• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Spell targeting: How do you play it?

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Spell targeting: How do you play it?

Postby GimmeYerGold » July 25th, 2015, 7:55 pm

In the US Rules, Spells typically function by "line of sight," however in the UK rules, I understand they are played that you can cast a spell on any figure in the same room or corridor, OR any figure in your "line of sight."

I had originally gone along with the US rules, however, I could see how the UK rules could beef up the Wizard's functionality, which we can agree, is somewhat lacking in the US version.

Why do you think this rule was changed in the US version? Which way do you play prefer to play it, and why?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Spell targeting: How do you play it?

Postby knightkrawler » July 26th, 2015, 1:31 am

I use the UK rule for the reasons you gave yourself.
I don't think from UK to US the changes were wanted necessarily. Maybe it was one of the many mistakes writers made.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » July 26th, 2015, 2:59 am

We play "same room or corridor" - in part because that's simply the rule in our rulebook.
But I agree with the wizard's limited amount of spell casting, a little slack is in order.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » July 26th, 2015, 3:08 am

It's one of several small choices, which, taken together, can actually make the wizard attractive again.

I prefer that UK Rule.

* The Wizard is a little more useable than a crossbow
* However, the rule is not free enough to cast a spell from outside the danger zone.

So it is perfectly good. :)

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » July 26th, 2015, 2:38 pm

Seeing as there isn't any facing rules in HQ, i'm not sure it makes a difference.

Edit: wait a min so your telling me the Genie can only open a door you can see.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » July 26th, 2015, 5:46 pm

mitchiemasha wrote:Seeing as there isn't any facing rules in HQ, i'm not sure it makes a difference.

Edit: wait a min so your telling me the Genie can only open a door you can see.

The card rules override the game rules, so if it says "anywhere on the board" etc. it goes past line of sight or same room or whatever. Line of sight is regardless of facing, but UK plays it that you can have a hero standing between you and your target and as long as you are in the same room or corridor, you can still cast.

Rewards:
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby tasoe » July 26th, 2015, 6:13 pm

I have 3 types of "vision".

1. No vision. Line of sight from you to the target is blocked by a wall. Absolutely no spells can be cast on the target.
2. Indirect vision. Line of sight crosses another figure. You can cast spells that in my mind don't require some sort of projectile to be thrown from you to the target. Such spells include Tempest, Heal, Courage etc.
3. Direct vision. The same as when you shoot with a bow. You can cast everything, including projectile type of spells such as Fire of wrath, Fireball etc.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
tasoe

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Decipher » July 27th, 2015, 4:36 am

We play in the same room. Its no different than giving someone a potion or artifact.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby GimmeYerGold » July 27th, 2015, 10:30 am

Sounds like "in the same room" with spell targeting is the way to go at most tables :)

Decipher wrote:We play in the same room. Its no different than giving someone a potion or artifact.

So you allow that a Hero may hand off an item as long as they are in the same room? Do you allow it if monsters are around? (If so, is this move played like passing the potion over the Orc's head, like a game of Piggy in the Middle?) :lol:

Rewards:
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » July 27th, 2015, 1:16 pm

The difference between a spellcaster's line of sight and same room (or corridor) is even more crucial in corridors.
It's why I made my changes. I didn't want the Wizard to always go last through the hallways, being completely inactive all the freakin' time.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Official Rules