• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Plate Mail, shock, and magic interaction

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Plate Mail, shock, and magic interaction

Postby Daedalus » March 14th, 2012, 7:25 pm

Plate Mail only allows a Hero to roll 1 red die for movement. The rules for going into shock from both the Elf Quest Pack and the Barbarian Quest Pack limit a Hero to rolling 1 red die for movement as well. How do these rules interact?

1. They do a lot- reduce movement to 0 red dice. The Plate Mail must be removed, or magic must be used to compensate (a Potion of Speed, Elven Boots, etc.)
  2. They do a bit- reduce movement to a d3, halving the result of 1 red die (round up).
  3. They don't- simply assign a single red die for movement.
  4. They don't, even a little- 0 Mind Points is dead in a real Hero Quest game.
Option 1 doesn't work well with Swift Wind. The spell doubles the dice for movement (0)to 0 (2x0=0).
Option 2 would require "calling" the d3 if it were combined with magic that added a movement die.

That brings up another question: How do Elven Boots (1 additional red dice to move) and Plate Mail (1 red die to move) interact? Normally, 3 red dice are rolled, and they wear out if identical numbers are rolled on any 3 dice (1 in 36 odds).

• They wear out quicker by requiring identical numbers on any 2 dice (1 in 6 odds) while wearing Plate Mail.
  • 3 dice are still rolled--the 2 movement dice and a 3rd for checking if they wear out.
Note that if Plate Mail, Elven Boots, and the shock rule are combined using option 1 above, then there is just 1 die to roll and it's impossible to have an identical number result for them to wear out--unless 2 dice just for the wearing-out check are additionally rolled.

Here's another: How does a Potion of Speed (12 squares of movement, don't roll dice) combine with Plate Mail and/or shock?

• Movement is 0 squares for Plate Mail and shock, using option 1
  • Movement is 3 squares for Plate Mail and shock, using option 2
  • Movement is 6 squares for Plate Mail and/or shock, using option 3
  • Movement is 6 squares for Plate Mail only--cuz 0 Mind Points is DEAD, using option 4
  • Movement is 12 for Plate Mail and/or shock (potion trumps all)
What about Swift Wind (doubles normal dice?) Can it combine with a potion of speed for 24 movement, or is it incompatable, as it requires dice to double?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Plate Mail, shock, and magic interaction

Postby Goblin-King » March 15th, 2012, 2:57 am

This post gave me a headache...

Can't wait till I come home from work to *really* read it.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby el_flesh » March 15th, 2012, 8:58 am

2 dice just for the wearing-out check are additionally rolled.

Why not? that's a cheq roll - happens all the time in RPGs
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » March 15th, 2012, 1:21 pm

Okay... Here we go!
This is how I would rule in those cases.

Chock + Plate Mail:
I kinda prefer the hero to just move 0. But for gameplay reasons I think D3 would work best.
Both moving 0 and loosing all your defense is a death sentence. So one vote for D3.
Swift wind would restore it to a D6 (or 2D3?).

Elven Boots + Plate Mail:
Definitely use 2D6 for actual movement.
I think It would be most fair to roll an additional die just for the wearing-out check.
But again... For gameplay reasons it is easier to just roll 2. The movement roll shouldn't be an entire phase in itself.
And it's an Artifact anyway. Once past MotM you can never acquire it again, so let the player have fun while it lasts.
One vote for just using 2D6.

Potion of Speed + Plate Mail / Chock:
Potion of speed is a one use item.
Not being able to just move 12 makes it useless. Keep it as is.

Swift Wind + Potion of Speed:
Potion of speed has no dice roll to double, so incompatible. I don't really think this one is debatable.

But how about this...
Swift Wind + Elven Boots:
Do you roll 6 dice and have an extremely high wearing-out rate? :lol:
(Yes you do... That's the price of being Sonic!)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » March 15th, 2012, 1:28 pm

I agree with the statement that in real games of HQ 0 mind points means you are dead. So it is a moot point in my book.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » March 15th, 2012, 7:14 pm

Personally, I give Plate Mail just a penalty, usually somewhere around -3 or -4 to movement, with a minimum of 1.
Shock (0 Mind Points) is a coma...no movement. (I know it is a game, but think about shock in real life....)

As far as magic spells, magic items, and potions...being that shock is a coma...they wouldn't work. I would let them
work normally for Plate Mail - they are magic, after all.
The only difference would be, perhaps, the Elven Boots. The idea of wearing out implies that they are "working" to move
the character, even though they are magical. So, they would be working harder to move a character in Plate Mail.

Just my thoughts.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Nephew of Mentor » April 1st, 2012, 7:19 am

I wasn't certain why the rules change so much about mind points. For example, In return of the witch lord, quest 5, the gargoyle Bellthor is apparently inflated with poison that does mind point damage. If a character is reduced to 0 that character is removed from the board but not dead, as a matter of fact, advancing the game depends on all characters having their mind points reduced to 0 and rendered unconscious, hence captured. Maybe this would be a thread all its own.
Sure it's pretty scary when the witch lord returns but what you should really be afraid of is "Resurrection of the Witch Lord". Resurrected baddies always come back more threatening than ever, usually kind of demonic with wings and horns and hell fire to announce their arrival. Think Gannondorf or Mother Brain from Super Metroid.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!
Nephew of Mentor

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » April 1st, 2012, 4:01 pm

@ Nephew of Mentor-

Thanks for bringing that up, I forgot about that one. The Belthor Gargoyal is a good example of special Mind Point damage called out in a Quest's notes section. Those notes trump other rules. The Shock condition I was refering to is a catch-all for all other situations, found in both the Elf Quest Pack and Barbarian Quest Pack introductory sections. To briefly recap for everybody's benefit, when a Hero reaches 0 Mind Points, he isn't dead, but in shock. He rolls only 1d6 to move, attacks with only 1 Combat Die and defends with only 2 Combat Dice. Armor, weapons, and most artifacts don't affect these totals, but some spells and spell scrolls do.

I included the zero-Mind-Points-is-dead option because that's how the European editions treated it in the Rules of Play book. Some people prefer it because it's what they know, or else they like the grittier feel.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » April 1st, 2012, 7:33 pm

Seems to me that the Plate Mail cuts movement in half and going into shock will reduce movement in half so being in platemail and in shock could be rulled to reduce movement to 1D3.

Edit: I think the reduction in movement rules for platemail is bunk. I have known guys that are the types of power nerds that go to ren fairs and SCA events in armour and a well fitting suit of plate armour certainly doesn't reduce a persons movement by 50%.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Return to Official Rules