crap their way. Making the trip back to the stairway isn't included as a dramatically challenging aspect of the game if you ask me. It could be, at times, like in Rescuing Sir Rangnar, but it isn't always a major focal point in things enough to warrant turning every trip back into some kind of mini-game. If Zargon decides to throw in something extra at the heroes way back to the stairs, great, but even doing that will get old eventually.
Jafazo

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » Thursday March 30th, 2017 2:57am

Jafazo wrote:On those Evil Wizard Player card, I glanced at them but I don't agree with their implementation. All they seem to do is make life harder for the heroes and that's an imbalance if quests are designed to be as balanced as possible without throwing more crap their way.
You might prefer my random events then: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3031
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Wanna learn martial arts? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHf7lqNU1J2cCmm4BtZC1XA
Tutorials coming soon.

Why drugs are illegal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH1B2HaInDg
Why they shouldn't be: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpOADDXIZpo&t=1s
DMT The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtT6Xkk-kzk

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby slev » Friday March 31st, 2017 4:42am

Jafazo wrote:On those Evil Wizard Player card, I glanced at them but I don't agree with their implementation. All they seem to do is make life harder for the heroes and that's an imbalance if quests are designed to be as balanced as possible without throwing more crap their way.

Which is why mine tie into other mechanics, since my "advanced" Heroes have extra abilities, my "event deck" sets up a time preasure to make sure those abilities cannot be abused and to prevent the Heroes deliberately grinding the game.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Archmage
Archmage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » Friday March 31st, 2017 2:59pm

mitchiemasha wrote:If the Heroes have no monster to face on the exit, the EWP wasn't very good. If the heroes were that good, the EWP should of stepped the game up a bit.
:roll: Making changes on the fly and thereby making everything that happens completely redundant. That is NOT good EWPing, in my opinion.[/quote]

Yes i agree, there are ways of stepping up your game with out making changes on the fly.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
mitchiemasha

Ogre
Ogre

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules