• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Searching with monsters present--allowed!

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Searching with monsters present--allowed!

Postby Goblin-King » August 14th, 2013, 10:59 am

TMU wrote:I would also allow players to search while the monster is under a sleep spell, how would it affect you? IT'S SLEEPING!

You can't both search thoroughly and be quiet!
No problem fighting another monster RIGHT NEXT to it though :lol:

But seriously, I actually think I'd allow searching. If nothing else, then to make the most of the few spells the magic users have.
The wizard doesn't really have anything going besides his spells. I see no problem in allowing these little perks.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby knightkrawler » August 14th, 2013, 11:22 am

I concur.
Now I have to think about how I'm gonna put that into words.
And where: in the actual rules or on the Sleep card?
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby TMU » August 14th, 2013, 2:12 pm

Goblin-King wrote:You can't both search thoroughly and be quiet!

You forgot the fact that it's a spell, they only wake up if they can break the spell. ;)
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » August 14th, 2013, 2:29 pm

But noise makes it easier for them to wake up!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » August 14th, 2013, 2:34 pm

Psssh...!
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby IvenBach » August 14th, 2013, 6:09 pm

I think Daedalus is pretty keen on his Clinton-esque definitions. There will always be one of those rules rapers out there trying to take advantage of unsuspecting and innocent little rules. It always helps having them brought to your attention so you're not caught off guard while a games in progress. Nothing worse than having players try milking the rules because of vague inconsistencies, misinterpretations, or inferences.

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Redav » August 14th, 2013, 9:22 pm

TMU wrote:I would also allow players to search while the monster is under a sleep spell, how would it affect you? IT'S SLEEPING!

Yeah, I would too. I'd go so far as to say it's not simply sleeping, it's magically held unconscious so searching wouldn't be an issue. However...

The Road Warrior wrote:What about a test roll to see if it wakes up?

I like this idea. Instead of a waking test at the start of the monsters turn, it could be done when you search and immediately attacks the nearest hero as this is the risk of searching with a sleeping monster.
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » August 14th, 2013, 10:11 pm

Here would be my suggestion, if we were going with the "searching and making noise makes it easier
for them to break the spell" idea:

Allow a roll twice each turn. Don't change what breaks the spell, just allow two chances each turn.
Sounds fair to me.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » August 15th, 2013, 1:07 am

I'm just gonna change the wording in the rules to something containing that searches are not allowed when a hero can see an active monster.
An inactive monster is laid down on its square and there's gonna be a marker for sitting off. From Descent, as almost all my markers.
The Sleep spell card text won't change.
Of course, this is only a solution for anyone re-writing the whole rule book. Hehe.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » August 18th, 2013, 11:18 pm

While I'm not sure without playtesting whether rewording the search rules in order to clarify the visiblile monster restriction is the way to go, some kind of houseruling is necessary either way. Searching for treasure stipulates "...you may search a room for treasure only if the room is uninhabited by monsters." This still allows for the inconsistancy where a monster can be just outside the room in an open doorway, completely visible, while a Hero searches undistubed beyond some kind of invisible barrier.

The houserule that most everyone seems to favor (my previous group included) is to combine both restrictions for all searches--no monsters may be visible in a room or corridor, and no monster may be present in the room. (The latter stipulation must be amended to include corridors as well.) This is fairly straightforward, so it's easy to see its appeal in a straightforward game like Hero Quest. As simplicity is a key trait in the game, this probably makes for the best option.

Yet among other things, forums are for exploring options and comparing experiences, so I worked up an alternate houserule to preserve the seperation of search restrictions presented in the rules. It includes part of knightkrawler's earlier idea about threatening monsters, which seems to fit its spirit, and it also addresses Goblinking's practical concerns about searching for a trap or secret door beyond an obstructing Hero in view of a monster. Only traps and secret doors searches are included, as those are location specific and can benefit from tactical placement of Heroes. For more-generalized treasure searches the "no monsters present or visible in the room" idea from the general houserule noted above works fine. Here it is:

Any trap or secret door in a room or
    corridor may be searched for and
    found if no monster is visible and
    able to reach the Hero on its turn,
    and moving to the trap or secret
    door wouldn't make such a monster
    visible.
I'd treat a sleeping monster seperately from a monster under a sleep spell effect, but waking rules could also work. Exceptions to such instances are judged against the wording "able to reach the Hero", which was originally included to satisfy a portion of knightkrawler's point about threatening monsters. This house rule treats nonvisible but otherwise theatening monsters differently from knightkrawler's houserule, but it could accommodate his ideas more completely by subtituting "...no monster is visible or able to reach the Hero..."

Why all the fuss? Well, this house rule allows for secret door and trap searching behind the lines of battle. That gives less combat-ready Heroes something useful to do. Perhaps a secret door must be found to bypass an invincible threat within the room, or a special trap monster which is activated by entering a room can be deactivated by a trap search. For example, Quest notes would state a Hero (the Wizard or Elf) must take a Search for Traps action in order to read a magic book at the Alter. It banishes an attacking malevolent spirit within the room while the others keep it busy. I'm sure there's more tactical and thematic possibilities available to creative Quest makers.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules