• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Searching with monsters present--allowed!

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Searching with monsters present--allowed!

Postby Decipher » June 29th, 2013, 3:02 am

Daedalus, think you might be over examining the rules. ;)

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Daedalus » June 30th, 2013, 4:14 pm

I'd say just examining them. If you don't take a search action, you won't find any hidden links, pitfalls, or gems in the rules. :geek: And now for some more over-examination...

knightkrawler wrote:
Daedalus wrote:This is because the Orc isn't visible to the Elf

What if I just overlook this? I think the Elf is aware of that Orc. Anything else just doesn't make sense.
He sees part of the Orc, he hears it, he even smells it probably (and this isn't meant to be Elf-specific) and if he doesn't, the Wizard will tell him: "Oh pansy-elf. In case you haven't noticed, there's another Orc right behind me."

See the bottom of this post about your house rule and how it relates to what I think is at work here for rationalization.

knightkrawler wrote:I just want to say that I've always played that way.
Hero looks down a corridor, ALL monsters along that corridor are put on the board.
I just do not get any other vibe from the rules. Of course you see a Chaos Warrior standing 7 squares behind an Orc when you look down a corridor, and for me,
"seeing" and "line-of-sight" has always been about "noticing" and "line-of-rough-overview" so to speak.

Oh man, I hadn't thought about looking down a corridor, but as you point out the "see" rule applies here as well. Here I go again. It's detailed on p.13 of the NA Instruction Booklet in two successive parts. The first is in Looking And Opening Doors:

As a Hero, while moving, you may
    "look" down a corridor or through an
    open door. Looking gives you the
    opportunity to see what is directly
    within you line of sight, such as closed
    doors, blocked square spaces, and
    monsters....

Note that "look" is quoted, setting it as a defined term with the parameters set in the text above. The second part is found under How Zargon Reacts To Movement:

...When a Hero "looks" down a corridor,
    place on the gameboard any closed
    doors, blocked square tiles, and
    monsters that are directly within the
    Hero's line of sight. (See page 15
    "SEE" for clear line of sight.) When a
    Hero opens a door, place on the game-
    board the monsters, treasure chests,
    and any other items that belong in that
    room....

It is important to realize that the rules state a monster or Hero can obstruct line of sight to another figure, but this doesn't include a door or blocked square tile. This is because a door or blocked square tile uses a visible face or edge instead of the required center for a target. Therefore, when a Hero looks down a corridor, Zargon must place all doors and blocked square tiles that are directly within a Hero's line of sight. Intervening monsters have no effect on them.

However, only those monsters that are directly within the Hero's line of sight--visible using the "see" rule--may be placed. This means that monsters at the rear may be hidden from view in the corridor. Kill that Orc, and a Chaos Warrior can be placed behind it, ready for the next Hero or a retaliatory attack. This is rules as written. I'm not saying anyone has to play this, but I am saying it's worth considering. Maybe, just maybe, the author intended this.

Placing monsters in a room isn't governed by the "see" rule, and serves as a counterpoint highlighting the importance of observing the line of sight rule in narrow corridors. It seems a different game was intended for these different environments.

knightkrawler wrote:Even if a hero in that aforementioned scenario - looking down a corridor - doesn't see, say, a Goblin standing behind a Chaos Warrior (there you have a valid point), the CW will tell the Goblin "Hey, Orc-poo, look, a hero. Let's kill him!" and thus, the goblin is activated.
That's me as Morcar/Zargon, right there...

Yeah, you could activate the Goblin--and why not? The rules don't prevent a figure from moving to an opponent that isn't visible and attacking it from an adjacent square (or diagonally with the right weapon). Since figures are allowed to pass through friendly figures, the Evil Wizard/Sorcerer player could first throw a concealed, rearward Goblin rushing at a distant Barbarian to pin him down (making the Goblin visible). This would not only burn the Barbarian's attack on the Goblin, but also temporarily obscure line of sight to the Chaos Warrior. As the Goblin was slain the Chaos Warrior would be revealed one move closer and ready to strike first on the maniacally-cackling Evil Wizard/Sorcerer player's next turn. (Yeah, I know this rails against your sensibilities, but your post keeps feeding me ideas.) :P
______________________________________________________________________________________________

knightkrawler wrote:But closer to the thread topic as originally conceived by you, Daedalus, I had about the same thought and presented a little special rule here: http://www.yeoldeinn.com/hqforum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1765&hilit=optional+rules
Search in the Presence of Monsters
A Hero may search even though he can see a monster IF that monster has no way to attack that Hero until the beginning of that Hero's next turn.
(That means, for example the Hero can search, even though the monster can attack the other hero blocking its path, killing him, and then being free to move up to the searching hero... cause the monster's attack for that turn is done).
...For those thinking about the Searching in Presence of monsters (im)possibility. I'm aware of your (Daedalus') thoughts about it.

As I was aware of your ideas on how to handle things--I felt the timing was kinda funny, actually. Maybe it was part of my unconscious recognition of the issue--who knows.

Finally, I'll attempt to make sense of a Hero searching if the Orc merely isn't visible. I see the visiblility limitation as a two-way street. Not only does the Elf not "see" the Orc, but the Orc also can't "see" the Elf. It instead "sees" the Wizard and perceives him as the primary threat or victim as a default. This removes the threat onus from the Elf and allows him to search undisturbed while his comrade takes the fight (though general flaws about searching areas are apparent here). This is kind of like not having a way to attack the searching Hero until the beginning of the Hero's next turn (but not really, of course--it's more of an assumption that it's safe enough to search on the Elf's part.)
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » June 30th, 2013, 4:36 pm

Man, this thread makes me desperately print out that double-wide corridored game board by Flint & Co...
To edit and playtest the 14 original quests again, once more with feeling.

I think I'm starting that on Against the Ogre Horde. Once I get Heroscribe running with me anti-geek, that is...

Daedalus wrote:Yeah, I know this rails against your sensibilities, but your post keeps feeding me ideas.

I'm happy to do so. My sensibilities stem from my aim to shorten things.
1 hour for a quest is enough. A game night should be 3 through 5 quests.

Two treasure searches for each room, markers for EVERYthing (Descent helps a lot) to keep track and avoid debates, hunting the heroes with my Spawning Monster idea, special rules like a skeleton's diagonal attack, double doors, double hallways... and Monsters-Activating-Monsters: this all makes for a slightly faster and less calculable game.

Is there anything worse than one hero fighting one monster, retreating, second hero steps in and attacks that same monster, monster dies, second monster is activated ("seen" ;)), and again: one hero against one monster, second hero against same monster.

These are exactly the kinds of situations I want to open up.
I'm re-writing the NA rules with my changes right now, by the way.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Schmidt » July 25th, 2013, 5:06 pm

What if there is only one monster present and it is hit with "Sleep"? Can you search then?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Schmidt

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » July 25th, 2013, 5:42 pm

I'd say no according to RAW. A monster is a monster. It doesn't matter if it's asleep or not. Apply the logic that if it isn't mentioned that you specifically can do it, then you probably can't.
It would be an obvious thing to houserule/roleplay though.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 14th, 2013, 1:20 am

I'd say it is possible to search for secret doors or traps in a room with a monster temporarily incapacitated by a Sleep spell. It\s possible for the same reason stated by me earlier. Simply place another Hero between the monster and the searching Hero so that he blocks line of sight. This satisfies the RAW requirement that no monster is visible. He minds the monster for the searching Hero so that he can finish his action undisturbed.

As Goblinking said, houseruling here would make sense if you want to make such a search possible even while an incapacitated monster is visible. The Elf spell Hypnotic Blaze paralyzes monsters for 3 turns. Relying on RAW here grates against the thematic effect of this spell. The EQP states in the introductory section, "...When in doubt, use your experience and imagination to make the best choice. Remember that you are the ultimate authority in you HERO QUEST world!"
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby torilen » August 14th, 2013, 9:38 am

This is a great thread.

That's it - I don't really have much to add at this point - I'm still letting it all sink in.

But this is a perfect discussion...this is what the Inn is all about.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby TMU » August 14th, 2013, 9:48 am

I would also allow players to search while the monster is under a sleep spell, how would it affect you? IT'S SLEEPING!
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Road Warrior » August 14th, 2013, 10:10 am

TMU wrote:I would also allow players to search while the monster is under a sleep spell, how would it affect you? IT'S SLEEPING!

What about a test roll to see if it wakes up?

e.g.
You search for secret doors. Roll 1combat die, if you roll a black shield the monster wakes up. If it wakes up it attacks in the same way as a wandering monster.

I think I might add this to a quest somewhere. It could be interesting if the monster was so strong you really wouldn't want to wake it up. Something like a dragon.
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby TMU » August 14th, 2013, 10:52 am

Or how about this:

Player finds an orc in a room, but it's sleeping. Then, if player searches for treasure or a secret door, a hole in the wall appears, few bricks fall off, and those drop to orcs head and it wakes up and calls for help?!
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules