• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Choosing Between EU, NA, and House Rules

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Incorrectly Played Rules

Postby alyndavies » August 10th, 2015, 1:45 pm

We do actually play the rules that monsters can open doors. I have to give myself some kind of a fighting chance. :D
alyndavies

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby mitchiemasha » August 11th, 2015, 10:49 am

alyndavies wrote:
mitchiemasha wrote:You must be playing UK stat monsters.

Yes.

There's you're problem right there.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Decipher » August 12th, 2015, 2:04 am

Question, why did they make the monsters along with the rules so different between countries?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » August 12th, 2015, 5:04 am

Decipher wrote:Question, why did they make the monsters along with the rules so different between countries?

Originally I think they thought a few hero's might have the odd brawl over treasure, etc. The first to lose a body point or 2 would soon back down. After a lot of plays, realised this rarely happen so changed it. Also a serious under estimate of how well, quick kids would figure out the mechanics to survive, where as mindlessly running around will still get you killed.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby alyndavies » August 12th, 2015, 11:49 am

Decipher wrote:Question, why did they make the monsters along with the rules so different between countries?

Clearly they looked at all the things they screwed up in the British version then changed it for the American version, it wasn't until coming here I was aware the US version was different.
alyndavies

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » August 12th, 2015, 12:01 pm

Usually you don't do multi BP Monsters in games with masses of models because it is too much work to note everything.
Maybe they overestimated the masses which are hurt at the same time.
When it turned out it is not so bad they used the new freedom and profited from the better game play with multi BP monsters.

That's just my guess of course.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » August 12th, 2015, 12:39 pm

I rather think that the 1 BP was the natural thing to do. "To beat a monster, a hero has to hit it". I think they implemented that without even thinking about giving monsters multiple BP along with the heroes, judging that power differences from monster to monster are conveyed in AD and DD. They simply thought Heroes: 25 body points vs. Monsters: 25 +/-10 body points was weighted and made for a great game (although I doubt even that train of thought). Then, for the NA version, what Anderas said.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Decipher » August 12th, 2015, 6:21 pm

Have any of you European guys played the N/A version and if so which do you prefer?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Redav » August 12th, 2015, 6:55 pm

I have been playing both rule sets with two different groups and I think that the multiple body points clearly makes it statistically harder (as you'd expect), but also causes the hero players to play more sensibly and tactically when the stronger monsters appeared on the board.
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Decipher » August 12th, 2015, 9:24 pm

Redav wrote:I have been playing both rule sets with two different groups and I think that the multiple body points clearly makes it statistically harder (as you'd expect), but also causes the hero players to play more sensibly and tactically when the stronger monsters appeared on the board.

Hey Redav, what does your signature mean?

Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Race Against Time

Is that where your group is at right now?

Rewards:
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules