• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

EU vs. NA rule comparison

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: EU vs. NA rule comparison

Postby Oftkilted » December 30th, 2020, 4:32 pm

Kurgan, now the question is “First or second EU edition”? 8-) |_P
Oftkilted

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » December 30th, 2020, 10:41 pm

I'm going to probably say 2nd, even though I like the idea of searching corridors... oops, I mean "passages" for Treasure.

Are even all the different assets from the Premiere Edition documented? I think a few card scans were posted and the Instruction Rule book have been on the Inn forever, (and the Maze) but are there any other differences on the cards that we know of?

Before I print out a whole new set, it would be nice to know if only a couple of ones were actually different between the two editions.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » January 12th, 2021, 6:47 pm

A couple of new questions occurred to me. And forgive me but I can't seem to find the answer, and I see it has confused some of those who were converting EU quest maps to NA style...

So in the EU quest maps, whenever there is a "Falling Block Trap" it shows the falling boulder, and an arrow next to it. Now how I have always interpreted that, is the "arrow" is the actual square on which the trap is. Meaning if you step on it, you spring the Trap. The boulder icon is just to show what it is. Whereas on the NA quest maps, there is no arrow, the boulder icon IS the square the trap is on.

Now some seem to have interpreted it differently. So can someone clarify... it's NOT the square the "arrow is pointing to" or the square the Boulder is on which is trapped, but the "arrow square" itself, right?

Because I see in "Against the Ogre Horde" that there are a few instances of rooms where you can be trapped forever. In fact, in quest 2, it looks like at least two Heroes will be trapped, because in the second to last room (only one path) unless you get lucky and find the trap (after killing enough monsters), you are going to have to either try to jump the trap (opening a door in the process) or disarm it. Otherwise, somebody gets a head-full of rock and has to move forward (or be trapped) and then hopefully it wasn't the same person who had the Pass Through Rock Spell (who can then try to get through) but that least two others. No Spell Scrolls or Elven Cloak of Passage artifacts in that pack...

Edit: I guess technically you can win just by keeping the center room of monsters for one turn. So the door to "escape" is just for fun if someone wanted to exit the quest, it's not really a "game over" scenario.

Another question I had was relating to the EU 2nd edition (Instruction rulebook, see pp.7-10). It sounds like there's an "introductory game" and then "the full game." While the 1st edition had something about fighting goblins (and possibly other heroes) in a single room to "practice" the 2nd edition makes it sound like you are actually supposed to play "the Trial" without Magic because it says the only cards used are the Monster cards. Now I see that the Maze actually has secret doors (which don't use cards) so maybe they only mean no Treasure cards are used, because The Trial (EU Ed.) certainly has treasure chests that reveal stuff. So if you search and there's no specified Treasure, you just get nothing every time?

If you aren't allowed to use Magic, this makes the quest a LOT harder, and I feel sorry for whoever picks the Wizard in this quest!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » January 12th, 2021, 8:05 pm

Kurgan wrote:A couple of new questions occurred to me. And forgive me but I can't seem to find the answer, and I see it has confused some of those who were converting EU quest maps to NA style...

So in the EU quest maps, whenever there is a "Falling Block Trap" it shows the falling boulder, and an arrow next to it. Now how I have always interpreted that, is the "arrow" is the actual square on which the trap is. Meaning if you step on it, you spring the Trap. The boulder icon is just to show what it is. Whereas on the NA quest maps, there is no arrow, the boulder icon IS the square the trap is on.

Now some seem to have interpreted it differently. So can someone clarify... it's NOT the square the "arrow is pointing to" or the square the Boulder is on which is trapped, but the "arrow square" itself, right?

Because I see in "Against the Ogre Horde" that there are a few instances of rooms where you can be trapped forever. In fact, in quest 2, it looks like at least two Heroes will be trapped, because in the second to last room (only one path) unless you get lucky and find the trap (after killing enough monsters), you are going to have to either try to jump the trap (opening a door in the process) or disarm it. Otherwise, somebody gets a head-full of rock and has to move forward (or be trapped) and then hopefully it wasn't the same person who had the Pass Through Rock Spell (who can then try to get through) but that least two others. No Spell Scrolls or Elven Cloak of Passage artifacts in that pack...

Edit: I guess technically you can win just by keeping the center room of monsters for one turn. So the door to "escape" is just for fun if someone wanted to exit the quest, it's not really a "game over" scenario.

Another question I had was relating to the EU 2nd edition (Instruction rulebook, see pp.7-10). It sounds like there's an "introductory game" and then "the full game." While the 1st edition had something about fighting goblins (and possibly other heroes) in a single room to "practice" the 2nd edition makes it sound like you are actually supposed to play "the Trial" without Magic because it says the only cards used are the Monster cards. Now I see that the Maze actually has secret doors (which don't use cards) so maybe they only mean no Treasure cards are used, because The Trial (EU Ed.) certainly has treasure chests that reveal stuff. So if you search and there's no specified Treasure, you just get nothing every time?

If you aren't allowed to use Magic, this makes the quest a LOT harder, and I feel sorry for whoever picks the Wizard in this quest!

The square with the block is the trigger. The block then lands on the arrow.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » January 12th, 2021, 8:45 pm

Interesting, so a Falling Block Trap never lands on your head, but it could land on the head of the poor guy standing on the "arrow" square?

I know the mechanic for revealing searched for traps is different too...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » January 12th, 2021, 9:05 pm

Kurgan wrote:Interesting, so a Falling Block Trap never lands on your head, but it could land on the head of the poor guy standing on the "arrow" square?

If you search for traps they are placed on the board. A Dwarf automatically disarms placed traps. Other Heroes need a tool kit. (Can’t remember if they roll...where is that instruction book).

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » January 12th, 2021, 9:16 pm

I just read about The Trial and indeed it does say no magic or treasure cards etc.

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » January 12th, 2021, 9:22 pm

j_dean80 wrote:
Kurgan wrote:Interesting, so a Falling Block Trap never lands on your head, but it could land on the head of the poor guy standing on the "arrow" square?

If you search for traps they are placed on the board. A Dwarf automatically disarms placed traps. Other Heroes need a tool kit. (Can’t remember if they roll...where is that instruction book).

Oh I just wondered if you find the "Trigger" then AND the spot where the boulder drops. The "not falling on the same spot as the trigger" raises an interesting scenario, since Monsters don't trigger traps, you could accidentally drop a Block onto a Fimir, let's say, and most likely kill it!

Another interesting thing about the 1st edition instructions is that "the Maze" can be played over and over again (you don't automatically advance to the next quest). Then again I guess that was always true, nothing says you can only play each one once, though playing them in order is recommended.

I see, page 13 of the 2nd EU edition instructions ("Rules of Play"). It also says that the Traps info is listed on the back of the Game Screen. Anybody got a readable scan of that?
Last edited by Kurgan on January 12th, 2021, 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » January 12th, 2021, 9:30 pm

j_dean80 wrote:

Traps when found or tripped are placed on the board. Hero with a tool kit may move adjacent and remove the trap. A Dwarf removes any trap he is adjacent to up to 1 per turn.

Another interesting fact is - “Once found, secret doors remain open for the rest of the game.” - says nothing about having to open them.
Last edited by j_dean80 on January 12th, 2021, 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » January 12th, 2021, 9:32 pm

So what does it say on the "Game Screen"?

Yep, I was shocked when I found that out about them already being open (as the Tile itself implies). All that collecting extra doors for nothing...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext