• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

EU vs. NA rule comparison

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: EU vs. NA rule comparison

Postby mitchiemasha » October 23rd, 2016, 7:06 am

Goblin-King wrote:Then we have a lot of small rules that are different, but for no good reason really.

Every mod we've added has good reason, might not seem as obvious at first but it is there.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Daedalus » March 31st, 2017, 6:03 pm

Count Mohawk wrote:
Decipher wrote:I've been on these forums for a while now and I've seen a few dozen threads comparing the two versions. The simple question of why always pops up when I read these threads. It makes little sense to me to have two different versions of the same game. I do not recall this being true for any other type of table top game.

Consider the year the game was released originally and you may find your answer. If Milton-Bradley, or whoever owns them now, tried releasing a board game with different versions based on geographical location now, they'd surely fall afoul of players' ability to use the Internet to pick and choose the rulesets they preferred, rather than be artificially forced to play by the designers' intentions. Imports are also a thing.

However, EuroQuest was first released in 1989, with AmeriQuest coming shortly after in 1990. The Internet wasn't a thing back then; I think it only became mainstream around the turn of the century, which was almost ten years later. Before that, consumers didn't have anywhere near as much information available to them.

I'd like to think that the Euro version of HeroQuest was designed as sort of an early playtest beta, and they refined it in the intervening year before releasing it into the American market. However, that assumption makes the existence of separate expansions on each side of the ocean completely inexplicable...

Lots of good points there. I'd speculate that the differing expansions can probably be attributed to the licensing agreement between Games Workshop and the Hasbro/Milton Bradley division in Europe (and Australia.) After the companies parted ways, the North American division of Hasbro/MB needed to produce the next expansions free of GW intellectual property in order to have new product legally available.

The Dungeons and Dragons Fantasy Boardgame was never released in the North American market for similar reasons, and that was due to separate NA/EU Hasbro divisions alone! It seems dilemmas with rules extends beyond the game design to the company itself. :roll:

The NA Quest packs never sold well and we're discontinued fairly quickly, even as Hero Quest sales fell into decline. Hasbro/MB likely surmised they would bomb in Europe and Australia as well, so it never happened. That's how I see it, anyway.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Jafazo » March 31st, 2017, 6:28 pm

I don't know anything about why sales were better or worst so I won't speculate but one of the things I found neat about the UK rules over US is how searching for Traps & Secret doors are compiled into one single action. That's neat.
Unless you specify your version I'm going by the US rules.
Jafazo

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » November 24th, 2017, 1:11 pm

Goblin-King wrote:I edited the subject to reflect the specific question. Because, yeah... UK vs US does sound like the rule comparison thread.
It's fine to leave a specific question like this in it's own thread.

Fully agree, but why not also giving the "hardware" an entry of its own in here? I know, by definition it's about rule comparsion, but it might be nice to have it all in one place. We (Bob) may just add it as a sidenote.
"Additinoal Information: Hardware Differences" or something like that.

What comes to my mind:
- Rim around the bases of the European Figures.
- Card size.
- General American versus metric formats in the printed material.
- Blocked fields: Euopean debris vs. American masonwork (this one actually made it into the list, although being not related to rules whatsoever).
- Coloration of maps and design of Mentor's advise in the quest notes.
- If memory serves me right, the cardoard part of one piece of furniture (achemist's bench?) was missing in the Europen versino and addedin the American.

Any other ones I didn't thnk of?
What do ou thin of the idea in general?
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » November 24th, 2017, 1:42 pm

Let's compare rims and sizes !!!
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » January 1st, 2018, 2:05 pm

That deserves a rim-shot. Ba-DUM-Tshh

Bob-Bob wrote:. . .

Game Piece differences
EU: There are only 5 Artifact cards, and they’re called “Quest Treasure”. There’s no text on the back.
NA: 5 more Artifact cards have been added to make a total of 10. The backs also say “Artifact” on them.

EU: There is a set of 14 Equipment cards illustrating what can be bought at the Armory. They’re labeled WEAPON and ARMOR where appropriate.
NA: The Equipment cards have been replaced with a cardboard Armory sheet showing all of the equipment you can buy. Prices have also been slightly increased. The Bracers, Cloak of Protection, Hand Axe and Spear have been removed. The Dagger and Longsword have been added.

EU: There is a total of 25 Treasure cards that can be drawn: 2 Gem! 6 Gold! 1 Jewels! 1 Treasure Horde! 7 Potions, 3 Traps, 5 Wandering Monsters, and 1 Nothing!
NA: There’s 1 less Treasure card in total. 3 Gold!, Treasure Horde, Holy Water, Potion of Speed and Nothing! have been removed. 1 Gem!, 1 Jewels!, 1 Potion of Healing, 1 Trap! and 1 Wandering Monster have been added. Trap! is now called Hazard!. Treasure values have been decreased.

EU: All monsters only have 1 BP.
NA: Several monsters have been given more than 1 BP, and some have been given higher Attack and Defense values.

EU: Character Boards are large and feature a picture of Mentor along with a totally blank back.
NA: Character Boards are slightly smaller and feature reminder text on the back showing how a hero’s turn progresses.

EU: For the one quest where an enemy uses magic, he gets the Fire spells and the Wizard and Elf cannot use them.
NA: There is a brand new set of 12 cards called Chaos Spells. These are usable by various monsters according to the Quest Book.

EU: All monsters only have 1 BP, so there is no need to mark the damage.
NA: A set of Skull Tiles are included to use as damage markers. This is in case a monster takes damage but not enough to be killed in one turn.

EU: Wall tiles resemble piles of rocks.
NA: Wall tiles look more like bricks than piles of rocks.

That should be everything. Again, please let me know if I missed anything. . . .

Big Bene wrote:Fully agree, but why not also giving the "hardware" an entry of its own in here? . . .

What comes to my mind:
- Rim around the bases of the European Figures.
- Card size.
- General American versus metric formats in the printed material.
- Blocked fields: Euopean debris vs. American masonwork (this one actually made it into the list, although being not related to rules whatsoever).
- Coloration of maps and design of Mentor's advise in the quest notes.
- If memory serves me right, the cardoard part of one piece of furniture (achemist's bench?) was missing in the Europen versino and addedin the American.

Any other ones I didn't thnk of? . . .

- Text (and pictures) on inside of the Information Screen
- movement dice color
- color of the plastic figures
- ink color of the card text and B&W images
- art style on the back of the Spell Cards
- capitalization of US key terms
- box cover layout
- box cover interior assembly instructions
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby ajjohnsen » December 11th, 2019, 2:12 pm

I am so glad I found this website because you all on here are a massive wealth of knowledge for HQ! I've like seeing all the differences between the NA and UK rules and it got me wondering if any of the other country's versions have any other major/minor differences as well or if they're just translated off of the UK version?

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
ajjohnsen

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby wallydubbs » December 12th, 2019, 2:14 pm

ajjohnsen wrote:I am so glad I found this website because you all on here are a massive wealth of knowledge for HQ! I've like seeing all the differences between the NA and UK rules and it got me wondering if any of the other country's versions have any other major/minor differences as well or if they're just translated off of the UK version?

As far as I know, the European versions are practically the same, but I've heard of a name or two being changed in the Italian version, and a few specifications in quest notes are changed among the Dutch. Otherwise I can't say for the upmost certainty.

However, there is the Japanese version you can look into. This one is massively different, it makes the American and UK quest maps look like twins:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1610&hilit=Japanese+version

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby mesodom » May 14th, 2020, 5:54 pm

NA rules are best than EU, in EU Rules in particular spanish rules were contradicting, and all monster have only 1 body point. :lol:
mesodom

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: Español
Hero:

Postby Jesperj » October 2nd, 2020, 3:09 am

looks nice :)
Jesperj

Goblin
Goblin