• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

EU vs. JP rule comparison

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: EU vs. JP rule comparison

Postby Bob-Bob » Saturday August 15th, 2015 4:30am

I'm guessing you read the rules, in which case you'd know there is no treasure searching in the first three quests. Right? :P
Bob-Bob

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Postby Daedalus » Sunday October 4th, 2015 3:33pm

The Admiral wrote:This gets even more bizzare from quest 4 onwards. The Heroes, as a group, now receive the Talisman of Lore. I have seen different translations of this card. In one it revives each hero once per quest. As this is already an ability the heroes posess in the first three quests, the Talisman would not imbue anything extra and there would therefore be no point in it's miracleous arrival. In another it revives the heroes numerous times. This seems ridiculous as the heroes can now never die, but is the one I believe to be true. In one translation there is some group revival which I don't really understand? If someone could give a definitive translation of this card it would be most welcome.

I'd assume Bob-Bob's version is the most accurate, as his friend who helped with the translating actually understands Japanese. Theirs is the translation everybody has been calling for since the Japanese edition surfaced. I hope Bob-Bob can get him to translate the game cards for the Inn, as well.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Decipher » Sunday October 4th, 2015 4:39pm

Being a hardcore old school D&D player, the Quests "leveling up" idea is awesome. And the name Grimdead is so cool.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Decipher

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » Thursday August 18th, 2016 12:46pm

Grimdead sounds awkward to me. I know Chinese often prefers literal meaning in words: "Glasses" is an English example of this kind of word building, while "spectacles" differs a step. Whoever made the map wanted a Japanese literal-name translation rather than go with something that differed a bit, as with westernized names.

The name has also been translated as Glyn-ded by Google Translate and Glindeddo by majikayo in this post at Old Scratch.

majikayo wrote:The names for characters and locations are all written in katakana, so normally they would be the easiest part to translate. However, they’re also made-up fantasy-style names so the phonetic transliterations of them into English sound pretty bad. It might be worth reviewing those or just changing them if anyone decides to use this. I put some of those in italics to signify the clumsiness of translating them phonetically.

R's and L's are interchangeable. From that, I'd westernize the the name to an easier-to-say Grindeth (grinning skull + death.) My personal :2cents:
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Official Rules