• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

What Weapon Do Monsters Use?

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

What Weapon Do Monsters Use?

Postby torilen » February 13th, 2013, 11:11 am

I thought about adding this as a thread because of the discussion going on about the elf spell "twist wood"
found here:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=378&p=17633#p17633

I pose the question: What weapon do monsters use?
Here are my thoughts:
Goblin and Orc - possibly unarmed, with claws and/or teeth, or swords/had axes
Fimir - large axe, or possible mace or flail (if you have created those in your game) - perhaps the ball-like tail they possess
Chaos Warrior - battle axe
Gargoyle - claws, I mean, come on, he is made from stone (or is considered as hard as stone)
Zombie - unarmed...batters at you with his fist or bloated arm
Skeleton - bone fingers/claws...magically strengthened not to break
Mummy - unarmed...batters at you with his wrapped arm
Ogre - large club or trunk of small tree, or possible a spike club or mace (if more civilized and could make such a weapon)
Elf archer - bow, of course

Just my thoughts...maybe that could help the discussion mentioned above.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: What Weapon Do Monsters Use?

Postby Goblin-King » February 13th, 2013, 12:53 pm

Easy!

Goblin - Sword, axe, scimitar
Orc - Sword, cleaver, flail
Fimir - large axe - perhaps the ball-like tail they possess
Chaos Warrior - battle axe
Gargoyle -Whip and sword
Zombie - Large cleaver
Skeleton - Scythe
Mummy - unarmed...batters at you with his wrapped arm
Ogre - large club or trunk of small tree, or possible a spike club or mace (if more civilized and could make such a weapon)
Elf archer - bow, of course

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » February 13th, 2013, 1:17 pm

Considering my houserules, that's an important question, but I won't go deeper into this.
I just mention that stats for different weapons apply to my monsters, too, and the monster is assigned the stats of the weapon(s)/armor the actual mini is wielding/carrying.
Not simple, but logical.

Goblin - one-handed weapon as seen on the respective mini
Orc - one-handed weapon as seen on the respective mini
Fimir - one-handed axe as seen on the respective mini, plus I'm working on a tail attack
Skeleton - scythe (diagonal attack in my rules)
Zombie - cleaver as seen on the mini, wielded very very clumsily
Mummy - nothing, as seen on the mini, just a very very frim grip
Chaos Warrior - two-handed axe as seen on the mini - he's holding it in one hand to brag. See how it's stemmed against his armor? - In my rules, that means 4 Attack dice.
Gargoyle - Stone, damage is always the same, regardless of which weapon (whip, sword, fist, claw, whatever)
Ogre - one-handed weapons as seen on the respective minis (which means a second attack for Chieftain and Lord)
Elven Warrior - two-handed sword, I'm leaning towards a greatsword as opposed to a longsword
Elven Archer - Elven Warbow (that explains the 4 attack dice, which include a +1 skill bonus)
Giant Wolf - well, claws and bite (gets two attacks from me, that puppy)
Ice Gremlin - one-handed weapon, as not seen on the mini (WTF is that weapon, anyhow, and the mini as a whole?)
Yeti - self-explanatory from the hug rule
Polar Warbear - one-handed weapon as seen on the mini, plus paw/claw (that's two attacks)
Frozen Horror - one-handed axe
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » February 13th, 2013, 1:17 pm

don't forget the ogre's fist-spike.
And the evil men-at-arms obviously use the halberd, greatsword, shortsword + shield and crossbow.
giant wolves use their clwas and teeth.
Frozen horror uses an axe, perhaps his paws and spells.
Yeti uses arms
Polar Warbear uses a giant club and possibly also his fangs and claws.
The ice gremlin has an icicle
and then there's plenty of non standard monsters such as vermin of all sorts (spiders, bats, snakes, rats etc.) that don't have weapons.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » February 13th, 2013, 1:25 pm

Sjeng wrote:don't forget the ogre's fist-spike.

I included it as a second attack with 3 attack dice not to be used against the same opponent as th main weapon. But again, I won't go deeper... :twisted:
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » February 13th, 2013, 7:15 pm

I had forgotten about the gargoyle mini having the sword and the whip. SO...I can agree with that one. I "could" make sense.
My thoughts on the skeleton and zombie, however...I don't know if I could ever really go along with those having weapons.
Sure, maybe one here and there might have something...but as a general rule? I don't know. Where would ALL skeletons
get a scythe, and where would ALL zombies get a cleaver?

Again, just my thoughts. I understand this is just a game...even so, I try to be a little rational about things

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Blackthorn » February 13th, 2013, 11:15 pm

The rules state "a monster's attack strength is based on it's natural abilities and does not depend on a weapon" so I've never worried about what weapons the monsters had.

When you get to the expansions you have monsters with specified weapons like the elven archers, evil mercenaries and the polar warbear, but I think getting overly complicated about the monster's equipment is not in the spirit of the game (darn you, twist wood spell ;) ).

If we pay too much attention to the monsters weapons the heroes may start to ask why they can't take them after the monster is killed :shock:
Fear the chinkle!

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
Blackthorn

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » February 14th, 2013, 10:06 am

Blackthorn wrote:The rules state "a monster's attack strength is based on it's natural abilities and does not depend on a weapon" so I've never worried about what weapons the monsters had.

When you get to the expansions you have monsters with specified weapons like the elven archers, evil mercenaries and the polar warbear, but I think getting overly complicated about the monster's equipment is not in the spirit of the game (darn you, twist wood spell ;) ).

If we pay too much attention to the monsters weapons the heroes may start to ask why they can't take them after the monster is killed :shock:

Agreed! I think it's insane to make a spell like that and not really explain it's usage in terms of actual rules. It reads more like a dungeons and dragons spell where you have to imagine creative uses yourself. HQ isn't really a roleplaying game at it's core.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » February 14th, 2013, 10:32 am

Blackthorn wrote:If we pay too much attention to the monsters weapons the heroes may start to ask why they can't take them after the monster is killed :shock:

I houseruled: "You can't."

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » February 14th, 2013, 2:40 pm

knightkrawler wrote:I houseruled: "You can't."

Why?

BECAUSE I SAID SO!

Rewards:
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Official Rules