• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

TPK, total party kill

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: TPK, total party kill

Postby mikemacdee » March 29th, 2013, 6:52 pm

Patroclus that's a pretty good setup. I had something vaguely similar in mind where if at least one hero survives the quest, and the quest is successful, the fallen heroes survive...but I tend to change it depending on the circumstances. If your friend is dropped by a horde of monsters, and you flee the dungeon to save yourself, that fallen hero is definitely gone; but if you killed all active monsters before leaving, I might say you got him out in one piece, albeit without some of his stuff.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game.
mikemacdee

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » June 9th, 2019, 2:07 pm

I have allowed one ill-fated character to begin a zombie, who then had to be rescued and "cured" by the other heroes in a custom modified quest (without the player). It was an interesting experiment. Generally I'd say that apart from taking their gear and spreading it out as special treasures (especially artifacts) in the next quest with the new heroes, make them regain their lost footing as punishment for their failure. The "lose all your gold" thing from the Japanese quest comes to mind as well. I like in the other thread the discussion about how the heroes would have to fight their way back from the afterlife or something... ;)

You could always have the survivor(s) find the elixir of life, and then partake in a rescue mission for their friend...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » June 18th, 2019, 12:57 pm

Kurgan wrote:Generally I'd say that apart from taking their gear and spreading it out as special treasures (especially artifacts) in the next quest with the new heroes, make them regain their lost footing as punishment for their failure. The "lose all your gold" thing from the Japanese quest comes to mind as well. I like in the other thread the discussion about how the heroes would have to fight their way back from the afterlife or something... ;)

I was actually going to suggest this exact same thing. You can practically set up a starting unequipped group of heroes on any one of the Japanese quests and get a successful result (except for the Trial of White Mountain). I've used these for solo play, when only 1 player is available by altering the treasures, rewards and equipment gained during these quests.
But some of these quests are remarkably similar to the American and EU quests in objective, but different enough in map set up to be considered "new". Prince Magnus' Gold can be likened to Summoning of Strength in objective; there are rescue missions for Sir Ragnar and Proncess Miku, respectively; Balur and Borough can practically be likened as the same sorcerer; Mystery of Star Lake and Castle of Mystery hold very little differences; and The Castle of Dread/Final Battle are not dissimilar to Borrok Tor.
Certain quests can be redone on a different map, if you like, adding more treasure and equipment so the heroes can catch up to where they were.

You can also the story and equipment one could set up a background differentiating new characters from the dead ones by their deeds. Upon completing that the Heroes from a far away land come to accomplish what their predecessors could not do, and start that group where the old one left off.

There's nothing wrong with home brewing a story too in bringing the heroes back, but the Japanese Quests are technically "Official Quests" and should find some way to be worked into the overall version of the story.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » June 24th, 2019, 12:29 am

I love that aspect of it, trying to make it all loosely fit together. Right now we're playing with the running story that the Ogre Horde actually kidnapped the Emperor. So while the main four are on that rescue mission, the new team is going overseas to prevent the rise of this "Chaos God" (a mission from Ragnar*, who is now in charge). It's harder to explain the Elf champion fighting for her people, or the Barbarian trying to save his village elder from the Frozen Horror at the same time, but maybe it took place shortly before and this is a flash back. ;)

* Is he really a Manchurian Candidate placed by Skullmar? Time will tell...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » July 7th, 2019, 3:42 pm

Here's a helpful link if you just want a quick "re-done/re-mixed" version of any of the main quests... (doesn't apply to EQP/BQP or the Japanese quests yet, but pretty much everything else)

Here...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby mikemacdee » July 23rd, 2019, 10:05 pm

I try to find a way to keep the story going whenever possible. I might have the heroes get captured instead, and force them to escape from a side-quest or mini-campaign.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game.
mikemacdee

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » July 25th, 2019, 3:20 pm

we haven't had a TPK for decades. It occurred when we used to play EU back in the 90's, and as it happened in the last quest we actually had to play, (Dark Company) it sort of brought it all to a fitting conclusion.

In recent times, i.e. last 20 years, the closest we've come is The Mage in the Mirror when just the Elf survived with 2BP's left. That was brutal and great fun. As we have several parties on the go a TPK is not a storyline ender as a different group can take over plot.

As a sort of example, a not overly powerful group suffered a real pasting in Mound of the Beastmen. The Dwarf was killed and the 3 survivors had little money and no potions left. I could see that they were just too weak to go on to their planned sequel, Royal Bodyguard, and so that was picked up by the super powerful main Elf who had just landed back in the Old World after his world cruise playing High Elves. I planned a new story for the weak group who will now play a much easier quest pack where they and their new Dwarf have a chance to rebuild their strength.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » August 4th, 2019, 4:31 pm

Death comes for the Barbarian in The Frozen Horror Solo Quest 3! Despite him being "upgraded" once already (2 black dice for each sword) equipped with a longsword (3 attack), helmet + cloak + shield (5 defense total), and wearing the Armband of Healing, (plus a house rule allowing him to escape the "Hug attack" of the Yeti) he was slaughtered through a combination of unlucky rolls and blundering into trap after trap without accomplishing his mission.

My solution will be to have an Ogre drag him off (bloodied and presumed dead, with his gear lost, except the expended Armband of Healing) for a meal, but then be ransomed by some of his countrymen instead.

I'll let him keep his "progress" as a Champion as he is already technically doing these side quests while using the character in the Against the Ogre Horde campaign already in progress. He restarts a modified version of this BQP adventure with more basic gear (chainmail, broadsword, helmet and gets to keep the armband) but also a Potion of Healing (1d6). He will have to recover his other stuff (he had no gold at the time of his death, but I would have taken it away anyway at this point) through searching for treasure, and I'll be placing what he left behind at the Weapon's Rack (rather than just a Battle Axe), and all slain monsters will be replaced with forces identical in strength (added a few more rooms for flavor, unused from another quest). I see now that this was a "Knight" level quest after all (he barely got through the first two solo quests as a "champion"). A Knight Level Barbarian, under my upgrade system, would be able to substitute 3 black dice for each sword OR Axe attack AND get a random combat potion before the quest. I plan to use this Ogre later as an NPC, possibly a special Mercenary for hire in future quests, if they make it out of the Ogre Horde campaign.
Last edited by Kurgan on August 11th, 2019, 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » August 11th, 2019, 3:45 am

BQP quest 3 is indeed too much. You need a group to survive that quest. Or a whole boatload of mercenaries. :)

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » August 11th, 2019, 10:40 am

Anderas wrote:BQP quest 3 is indeed too much. You need a group to survive that quest. Or a whole boatload of mercenaries. :)

We did it fairly easily with a very powerful veteran :barbarian: , along with a new :wizard: (Growl of Thunder + BQP 1 & 2), and a new Female :barbarian: (BQP 1 & 2). The Female Barbarian (Barbarella) was able to use the weapon upgrades that would have otherwise been a waste of time for the vet (Saracen). Barbarella did however die later in the quest pack, along with the Dwarf.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules