• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

TPK, total party kill

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: TPK, total party kill

Postby Ethica » March 12th, 2013, 8:00 am

If a character dies they can join the next quest along with the other heroes while they can have their stuff back if the hero who picked it up wants to give it to them. This tends to be the accepted process doesn't it.

If the whole party dies then realistically they shouldn't be allowed to repeat the quest, in effect the campaign is lost. I have about 3 or 4 campaigns which I feel are suitable for fresh heroes, so if everyone dies then they do have to make new characters but can start a different campaign. So this makes death undesirable but not boring.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Sjeng » March 12th, 2013, 8:37 am

When can a Hero pick up a fallen comrade's belongings? Only when he's killed by a trap or a spell, right (or crossbows)? Because, if a monster kills him, the monster is right next to him, and will take his loot...
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Ethica » March 12th, 2013, 10:03 am

Sjeng wrote:When can a Hero pick up a fallen comrade's belongings? Only when he's killed by a trap or a spell, right (or crossbows)? Because, if a monster kills him, the monster is right next to him, and will take his loot...

Hmm, that is true. The rules do state if a monster is in the room then the goods are lost.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby bruenor » March 12th, 2013, 1:14 pm

I find letting them start again with all the gear very boring and un-interesting, hence why I winged it with my scenario.

If a hero dies, he dies, unless the heroes have enough to pay for a Resurrection at the church/temple which is super steep in cost or have a Resurrection potion with are uber rare.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
bruenor

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » March 12th, 2013, 1:23 pm

Sjeng wrote:When can a Hero pick up a fallen comrade's belongings? Only when he's killed by a trap or a spell, right (or crossbows)? Because, if a monster kills him, the monster is right next to him, and will take his loot...

I'd say the goods doesn't disappear until Morcar's turn. The heroes get a couple of turns to rush in and grab the remains. Too bad if the wizard (last player in the round) is killed :lol:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » March 14th, 2013, 8:18 pm

Like Goblin King said. Found in the Combat/Defending section at the top of p.11 of the British EU Rules of Play:

Eliminated characters and monsters are immediately removed from play. Any
    Equipment or gold the eliminated character had may be picked up by another
    character, who searches for treasure in the room or passage in which the
    character was eliminated. However, the evil wizard player may also claim the
    Equipment or gold if, on his next turn he moves a monster into the same room
    or passage, in which the character was eliminated.

If a monster picks up the possessions of the eliminated character they are removed
    from the game, the monster may not use either the Equipment or the gold.

The attacker may now move if he has not already done so. Play then continues
    with the player on his left.

The italics used for next aren't mine, but are in the Rules of Play to emphasize the evil wizard player must wait a whole turn to claim possessions. This gives the Heroes that much time, 1 round of turns, to claim the dead Hero's possessions first.

As a side note, I wonder if the condition that the evil wizard must move a monster into the same room or passage to claim the Equipment or gold is mistated. If it read "...he moves a monster in or into the same room or passage...", then a lone monster wouldn't need to leave and then return to claim the Equipment or gold. This would more closely resemble the NA rules. This leaving requirement is thematically strange to me. I guess if the intervening time was thought of in reverse, where the monster first loots the Hero and then leaves the room or passage, then it could work.

There is also a potential problem game mechanics-wise. If a lone monster moves before it kills a Hero, it must spend its next turn leaving the room or passage before it can move back into it to claim the possessions. In large rooms or long passages it isn't always possible for slower monsters to make it back in time for the evil player's next turn, thus it sometimes can't claim the treasure using the rules as written. I feel requiring a slow Zombie 2 turns to loot and escape with a dead Hero's possessions would work fine, however, so I'd suggest this fix: "...The evil wizard may also claim the Equipment or gold if, on a following turn he moves a monster into the same room or passage, in which the character was eliminated...."

I prefer the second rules fix to the first one I suggested, as it better represents slower monsters making off with Equipment or gold at a slower pace. The awkward exiting and re-entering is primarily there as a mechanical timer (usually), so it can be thought of as the monster needing that much time to loot and then move out of sight. If a situation arose where an exiting monster was then in line of sight of a ranged attack, I'd allow the attack as a kind of parting shot to perhaps down the looting monster before it escaped.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » March 14th, 2013, 8:48 pm

I too like bruenor's life after death idea. I think it would also work for a single Hero death, as it would give the player something to do for the rest of a session. Simply place the Hero in a blocked-off quadrant of the board and play a seperate Quest for him on his turns. If he can fight through back to the light at half Body Points, then he could survive for the next Quest. No need to start a new character sheet (but maybe some erasing if he was first looted :( ).

Should dead Heroes retain all of their Equipment in the afterlife struggle? Perhaps they should be bumped down to starting gear, or worse still, nothing! :o Skeletons and Zombies would be enough for that. Maybe a timer could be included, such as finishing before the other player's main Quest is complete (so the Hero isn't left for dead), or lasting until the main Quest is complete, when proper aid can be attained. For a TPK (or solo death), a number of turns could be set as a limit before the light at the end of the tunnel closes off forever. Place a skull tile on the "H" of HeroQuest on the bottom of the board. Every evil wizard player turn move it along one letter. If after 8 turns the skull tile moves off of HeroQuest, the Heroes are forever dead.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby mako-heart » March 14th, 2013, 9:34 pm

I too like bruenor's life after death idea. But I love the term TPK!! ;) That term is going Worldwide! Evil wizard's everywhere smirk at TPK :twisted:
ALL YOUR WALL SPELL BASES ARE BELONG TO US!!!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
mako-heart

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Nephew of Mentor » March 14th, 2013, 10:27 pm

That's actually a common phrase in Dnd circles around my neck of the woods.
Sure it's pretty scary when the witch lord returns but what you should really be afraid of is "Resurrection of the Witch Lord". Resurrected baddies always come back more threatening than ever, usually kind of demonic with wings and horns and hell fire to announce their arrival. Think Gannondorf or Mother Brain from Super Metroid.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!
Nephew of Mentor

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » March 15th, 2013, 2:16 am

Daedalus wrote:If a lone monster moves before it kills a Hero, it must spend its next turn leaving the room or passage before it can move back into it to claim the possessions.

I don't think that's what they meant to be honest. If a monster kills a hero, he's mostly already next to him/her. Then on the next turn, it can loot the corpse if it wasn't looted by another hero (which can only be done by searching for treasure, and that can only be done by killing the monster near the corpse). So you better kill that monster, or he takes the loot.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules