• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

TPK, total party kill

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

TPK, total party kill

Postby Nephew of Mentor » April 1st, 2012, 8:07 am

How do you/your players handle a total party kill? Almost unbelievably, the only dying my players do is during the first quest, however, if the player are all wiped out, say in the third quest of Return of the Witch Lord, do you act as though those characters(their equipment, stats, gold) is saved at strategic check points in the game? For examples of check points I mean between quests or between quest books? Or do you make them start over again?
Sure it's pretty scary when the witch lord returns but what you should really be afraid of is "Resurrection of the Witch Lord". Resurrected baddies always come back more threatening than ever, usually kind of demonic with wings and horns and hell fire to announce their arrival. Think Gannondorf or Mother Brain from Super Metroid.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!
Nephew of Mentor

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: TPK, total party kill

Postby Thrawn » April 1st, 2012, 9:41 am

I've never had a total party kill in the standard quests. Outside of quest #1 or once you get out to the frozen horror or mage in the mirror sets of quests, the only deaths I've even seen were a dwarf who'd always run off on his own to try and loot all the treasure.

With that said, I would likely not use "save points". I'd likely start a new party, not running through the standard quests.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Thrawn

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » April 1st, 2012, 9:44 am

The way I handle it is to let them start again and I write on the back of the charatcers # of deaths/wipes.

Alternatly the Emperor hires tougher dudes and equips them for the journey. (unlike the loosers the Emperor sent the last time he vested no money into.)
IF the party wipes it is Mentor and the Emperor's fault when you think of it. What Mentor? Would it kill you to loan out some artifacts and provide some potions to these stalwart hereos who are suppossed to be saving the kingdom?
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Nephew of Mentor » April 1st, 2012, 9:57 am

Yeah, after the players learn to bottleneck the enemies in doorways and hallways they usually mow them down pretty easy. I did, however, have two new groups get completely annihilated in The Trial when they kept splitting up. I had another group that was just really unlucky during The Trial. They couldn't make a beneficial dice roll for the entire quest, killed maybe two goblins, and were decimated before ever reaching the gargoyle. They didn't split up either, so it was just really bad rolls. I think when there were only two players left they even tried retreating back to the stairs and couldn't roll high enough to make an expedient retreat, again resulting in their deaths before ever seeing the exit. I honestly had to apologize to them that day.
Sure it's pretty scary when the witch lord returns but what you should really be afraid of is "Resurrection of the Witch Lord". Resurrected baddies always come back more threatening than ever, usually kind of demonic with wings and horns and hell fire to announce their arrival. Think Gannondorf or Mother Brain from Super Metroid.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!
Nephew of Mentor

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » April 1st, 2012, 12:55 pm

Naturally any evil wizard is entitiled to do as they want, but I'd stick with the rules and require freshly-named recruits with starting items and no treasure. Such accumulated booty is generally only saved by other Heroes who can be in the same room or corridor before the dead Hero's next turn (US Instruction Booklet, p. 22). The next page tells Zargon to modify any Quest that is reattempted, including cases of TPK. Time to make a new map and adventure.

Your last instance of bad luck followed by an apology...well the designers should have prepared one for you. The Trial comes too early. I once came up with a system to value the first 14 Quests. Correctly placed, The Trial should have occured as Quest 7!
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » April 1st, 2012, 3:01 pm

Never had it happen to me, but I think we'd just replay the quest. I'd change the quest map perhaps, to keep it new, but I don't really kill off a hero and his/her equipment. In computergames you also have savegames, and those games hardly change when retrying. I might add some form of penalty (like XP or gold loss in games), such as losing the gold they were currently carrying, and/or losing one item on their person. I think that's harsh enough.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Thrawn » April 1st, 2012, 3:40 pm

I try to keep my tabletop gaming from being computer gamey.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Thrawn

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby cynthialee » April 1st, 2012, 3:48 pm

Thrawn wrote:I try to keep my tabletop gaming from being computer gamey.

QFT

If anything I bring somewhat of an RPG feel and mechanics to my table.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » April 1st, 2012, 4:55 pm

I would try hard not to have the party killed off - if it looks like it might happen, maybe try to weaken
the monsters, or play the monsters stupidly to give the heroes an advantage.

Sometimes, it just can't be helped - and of course, there is a much greater chance of a single hero dying
and the rest making their escape.
In the case of the whole party - have the players make new heroes, beef them up a bit, and wade back in,
possibly even allowing them to find the belongings of those who fell before, giving a little bonus for sticking
with the game, even after such tragic losses.
If it is just one hero who died - perhaps have a nice role-playing portion where the other heroes seek out a
new member of their party...perhaps having to explain why they need a new member of their party. Could be
fun. Just have the Player of the dead hero make a new character, pretty much the same as the dead one...maybe
with a bit different personality and equipment make up. You know...if it is a wizard or elf, maybe he will have
different spells from the dead hero...something like that.

Oh...and a different name, of course. :)

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Thrawn » April 2nd, 2012, 12:53 am

When single characters have died, that's actually where I opened up custom character classes. It made dead players not as upset since they got to try something new, although I made them start from scratch for gold/equipment. I only tried this one time, and although it was fun, I still have a place in my heart for keeping the original 4, so I tend to stick with that.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Thrawn

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Official Rules