• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Choosing Between EU, NA, and House Rules

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Choosing Between EU, NA, and House Rules

Postby sajungzak » April 16th, 2015, 7:05 pm

[This topic was renamed and split from the Incorrectly Played Rules topic on 10/05/15.]

I recommend US rules. I may be biased being as that's where I started, but often times where it differs US rules just seem to make more cents. i m o
Last edited by Daedalus on October 4th, 2015, 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: split topic
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Incorrectly Played Rules

Postby mitchiemasha » April 16th, 2015, 7:35 pm

A mix of both is usually the best option.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » August 6th, 2015, 4:20 pm

-wyvern- wrote:When i first started playing, i had this stupid house rule that the barbarian could swing his sword completely around him (one attack roll) harming any creatures in any square adjacent to him. It was devastating for goblins and such creatures.

I also tried to convince my players that they should only use the weapons that were physically on the miniature of their character.

What can I say, I was a kid.

This is actually one of the skills I allow my Trollslayer to learn:
2) Sweep – If you are equipped with a two-handed weapon, and kill a monster, you may make another attack against another adjacent monster as long as an obstacle or hero is not in between.

I also gave this skill to a NPC, Regdar, who was a special henchman to my Wizard.
Last edited by Daedalus on October 4th, 2015, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added quote for continuity in new topic

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Redav » August 6th, 2015, 10:23 pm

Same. The rule I have allows the barbarian and dwarf to sweep with the broardsword or battle axe and attack the second target with one less combat dice
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby alyndavies » August 7th, 2015, 9:53 am

When playing the game it seems 7 body and 3 mind, 3 attack, 2 defence, with 1 spell set is the ideal amount of skills for any player. It's almost impossible to kill the Barbarian, normally I just focus on the Wizard then the Elf when taking people out. You can normally get the wizard easily if they dont understand the character. If they get Borins armor, a helmet and shield and spirit blade your pretty much screwed though!
alyndavies

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » August 7th, 2015, 11:14 am

alyndavies wrote:When playing the game it seems 7 body and 3 mind, 3 attack, 2 defence, with 1 spell set is the ideal amount of skills for any player. It's almost impossible to kill the Barbarian, normally I just focus on the Wizard then the Elf when taking people out. You can normally get the wizard easily if they dont understand the character. If they get Borins armor, a helmet and shield and spirit blade your pretty much screwed though!

Nothing that catching this dude alone with 4 Chaos Warriors wouldn't cure...
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » August 8th, 2015, 5:10 am

alyndavies wrote:When playing the game it seems 7 body and 3 mind, 3 attack, 2 defence, with 1 spell set is the ideal amount of skills for any player. It's almost impossible to kill the Barbarian, normally I just focus on the Wizard then the Elf when taking people out. You can normally get the wizard easily if they dont understand the character. If they get Borins armor, a helmet and shield and spirit blade your pretty much screwed though!

You must be playing UK stat monsters.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby alyndavies » August 9th, 2015, 10:17 am

cynthialee wrote:Nothing that catching this dude alone with 4 Chaos Warriors wouldn't cure...

Doesnt really happen in any of the expansions though, the family members I play with tend to corner themselves or go into a corridor and take one monster at a time if their out numbered.

mitchiemasha wrote:You must be playing UK stat monsters.

Yes.
alyndavies

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » August 9th, 2015, 12:16 pm

There is no rule you have to fight the moment you see heroes. Run the monster away from the heroes and try and sandbag on them. When a new encounter happens run the 'cowards' back on the discovered board. I hate single monster encounters. Might as well just lay the monster down and give them free treasure.

I have a rule that if I can get a monster to the stairwell, I can return with up to 3 more monsters of the same type in 2 turns.
I ain't just gonna lay down and take it. I try and play as tactical as possible.

Add some monsters who can open doors. Run to a door you know has some serious back up inside the room and get help for the monsters.
The rules as written just seem to be an excuse to give out free treasure to heroes with few if any actual dangerous encounters.

Rules say monsters can't open doors. Rules also say card rules and quest notes override the rules book.
Put it in the quest notes that the wandering monster can open doors, or all Goblins can run for back up.
Last edited by Daedalus on March 31st, 2017, 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Combined double post
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cornixt » August 10th, 2015, 10:10 am

cynthialee wrote:I hate single monster encounters. Might as well just lay the monster down and give them free treasure.

This sounds like a dating service.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next