• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HEROQUEST - COMPANION APP discussion

Discuss Miscellaneous HeroQuest Merchandise not fitting into any of the above categories.

Re: HEROQUEST - COMPANION APP discussion

Postby Kurgan » February 10th, 2022, 1:23 pm

Thanks for that, hopefully it helps someone who wants to run it!

These android emulators ran like crap on my system because I was unable to enable the virtual memory thing in the bios that they basically require to run decently.

Are you on Windows 10? What system specs are recommended for running the HeroQuest Companion App on a computer?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby krize » February 10th, 2022, 3:39 pm

It runs well here but its a gaming pc from a few years ago.. Specs: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz, 16,0 GB ram, 64bit windows10, GTX 1060 Screencard.
krize

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » February 10th, 2022, 3:49 pm

I have an older system, upgraded so it actually beats yours (although the video card is antiquated, the app isn't fancy enough to really tax it). it's just the emulator uses virtual memory (which means popular games like fortnite will be 1-5 FPS). the issue I have when trying to install the HeroQuest app is that it says the device isn't connected to the network.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby krize » February 10th, 2022, 5:03 pm

Ok, do your bluestacks connect to the internet at all ?
krize

Hero:

Postby HispaZargon » March 10th, 2022, 10:40 am

It seems Avalon Hill Games has loosely confirmed in their twitter account that new online free quests will be also included in the Companion App.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » March 10th, 2022, 11:40 am

Avalon Hill Games wrote:@AvalonHill
Replying to
@AerynB91
No announcements on that... yet.
11:24 AM · Mar 4, 2022·Khoros Publishing App
(such a tease...)

Ah yes. So it's not just meant for quests that have already been released in another form.

It's still a bit puzzling that they would include the Mythic exclusive heroes when even today only a limited number of people actually got those characters.

THEN AGAIN, the avalon hill pages are still up, allowing even people who never owned the Remake at all to reconstruct and play with those heroes, as long as they're willing to make their own cards (easily done by writing on pieces of paper and substituting any miniature they want for the unique character). Only one small change was made to one spell in the final version from that anyway.

The Companion App would be very strange and unchallenging if played without a physical game, but a person could do it even if they had the classic game and not the remake as well.

I just wish they'd release a version of the App that is playable on regular computers, not just mobile devices. The emulators are just too slow and buggy to run it for me...
Last edited by Kurgan on March 10th, 2022, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Xoxxala » March 10th, 2022, 1:00 pm

HispaZargon wrote:It seems Avalon Hill Games has loosely confirmed in their twitter account that new online free quests will be also included in the Companion App.

That’s good news.

We’ve only used the app once, but it worked pretty well. Glad to hear they are updating it with more content.
Xoxxala

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:

Postby shogeko » March 16th, 2022, 6:29 pm

I'm running the companion app on bluestacks and have a basic question. The board scrolling seems to behave strange on bluestacks. Just tapping or clicking a character the board will start to scroll in a direction making it difficult to get precise movement. As I'm moving the cursor to guide the character along the path the board scrolling is all over the place.

I've fiddled with the control settings, slowing down the scrolling. Messing with the edge scroll settings which I didn't expect to help. Nothing really changes the behavior. Has anyone else had this behavior and solved it?
shogeko

Hero:

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » April 4th, 2022, 8:49 am

Following a recent session with the app on the Lost Wizard quest I noticed the following glitches (if I am the only one to experience these I'll put it down to bad hardware or similar, but I'm posting in case I'm not the only one!)

One of the Stone Dread Warriors, moved its full movement allowance, ending adjacent to the Wizard but then its turn ended and play moved to the next monster without it attacking (obviously I just rolled the attack on its behalf but it was a glitch although a minor one compared to the next one)

Upon achieving the objective and my first Hero reaching the stairs and exiting the dungeon as normal, then my second hero hit the stairs and I confirmed ‘do you want to leave the dungeon’ but then a second message appeared asking me to confirm whether my third hero wanted to leave the dungeon, despite him not being on or even near the stairs, I hit 'Yes', then prompted for my fourth and last Hero to leave the dungeon, also he wasn’t near the stairs and I clicked 'No' just to see what would happen (why, oh why?), this left me in a state where the game was still open and running but with no Heroes on the board! I couldn’t get out of the game so had to leave and cancel and then run through it on the app again.
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » April 4th, 2022, 9:10 am

I can understand that they are imagining a person sitting at the table with the game set up and then their phone or tablet sitting to the side. But the thing is, especially if you are going to use a tablet, it's not a big jump to say it's a laptop or mini-pc sitting there that you're referring to. Since the app is free, it's not like they're missing out somehow if they allow people to use it on a non-mobile platform, so that part bugs me. I might actually use it if they released it on other platforms.

But I've now come up with my own way to play solo quests, that can work with virtually any quest map, so there. ;)

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext