• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Hero Collection II: Rogue Heir of Elethorn (Oct-Dec '22)

Discuss Miscellaneous HeroQuest Merchandise not fitting into any of the above categories.

What do you think of this announcement?

Here we go again
20%
I don't care
8%
Can't wait to pre-order
35%
Can't be real... no it can't be!
No votes
Maybe it will be good
15%
I'll wait for more info...
23%

Total votes : 40

Re: Hero Collection II: Rogue Heir of Elethorn (Oct-Dec '22)

Postby HispaZargon » May 15th, 2023, 7:20 am

Not sure if it has been already mentioned, but in October 1996, Mr. Carl Forhan already suggested the inclusion of a Rogue Hero in HeroQuest, in an article for Vindicator Magazine Volume 1 #5a.

You can find this article here in the Inn, in this old link.

It is quite surprising the similarities between Forhan's design for the Rogue and the rules finally included by Hasbro for them in The Rogue Heir of Elethorn expansion. Of course they are not the same, Forhan's Rogue did not have Skill Cards, but he included some special rules for them in line with the Hasbro ones and he already considered the use of daggers and a tool kit as an inherent part of the Rogues. Moreover their starting Body Points and Mind Points are the same defined by Hasbro!

Just coincidences?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » May 15th, 2023, 11:44 am

While a lot of the stuff in HeroQuest is playing on stereotypes or tropes from the genre, so I'm not too surprised that precedents exist (Knights, Rogues, Clerics, Paladins, Centaurs, Fairies... all have been proposed before in HeroQuest) I'm sure in their research phase the Avalon Hill guys were all over the internet (including all over this site) looking for inspiration and could certainly have used that to help inspire them...

Thanks for sharing!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » October 23rd, 2023, 1:19 pm

So I've got a question on the Rogue's skills, mainly Ambidextrous: I've played the Rogue a few times and found he/she is good with a Shortsword (Orc's Bane at best), I've usually used her first attack with the Shortsword, but if the Monster isn't dead attack again with the Dagger. That's how I figured it was meant, but I just discovered an alternative use:
What if the Rogue attacks an Orc and kills it with her Shortsword, but there's also a goblin across the room, could she then throw a dagger across the room to kill that Goblin too? Upon reading her skill cards I see nothing that disqualifies this option.
If this is the case, couldn't Ambidextrous be combined with Opportunistic Striker? If another hero is adjacent to the goblin that's across the room, couldn't she get +1 AD when throwing said dagger?
Opportunistic Striker does say "Once per turn", so if the attack against the Orc was a standard, unaltered attack, couldn't the Opportunistic Strike get combined with Ambidextrous?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Vorimir » October 23rd, 2023, 2:09 pm

I think you stand correct. The rogue is note quite poweful but is a versatile hero.
Vorimir

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:

Postby The Admiral » October 23rd, 2023, 3:36 pm

Yes, with opportunistic strike, if you can make two attacks, then you can add the extra dice to either of those if they qualify.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Aki » October 24th, 2023, 8:11 am

I think the point is, like multiple attacks, you permit to have two difference target? Or you can attack twice but the same monster?
I'm using the Rogue just right now and battle axe with oppurtunistic strike is a bane for monsters ;)
Aki

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: Italiano
Hero:

Postby wallydubbs » October 24th, 2023, 9:02 am

Aki wrote:I think the point is, like multiple attacks, you permit to have two difference target? Or you can attack twice but the same monster?
I'm using the Rogue just right now and battle axe with oppurtunistic strike is a bane for monsters ;)

I thought you can't use heavy weapons with the Rogue...

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby manaknight14 » October 24th, 2023, 11:34 am

wallydubbs wrote:I thought you can't use heavy weapons with the Rogue...

Technically, the Rogue has no restrictions on weapons. The only limitation is when using the ambidextrous ability, which is limited to short swords and daggers.
manaknight14

Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby The Admiral » October 24th, 2023, 11:52 am

Aki wrote:I think the point is, like multiple attacks, you permit to have two difference target? Or you can attack twice but the same monster?

I don't know what would stop you making those two attacks, if allowed, against different targets.

Yes, the rogue would get 5 dice if using the Battle axe. Very powerful attack but their defence is still very low.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous HeroQuest Items