• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Incorrectly Played Rules

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Incorrectly Played Rules

Postby Redav » July 28th, 2014, 11:53 pm

Clearly there's a 'little' ambiguity with the wording of some rules but those aside, are there any rules that you've discovered that you played wrong? Did you then correct your application of the rule or did you carry on?

Combat
20+ years ago when I first received HQ I didn't play the combat correctly. I did two things wrong;
- combat was to the death
- your roll determined both attack and defence results
I corrected these when I started playing again

Searching
I have a had a few things not quite right;
- when searching for traps, I didn't identify where something was, I simply put out the pit trap or ignored the spear trap etc
- even though I removed the good treasure cards, I wasn't shuffling the cards before drawing one
I corrected these recently

Line of Sight
I wasn't as strict with this for spells and missiles
I'm playing stricter now

There's probably more that I can't think of.
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Incorrectly Played Rules

Postby TMU » July 29th, 2014, 3:48 am

I've played line of sight wrong. Never have played so that you can see around the corner if standing cornerwisely in the LoS that is stated in the rulebook. Still playing like that |_P
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Malcadon » July 29th, 2014, 5:28 am

When I first played, I made the following mistakes:
  • Heroes and Monster can fight adjacent and diagonal opponents.
  • A figure standing next to an enemy figure must defeat it's opponent, as braking off from an enemy invites a free attack with no defense roll.
  • After a normal attack, the defender was granted a free counter-attack, even when attacked by multiple opponents.
  • Unless a room notes any special treasure in the Quest Book, it would be empty of treasure.
  • Defeating a normal (Greenskin or Undead) monster granted a draw from the Treasure deck.
  • Defeating a Chaos Warrior or Gargoyle gave the victor an Artifact card.
  • Drinking a potion or opening a door counted as an action.
  • Monsters and Heroes could open and close doors.
  • If the Elf or Wizard defeats a monster with Chaos Spells, they can learn it, and use it in the next adventure.
Before playing HeroQuest, I was still learning the rules of D&D (mixed with some house rules from my first DM and a lot of misunderstandings of the D&D rules), and I played it as such. After the first awkward game (of HQ), I took the time to read the Rulebook and was able to play the game better the second time around. (Just think what might happen if the Heroes got access to spells like Command, Lightning Bolt, Firestorm or Summon Orcs/the Undead? Rust and Escape would have been tricky to implement.)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Malcadon

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby tomye » August 1st, 2014, 3:13 pm

Do you allow to use a spell or missile over a table?
I mean they block the path but do they really block line of sight as well since there is nothing explicit in the rules?
tomye

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: Deutsch
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby TMU » August 1st, 2014, 3:41 pm

tomye wrote:Do you allow to use a spell or missile over a table?
I mean they block the path but do they really block line of sight as well since there is nothing explicit in the rules?

I do.The rules suck on some things, but that is actually good so everyone can make their own houserules :)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby tomye » August 1st, 2014, 4:15 pm

Is there anything in the rules where it says that you cannot move on a square with a table? In guess not. The people just assume that...
tomye

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: Deutsch
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby TMU » August 1st, 2014, 5:30 pm

tomye wrote:Is there anything in the rules where it says that you cannot move on a square with a table?

Nothing of a kind. :p

Rewards:
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Teldurn » August 2nd, 2014, 11:30 pm

I have houseruled that. For my group, it takes one extra movement to move into a square with a piece of furniture that can allow movement. This automatically disallows moving onto bookshelf squares or something.
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby kingdragun1983 » August 10th, 2014, 2:04 am

when i first started i put everything out on the board and didnt no when to use closed doors so i always put out open ones
kingdragun1983

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 24th, 2014, 3:33 am

There is a searching-with-monsters rule I haven't yet played by the book, but it is controversial and most anybody would rather play it intuitively by house-ruling. http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1810

tomye wrote:Do you allow to use a spell or missile over a table?

Depends on the figure. I discussed this issue in another thread: http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1734&p=25059#p25059

tomye wrote:Is there anything in the rules where it says that you cannot move on a square with a table? In guess not. The people just assume that...

If the skies parted and Hero Quest were to be reprinted, that is one rule I'd like to see covered.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Next

Return to Official Rules