• Advertisement

Pass through rock - furniture and monsters

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Pass through rock - furniture and monsters

Postby Templar » Friday August 24th, 2012 1:52am

I was asked this question last time we played, regarding the pass through rock spell: "What if I end up in a furniture or on a monster after I walk through a wall?"

I didn't really know the answer, so we went with that the player gets bonus steps to the nearest unoccupied square. Now, for furniture this can seem ok, they are hard-material objects after all...but passing through monsters just did not feel right. And also, if you get bonus steps for monsters and furniture, why not for stone filled rooms?

Has anyone else stumbled upon this question? How do you play it?
"If you have to ask, you're streets behind..." - Pierce Hawthorn

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Templar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Pass through rock - furniture and monsters

Postby Ethica » Friday August 24th, 2012 3:49am

If they end up on the same square as a monster, furniture or inside rock they die. It is the mages responsibility to have some idea where they are going to end up. Pass through rock can be used as an escape or to come to another heroes aid, if it's used as a short cut then the mage gambles with their life.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Friday August 24th, 2012 3:54am

I'm with you there, Ethica.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Templar » Friday August 24th, 2012 5:10am

Ethica wrote:If they end up on the same square as a monster, furniture or inside rock they die. It is the mages responsibility to have some idea where they are going to end up. Pass through rock can be used as an escape or to come to another heroes aid, if it's used as a short cut then the mage gambles with their life.

Fair enough

But if the player has squares left to move, he should at least be able to move through furniture, right? And if they take a chance and move into a room without opening a door (because it's locked or something) and there is a monster on the square on the other side...is the player simply not allowed to move to that square then?
Last edited by Templar on Friday August 24th, 2012 9:53am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you have to ask, you're streets behind..." - Pierce Hawthorn

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Templar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Ethica » Friday August 24th, 2012 7:39am

I would say that they can move through whatever medium they like with the movement they have as long as they don't finish on an occupied square. Maybe I'm too pedantic, but, watch out for those players who think they can roll the red dice then cast the spell only if they like what they rolled. Or introduce fixed movement, this is another situation where it would be an advantage.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Friday August 24th, 2012 1:32pm

If a hero has't used up all his movement and the EWP doesn't activate the room the hero canalways ask something like "Can I end my move here without dying?" - Answer is either "Yeah, sure", because the hero sees of course where he is, or "Well, no, try another space". There's a little gambling, hero ends his movement whenever he wants to(may even walk back; die roll is maximum of course) and I tell him if he's alive...
Simple as that. That risk comes with gambling with spells.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby el_flesh » Saturday August 25th, 2012 12:33am

It's kind of a killjoy for someone to find they've materialized in solid rock, GAME OVER.
I agree that if they have movement left Zarquon should say immediately if the room is solid or not.
As for landing on a monster or furniture, I'd simply bump the player sideways movement left or not.
The point of the game is more fun, less KILL THEM!
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby ken » Saturday August 25th, 2012 7:02am

Am I missing something here? The spell is called "Pass Through Rock", it repeats the words "move through walls" twice. No mention of furniture or monsters or any other medium. Surely one must count ones' steps, or spaces, before moving ones' piece. Easy enough then, not to finish up standing on anything. :o

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ken
The Greybeard

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » Saturday August 25th, 2012 7:25am

I agree that the player can't move through monsters or furniture. But what happens if he unknowingly moves through a wall and steps on a monster/furniture? He shouldn't be able to make that move in the first place.
It's like... he is fumbling blindly through rock, feeling his way forward. Suddenly he feels something solid (Monster/furniture). Obviously he can't step into solid matter, so he decides to move through more rock and around the solid object until he can feel unoccupied air.
A way to reflect this in the game would be that the instant a player moves into an undiscovered occupied square, Morcar politely tells him that square is occupied and negates the move. Make a new move punk.

Alternatively you can work something out based on the rules from Melar's Maze. If I remember correctly you can teleport frag monsters in that quest.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby ken » Saturday August 25th, 2012 5:50pm

Goblin-King wrote:I agree that the player can't move through monsters or furniture. But what happens if he unknowingly moves through a wall and steps on a monster/furniture? He shouldn't be able to make that move in the first place.
It's like... he is fumbling blindly through rock, feeling his way forward. Suddenly he feels something solid (Monster/furniture). Obviously he can't step into solid matter, so he decides to move through more rock and around the solid object until he can feel unoccupied air.
A way to reflect this in the game would be that the instant a player moves into an undiscovered occupied square, Morcar politely tells him that square is occupied and negates the move. Make a new move punk.

Exactly. Otherwise, you might as well say that "Veil of Mist" allows heroes to, you have guessed it!, "Pass Through Rock"

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ken
The Greybeard

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Official Rules