• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Jumping over occupied pit traps

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Jumping over occupied pit traps

Postby drathe » December 20th, 2011, 9:04 pm

Every hero player I've ever had enjoys the Castle of Mystery. They find it fun because it's different from most quests.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Sjeng » December 21st, 2011, 7:47 am

I'd also say option A based on the US rules.
I always thought it wasn't at all possible to jump over an occupied pit trap. But A works for me :)
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Nerrad72 » December 21st, 2011, 11:56 am

Played castle of mystery once and never played again. It was too different for me and looks odd when playing on the board. I've always flicked pass it since.

Just had a idea for a project,a 3D board with the room tiles at different levels for castle of mystery quest. Very similar to the 3D chess played in star trek, or perhaps a corner section of a box. The latter when be easier to 'theme' as a castle. Roll on xmas free-time!

Also, maybe if hero fails to jump a occupied pit the 'occupant' suffers one BP, i.e. misses the pit jump and jumps on the occupants head (using it as a stepping stone). Going to try that next time
Nerrad72

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Templar » December 21st, 2011, 12:44 pm

The reason I like option B is that it gives the hero team a guaranteed option to "protect" someone who has fallen into the pit trap. Of course if they make the jump, everything is ok, but with option B they can allways put someone with better defence and/or more body points in front of the victim, which might save him or her.

I suppose if a second person tries to jump and fails, and both the trap and the other side is occupied, then the only option is to fall into the pit (If you dont count option C, which I feel is a situational "Game-master"-option)...
"If you have to ask, you're streets behind..." - Pierce Hawthorn

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Templar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby polymathis » December 22nd, 2011, 9:44 am

We use a house rule developed from European rules which is simliar to what Nerrad suggests:
The hero failing to make the jump lands on the head of the hero in the pit. Both heroes lose a body point, but the second character then use the hero already in the pit as a stepping stone and completes the jump.

This leads to all sorts of hilarious begging as the hero in the pit with only a couple of Bp left tries to pursuade the rest of the party not to attempt the jump until he is out of the way...!

;)
polymathis

Goblin
Goblin

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » December 22nd, 2011, 10:20 am

polymathis - funny
I do like that idea, too, though...has anyone ever actually made a jump and had to use another's head as
a stepping stone. Kind of cartoonish...i really do not see that working out the way we envision it.

But...hey...fun just the same, right.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby el_flesh » December 26th, 2011, 9:56 am

For us, the jumper doesn't lose a BP - just the hapless dude in the pit.
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » December 26th, 2011, 10:41 am

I would say the first guy in the pit would be at the bottom of the pile and couldn't get out of the pit until the other guy is out first...
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » January 1st, 2012, 3:52 pm

What are the dimensions of a pit trap, anyway? Judging from the scale of the figures and furniture, drathe had once figured about 3 feet (1m) across. Since the Dwarf can climb out, it's probably not a whole lot deeper than 6 feet. Kinda like a closet. My take on the matter is more than one Hero could easily fit, and thus fall in. Any Hero would independently sustain 1 Body Point of damage as a result of the fall.

I suppose if a group of Heroes and their Henchmen were to form a lemming line and all fall in, the college-students-in-a-phone-booth effect would take over and a figure could step over. :p :p :p How many skulls does it take to fill the center of a pit trap? The world may never know.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby sadkitchen » January 2nd, 2012, 10:08 am

Out of curiosity how often does this happen?
I have experienced it exactly once. (both Heroes fit in the trap no problem and each took 1 BP damage while falling.)

-Sad Kitchen

(100th post baby!)
sadkitchen

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules