• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

EU vs. NA rule comparison

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: EU vs. NA rule comparison

Postby slev » December 5th, 2014, 11:27 pm

1st ed Rock Skin and Courrage where twice as effective, but lasted one turn exactly.
1st ed equipmet deck had two Helmets and two Shields, but no Cloak of Protection or Bracers.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Bob-Bob » December 8th, 2014, 4:01 am

Ok, I had no idea that the cards were different between the first and second EU editions, but that seems like its own topic entirely. This thread is specifically for comparing the NA release with the EU release overall.
Bob-Bob

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » December 18th, 2014, 11:32 pm

Bob-Bob wrote:If you feel I missed anything, please let me know and be sure to tell me which page of the rules where I can find the difference.

I love this kind of post, so my comments are extensive. Many are elaborations that you may find unecessary. Though your focus is on the base games, I'll sometimes include some relevant expansion comments as was already done with the Mind Points entry. Unless otherwise stated, EU refers to the second edition rules.

Bob-Bob wrote:Mind Points (Pointed out by Sotiris)
EU: It is stated that if a hero runs out of MP, he dies as if he had run out of BP.
NA: It is simply mentioned that MP will be used in future expansions (and even then, running out of MP in those doesn't kill a hero, it only sends them into shock).

Shock was introduced in the EQP and the BQP. Before that, both KK and RotWL were adapted from their EU originals for NA release, so they retain other effects of lost Mind Points. In Quest 9 of the NA Kellar's Keep, The East Gate, Borrokk the Chaos Warlock can kill Heroes by attacking their Mind Points. In Quest 5 of the NA Return of the Witch Lord, Bellthor the Gargoyle's attacks can reduce MPs to 0 and force unconsciousness.

Bob-Bob wrote:Movement (Pointed out by Malcadon)
EU: The Heroes may not pass the same space in one turn, so they cannot backtrack.
US: Heroes are allowed to pass the same space however many times they want.

At least one HQ printing, p.8 of the British 2nd Edition Rules of Play, doesn't prohibit moving through the same square twice in the same turn. However, p.7 of the British 1st Edition Rules of Play does prohibit this movement. You should include both editions as seperate rules, as the British rules are the original releases.

Bob-Bob wrote:Opening Doors (Pointed out by Malcadon)
EU: A Hero must enter a door after opening it.
US: A Hero may open a door, look inside, and then choose not to enter it.

More clarification could help here. Entering a room is neither mandatory after opening a door in the British 1st edition, p.12, nor the British 2nd edition, p.8. However, if the room is entered, the 1st edition no-backtracking rule prevents exiting the room through the same door in that turn.

Bob-Bob wrote:Combat (Pointed out by Big Bene)
EU: Heroes are allowed to attack other heroes in addition to monsters.
NA: Heroes may only attack monsters.

The Chaos spell Command of the NA rules is and exception. It allows the Zargon player to control a Hero and cause him to attack another Hero.

Bob-Bob wrote:Searching for Treasure (Pointed out by GimmieYerGold)
EU: A hero may search for treasure in both rooms and corridors.
NA: The rules explicitly state that treasure can only be found in rooms, not in corridors.

NA expansions sort of break this rule. In Quest 4 of KK, The Dwarven Forge, a "special room" is made from a short, blocked-off corridor section designated in room-white on the map. The EU version lacks this feature. In Quest 2 of RotWL, The Cold Halls, there is a similar "special room." In the EQP's Quest 1, The Avenger Returns, a trap door is placed within a short, blocked-off, gray section of corridor. The trap door description says they connect rooms. Does this corridor-room permit a treasure search?

Bob-Bob wrote:Searching for Traps
EU: If a hero finds a trap, the evil wizard must place it on the board.
NA: If a hero finds a trap, the evil wizard must tell them where it's located but must not place it.

EU spear traps are rendered harmless when found. NA spear traps must be disarmed or jumped, otherwise they are sprung when stepped on.

Bob-Bob wrote:Inside Pits
EU: You may not search while inside a pit.
NA: You may search the inside of a pit as though it were a room.

Only one Hero may occupy a sprung pit trap square in the EU rules (p.8), but a Hero and another Hero (or possibly a monster) may occupy a sprung pit trap square in the NA rules (p.13).

Bob-Bob wrote:Falling Rocks
EU: If you’re hit by a falling rock, the rules simply say to “move to an adjacent square” and mentions that if there’s no place to move, the hero dies.
NA: You’re given the choice to move to the space in front of or behind the rock, but the rules don’t say anything about what to do if there’s no place to move.

EU: The trap affects an adjacent space indicated by an arrow.
NA: There always should be an empty space to move to, as the triggering Hero must have just vacated another square space at the beginning of his movement. The Hero's turn is ended as with most traps, but first a choice is added with unconditional, mandatory movement: "Move to the space you have decided upon." This is an exception to general movement. I would say it could have been made clearer, but that's Hero Quest for ya.

Bob-Bob wrote:Jumping
EU: Only sprung pit traps may be jumped.
NA: If a hero knows there is an unsprung pit, falling rock or spear trap in the way, they may attempt to jump it.

EU rules p.12 state once found, a pit trap is placed onto the board. It is also stated characters and monsters may jump across a pit trap. It is not stated a pit trap must first be sprung, but it is possible to jump one using the jump rule.

Bob-Bob wrote:Pits in Corners
EU: The rules do not describe what to do if a pit is located in a corner.
NA: The rules state that if a pit is in a corner, the hero may only jump to the space immediately after it. If there is a monster in the way, the hero has no choice but to fall into the pit.

On p.12, the EU rules state, "There must be an unoccupied space adjacent to the pit for the miniature to jump onto." A space located diagonally across a pit in a corner is adjacent, so a corner pit may be jumped if a character or monster has enough movement.

Bob-Bob wrote:Disarming Traps
EU: A hero with a Tool Kit or a Dwarf may remove any revealed traps simply by standing next to them. A hero with a Tool Kit must roll a white or black shield (3/6 chance) while the Dwarf removes the trap instantly.
NA: Heroes may only remove unrevealed traps and must step onto the trapped space to do so, then roll 1 combat die to determine their success. A hero with a Tool Kit must roll a white or black shield (3/6 chance) while the Dwarf must roll anything but a black shield (5/6 chance).

Page 21 of the NA rules state, "As a Hero, to disarm an unsprung trap, you must first know its location, and you must possess a tool kit (or be the Dwarf)." To know the location of a trap it must first have been searched for and discovered (revealed). It may then be disarmed (p.18).

Bob-Bob wrote:Sharing Items
EU: There is nothing about sharing items.
NA: It is mentioned that heroes are allowed to share gold with one another. It also also mentioned that one hero may pass a potion to another hero, but only on their own turn.

Mention is also made that artifacts may be given to another player in the Wizard example on p.17 of the NA rules.

Bob-Bob wrote:Dead Heroes
EU: If a hero dies, a monster may steal his belongings on the evil wizard’s next turn if a hero has not already picked them up.
NA: These rules say that if there are no fellow heroes in the room, the monsters steal the dead hero’s belongings automatically.

Strangely, the EU rules stipulate a monster must move into the room or corridor the dead Hero is in on the next evil wizard player's turn. This opens the possibility that a monster can kill a Hero in an isolated area but lack the movement to leave, then re-enter to claim the equipment.

Bob-Bob wrote:Becoming a Champion (Pointed out by Malcadon)
EU: After a completing three quests, a hero attains the title of "Champion". In the first edition, this is accompanied by a reward of 500 gold. The second edition does not include this reward.
NA: A hero becomes a Champion after completing all 14 quests. There is no reward for it.

No reward for it--are you kidding? Maidens dig Champions.

Bob-Bob wrote:Rules unique to the EU version (Pointed out by Malcadon)
- The first edition proposes that the players practice in Mentor's arena, then move into first quest, called 'The Maze'.
- In the second edition, 'The Maze' has been replaced with a new quest called 'The Trial'. Instead of the arena, the players are told to play an 'Introductory game' that only uses the Monster cards.

EU p.14: Monsters may never land on the stairway tile.
The NA version of The Trial is basically the same as the EU version, but there are a few monster placement and Quest treasure differences.

Bob-Bob wrote:Character Sheet differences

The EU version saw the release of another character sheet in the Adventure Design Kit. It contains blank sections for Name and Character, Mind, Body, Equipment, Treasure, and Tasks Completed.

Bob-Bob wrote:That should be everything. Again, please let me know if I missed anything. Hopefully I'll be able to get to doing a Europe vs. Japan rule comparison next. :D

At a glance, the other components looked fine--I skipped over them for now. Here's an added difference not yet discussed above:

Wandering Monsters
EU: If a Wandering Monster can't be placed adjacent to the searching character, then the evil wizard player places it elsewhere in any vacant space in the same room or passage.
NA: If a Wandering Monster can't be placed adjacent to the searching Hero, then Zargon places it in the room as close as possible to the searcher.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » December 22nd, 2014, 7:49 pm

I found a few more things to comment on after reviewing the game components section.

Bob-Bob wrote:Game Piece differences

EU: All monsters only have 1 BP.
NA: Several monsters have been given more than 1 BP, and some have been given higher Attack and Defense values.

The NA rules also gave Chaos Warriors and Zombies movement increases. You detailed those below.

Bob-Bob wrote:Artifact differences

EU: Orc’s Bane says WEAPON.
NA: Orc’s Bane says May not be used by the Wizard.

EU: Spirit Blade says WEAPON.
NA: Spirit Blade says May not be used by the Wizard.

The EU cards refer to monsters in plural, while NA cards refer to monsters in the singular. This can lead to confusion when figuring targeting for Orc Bane's extra attack.

Bob-Bob wrote:Equipment differences

EU: Staff sets Attack to 2.
NA: Staff sets Attack to 1. Mentions that you cannot use a Shield with it.

The 2 AD of the EU staff was transfered to the Wizard-exclusive Wizard's Staff artifact.

Bob-Bob wrote:EU: Tool Kit allows you to remove any trap you find. Mentions that if you roll a skull, you fail to remove the trap.

One Body Point of damage is also mentioned, though the trap is removed regardless of the die roll.

Spell card differences

Bob-Bob wrote:EU: Rock Skin does not mention when the spell wears off.

"The spell may be cast on any one player....The spell is broken when that player is wounded." Though never mentioned on the card or in the rules, wounded is having Body Points reduced, isn't it?

Bob-Bob wrote:EU: Sleep can be cast on other heroes. Can be defended by rolling 1 white die per MP. If a shield is rolled, the spell does not work. Can be broken by rolling 6 at the start of the target’s turn.
NA: Sleep can only be cast on monsters. Can be defended or broken by rolling 1 red die per MP. If a 6 is rolled, the spell is broken. Cannot be cast on Mummies, Zombies or Skeletons.

The EU Sleep is broken if the target is attacked, though the NA version doesn't include this condition.

Bob-Bob wrote:EU: Veil of Mist mentions that the target can move through other heroes for some reason.
NA: Veil of Mist does not mention other heroes.

EU rules allow for any obstructing player to prevent another player from passing through its square (p.8.) As a Hero could do this to prevent another Hero access to treasure or some other goal, the wording includes other players.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Infje » January 5th, 2015, 4:10 pm

Thank you for this topic. Excellent discussion and lots of useful information. It's appreciated guys and I just wanted to express that :)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Infje

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » July 8th, 2015, 3:28 pm

Was the NA rule included about the number of treasure searches that could be performed?

In NA, each Hero may search a room once for treasure, (4 total searches per room) in the UK version, I don't believe there is a limit? Or each Hero may only search a room or corridor only once for treasure?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » July 8th, 2015, 4:34 pm

I checked both rule books for the EU version, and I couldn't find any restrictions on Searching within them. I could swear I read somewhere that the EU ruleset limited Treasure searches to "once per room", though...

(Note that this would be "once per room" full-stop; i.e. one search in total, rather than the American "once per Hero per room". )

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » July 8th, 2015, 5:14 pm

I allow only one search for treasure per room, except for furniture and features that are indicated as otherwise. Prevents them from eating up game time in just looting.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby sajungzak » July 9th, 2015, 12:38 am

cynthialee wrote:I allow only one search for treasure per room, except for furniture and features that are indicated as otherwise. Prevents them from eating up game time in just looting.

I play US rules as written here. I've found that as long as you return all baddies and shuffle the treasure deck every time it's used, the 'looting' is kept to a minimum. I make a big point out of shuffling; at my table, the hero player has to cut the deck him/herself.

"Wanna search for treasure? Hmm... what was the wandering monster in this quest... Oh yeah. Ok, here, tap or cut?"
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Decipher » August 1st, 2015, 10:00 pm

Our rule is: one treasure room search per character and it counts as an action. You can only search a room if you can not see a monster and you can search that room only once. However, you may search furniture without it counting as an action. This is the N/A version.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules