• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Some rules questions, please help

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Some rules questions, please help

Postby el_flesh » June 21st, 2010, 5:36 am

In every DICK MARCHINKO book I ever read, he searches thoroughly inch by frikkin inch until he is sure the room contains NO traps. Same thing for going down hallways, he looks twice before he leaps. Then he looks one more time.

That's how we stay alive...thorough searching.
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby drathe » June 21st, 2010, 1:42 pm

And probably continues looking as he's leaping.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby torilen » June 21st, 2010, 3:12 pm

personally - I would like to implement a couple of house rules when I play:
1 - as far as searching for traps - they would have to be within a certain number of spaces of the trap to find it - and if they're searching
a whole bunch, start making a roll to see if a monster wanders up on them
2 - as far as searching for secret doors - same goes - they would have to be within a certain number of spaces to find it
3 - as far as searching for treasure - I would like to see some sort of roll needed in order to find something good - I know HQ has its own
method of finding treasure, with the cards and all - but there are no cards that say NOTHING FOUND - maybe there should be

and as far as how many times, I would say once per hero would be good - give everybody a chance to do something - and I mean, in reality,
how many adventurers are really going to just stand around while their friends do all the hard work?? right?

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby drathe » June 21st, 2010, 4:47 pm

torilen wrote:but there are no cards that say NOTHING FOUND - maybe there should be

The European edition has a Nothing treasure card. I've reformatted it for the North American Version as part of the Kellar's Keep expansion treasure on the Card Page.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby el_flesh » June 21st, 2010, 5:47 pm

1 - Will make the game drag on waaaay too long, even though it would be realistic in terms of your stats check rolls.

2 - Same thing, the game does have to keep rolling (heh) a bit.

3 - We do that already. a low roll = "You find nothing" . Which happens pretty frequently. When something is found, it is usually gold unless you roll particularly well. Furniture, however, has a much better chance of finding good stuff, and treasure chests always have something good. Sometimes trapped, according to quest.
Of course, our DM has worked on items list for awhile...
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby HeroQuestFrance » June 26th, 2010, 4:58 am

If you look all HerQuest maps, you will see a lot of rooms have a pit just behind the door so you cannot avoid it if you consider the fact a hero can only search for traps into a room or a passage.
That's why I found more logical to discover the closer trap(s) like in D&D (hasbro)
And yes : adding a distance is not so bad indeed !
I think in a room it's ok but into a corridor we can decide a line sight depending of your character.
(dwarf 8 elf 8 barbarian 6, wizard 6 squares ?)

as far as searching for treasure - I would like to see some sort of roll needed in order to find something good

I'm not agreed with this.
HQ uses a treasure deck, just create and add new cards it's the same or it becomes too much like ADVHQ then or advanced WHQ using huge tables..... or even D&D !

BUT :
Same than traps here :there's a problem !
-> Limiting treasure rewards to one card per room is a bad idea. It gives less fun to treasure searchs...
Why the dwarf found a potion and not the barbarian.Each one can find things in a room risking to take more "well hidden traps" or wandering monsters. There's something to dig on this point.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
HeroQuestFrance

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby el_flesh » June 26th, 2010, 1:26 pm

We got LOS already...helms can take away some of it depending on the size and type...

elves can see far

and barbs and elves can see each other no matter how far due to 'gaydar'.

Rewards:
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Leander » August 2nd, 2012, 8:53 am

Hey! I'm back with some basic questions:

Ball of Flame, Fire of Wrath, Genie: do all of them require a line of sight?
My music projects: SeelenPuls.at, Grummelgnom.at
Leander

Orc
Orc

Forum Language: Deutsch
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Ethica » August 2nd, 2012, 9:40 am

Ball of Flame - definitely requies line of sight.
Fire of Wrath - definitely doesn't require line of sight.
Genie - Debateable.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Leander » August 2nd, 2012, 1:16 pm

So the wizard can be in a bottom-left room and the monster top-right? It's a bit odd in my opinion...he doesn't see who's there...or does he feel it? :)
My music projects: SeelenPuls.at, Grummelgnom.at
Leander

Orc
Orc

Forum Language: Deutsch
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules