• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Searching Corridors

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Searching Corridors

Postby Redav » April 3rd, 2015, 6:37 pm

One of the rules that annoyed me was when searching a corridor and it's lack of logic because it was technically possible to search for secret passages in the long corridor from one end of the board and reveal the one down the end of the hall while not revealing the seven pit traps or nine spear traps in between, let alone the hoard of Chaos Warriors waiting to ambush the players half way along (although some might say this is a carrot being dangled to draw heroes into a trap). I think in our current games I decided that when you search for traps and passages (I don't allow searching for treasure in the interest of a quicker game), you search between you and junctions / corners but this still doesn't remove the slightly exaggerated annoyance from above.

While I have an untested house rule in my rules thread that's a bit different, I thought of a way to adjust the original rule as follows;
- you search between you and junctions / corners
- if you're searching for traps, you only find the closest trap*
- if you're searching for secret passages, you'll find the nearest passage but only if you don't trigger a trap in between

* this causes multiple searchings to slow down the progress of the heroes which might encourage them to be more reckless

Thoughts? Have others tried to better handle this situation? I haven't tried it yet but I think I'll try it when the second group finishes The Gathering Storm.
Last edited by Redav on April 9th, 2015, 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Searching Corridors

Postby Count Mohawk » April 3rd, 2015, 7:03 pm

One easy way to make searching more difficult is to put monsters in otherwise empty hallways. Even one or two Orcs put about halfway up the hall will be able to menace the Heroes with the threat of a quick attack, which gets compounded when said Orcs also have crossbows and can run away and force the Heroes to come to them. (The fireball-using Orc statues from one of the Ogre Horde quests operate on similar principles.)

Now, if you think that the Heroes are taking too long searching for things, you could also implement a set of Evil Wizard event cards like what chaoticprime or GimmeYerGold had. Searching every hallway? Now Morcar has a full hand again; was that really wise? :gargoyle:

I've never had a problem with the Heroes' ability to search an entire hallway for traps and secret doors, though. It may be a little contrived, but it's not unreasonable to Handwave for the sake of smoother gameplay.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby slev » April 15th, 2015, 7:35 am

This is simple to explain: The hero is so busy checking the walls that they miss and fall into the trap. The order of action is abstracted.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » April 15th, 2015, 11:31 am

A Hero can't search for treasure in corridors, not sure why you put "(I don't allow searching for treasure in the interest of a quicker game)" .

The logic could be that the Hero found a lever in this section of the hall way or could see light shining through the crack in the wall at the end of the hall. They haven't actually passed the junction that would of revealed monsters.

I'm also not sure why you put "reveal the one down the end of the hall while not revealing the seven pit traps or nine spear traps in between" as those traps would be revealed. Searching for secret doors and traps is the same action. The game logic still comes into question though as how would the Hero of discovered the further traps or secret door with out having to jump or disarm the ones closer. Perhaps it's more a case of just seeing the holes in the walls, hanging bolders, obvious loose flooring so the extra minute to just take look instead of barging through is enough to notice the hazards down the hall.

edit: Just checked the rules and it appears American you search for everything separate but can't search for treasure in corridors. The UK rules you can search corridors for treasure but traps and secret doors are same search.

I prefer mixing the 2.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Diggin » April 15th, 2015, 1:48 pm

Well in the US version every Hero is allowed to search a room once, instead of allowing the search in corridors. if you don't allow either, then there are only very few treasure cards drawn in a quest. I prefer the European rule and allow searches in corridors, because its too much work to keep track of who searched what. especially after a few beers.
"Good and Evil, there never is one without the other."
Diggin

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby slev » April 15th, 2015, 1:59 pm

To cover all the eventualities, I long ago ruled that you can do any of the three searches anywhere, but only draw treasure cards in rooms.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Redav » April 15th, 2015, 4:33 pm

mitchiemasha wrote:edit: Just checked the rules and it appears American you search for everything separate but can't search for treasure in corridors. The UK rules you can search corridors for treasure but traps and secret doors are same search.

I have two groups playing, one of each set of rules so I can see how the differences play out however, I didn't realise this;
mitchiemasha wrote:Searching for secret doors and traps is the same action.

So while this has been played correctly with the NA group, it's been played wrongly with the EU group.
I'm glad you've pointed this out, thanks :)
Campaign Status

Project's Status

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » June 1st, 2015, 1:34 am

I'm also bothered as Redav is by the logic of searching corridors. That said, I certainly understand how others are comfortable with the rules that handwave my "logic" in the interest of smoother gameplay.

Redav wrote:- you search between you and junctions / corners
- if you're searching for traps, you only find the closest trap*
- if you're searching for secret passages, you'll find the nearest passage but only if you don't trigger a trap in between

* this causes multiple searchings to slow down the progress of the heroes which might encourage them to be more reckless

Thoughts? Have others tried to better handle this situation? I haven't tried it yet but I think I'll try it when the second group finishes The Gathering Storm.

Redav, I've pretty much decided upon the same house rules as you to satisfy my sense of exploring. One change you may want to consider is allowing all traps in a section to be found in one search, as with a room. This will speed gameplay and still keep secret doors secret until they can be logically, though abstractly reached. I'm suggesting this with the seperate searches of the NA rules in mind.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Redav » June 1st, 2015, 5:33 am

Daedalus wrote:This will speed gameplay and still keep secret doors secret until they can be logically, though abstractly reached.

Yup, nothing like search after search to kill a game. I have an untested alternate method that essentially has you searching as you move but I had hoped to come up with something a little more logical
Campaign Status

Project's Status

Rewards:
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » June 1st, 2015, 6:26 am

HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Official Rules