• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HEROQUEST - COMPANION APP discussion

Discuss Miscellaneous HeroQuest Merchandise not fitting into any of the above categories.

Re: HEROQUEST - COMPANION APP discussion

Postby HispaZargon » January 4th, 2022, 9:01 pm

SirRick wrote:I skimmed over the topic, but I am still confused as to what the companion app does. Can you play it like a game while on your lunch break at work, or do you need the whole game set up before you? Do you roll dice yourself and input the results, or does the app have a virtual dice roller? How is movement handled?

I am very curious but I don't have any suitable devices to try it out myself.

Basically the app replaces the Evil Wizard player but you must own a copy of the board game box, at least minimum you need the cards and dice and somewhere to take notes. Knowing the game rules I think is also a requirement to use well the app, especially dealing with traps.

The app user must roll all the dice the heroes have to roll during the game and say the app the rolled results. Moreover, the app user must draw the Treasure cards from the real deck of cards and apply the effects of the card by himself. If a wandering monster card is drawn, the app will say the user which type of monster is. The app user must track the spells, gold, equipment, artifacts, etc. that own each hero at each moment, some basic tools are included in the app to aid the tracking of the Body and Mind points that have each hero.

When a monster attacks a hero, the app only rolls the attack dice of the monster, the hero defence ones must be rolled by the user who applies the effects of the combat. If a monster is attacked, the monster defence ones must be rolled by the app user but the app says how many defence dice have the monster. Body points lost by a monster must be informed to the app by the user.

The app decides which spells are casted by evil characters and their target but user player has to apply their effects. The app tracks which spells have already cast the evil characters but it does not track the ones casted by heroes, so user must track them.

The app user says the app where the heroes move after rolling their movement dice and the app will say the user if the heroes step in a trap or not and the app shows what areas of the board discovers the hero, showing the doors, furniture, etc., when applicable. The user must say the app if a hero opens a door, etc.

Some special events and attacks in my opinion are so well introduced. For example if a hero wants to attack the Witch Lord with a different weapon than the Spirit Blade the app will say him that he cannot make the attack, and details like that are introduced in the app.

In my opinion, despite bugs, limitations or time consuming, I think the idea is quite useful for solo play or groups of players whose nobody want to be the Evil Wizard. Of course the mind of a human Evil Wizard is not replaced at all, but it tries to... Hasbro will probably improve the app with new aids in future versions.
Last edited by HispaZargon on January 4th, 2022, 9:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby SirRick » January 4th, 2022, 9:17 pm

Thanks for the answers Kurgan and HispaZargon! That really clears things up. The app sounds a little disappointing but at least still serves a purpose.

I'm guessing the companion app for Star Wars Imperial Assault is probably the same type of thing. That is another game I've been dying to try, but for now I am smitten with Hero Quest fever.

Rewards:
Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
SirRick

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » January 4th, 2022, 10:30 pm

Yes, I was concerned how they were going to do this. I figured if they made the app do too much and be too complete, then many people would just get it instead of the game (thus a mistake to give it away for free!). I worried that perhaps they would sell the app to the world but limit the physical game to a handful of collectors. Thankfully that didn't turn out to be the case, and it seems to have been just made as a tool to fill out some people's game if they felt like they needed it. Maybe if I was playing it for the first time I'd love such a thing, but knowing how much fun it is to match wits against Zargon or channel your evil plans through him, it seems like a throwaway gimmick... even if it has some nice supplemental artwork, if you're a fan of the remake's style of course.

I wish they had gotten a Christopher Lee sound-alike to play Zargon instead of someone doing an impression of Mark Hamill as the Joker. But maybe someone can figure out how to hack in custom dialog... that's probably wishful thinking on my part.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Sinned » January 7th, 2022, 1:53 pm

SirRick wrote:
I'm guessing the companion app for Star Wars Imperial Assault is probably the same type of thing. That is another game I've been dying to try, but for now I am smitten with Hero Quest fever.

Big IA fan here (have all boxes, packs)

The thing with IA is that the app was created years after the game was released. And that shows.
Example: you're playing the game and the current mission is on Hoth, an ice planet. The app often generates random encounters. If you have the Twin Suns expansion (you have to enter all expansions/packs in the menu) then you might be facing Tusken Raiders (aka Sand People) in the snow.
Same if you're on a desert planet and have the Hoth expansion: Wampa's in the sun!
Have the Emperor Palpatine pack? You might see him in a jungle.

If you're playing with a person as the GM such things won't happen if the GM values Star Wars lore.

Besides this, the app can sometimes make some weird decisions.

It's not all bad though as there's great storytelling, good sound effects and a real Star Wars feel. Sometimes you have more than one planet you can go to!

I also have Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle Earth, a game only playable with an app. I have to say that game is beautiful and the app works like a charm.

Question for all:
I live in the Netherlands and can't find the HeroQuest app in the Google Play store. Is it only available in the USA?
Does anyone know how I can access it?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters.
Sinned

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby HispaZargon » January 7th, 2022, 2:00 pm

Sinned wrote:Question for all:[/b] I live in the Netherlands and can't find the HeroQuest app in the Google Play store. Is it only available in the USA?

Hi, in Spain you can download it without any problem, even it allows you configuring it in Spanish language. I guess it would be also available in Nederlands or it would be available soon. Other option could be your device does not support it but I think it would be rare. Hope you will solve it.

Rewards:
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » January 7th, 2022, 2:26 pm

If you're in a country that doesn't support it, I'm told simply using a VPN may allow you access...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sinned » January 7th, 2022, 4:45 pm

HispaZargon wrote:
Sinned wrote:Question for all:[/b] I live in the Netherlands and can't find the HeroQuest app in the Google Play store. Is it only available in the USA?

Hi, in Spain you can download it without any problem, even it allows you configuring it in Spanish language. I guess it would be also available in Nederlands or it would be available soon. Other option could be your device does not support it but I think it would be rare. Hope you will solve it.

Tried on 3 different Samsung Galaxy devices, one of them brand new. No success.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters.
Sinned

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » January 7th, 2022, 7:17 pm

Bummer. The patched version worked for me, but then I was using a slightly older IOS (had to update the iphones OS before it would work though).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » January 17th, 2022, 10:40 am

Don't think I have mentioned this one already - Why does the App show the action – disarm traps for Heroes that are not the Dwarf and are not equipped with the Tool Kit?
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby HispaZargon » January 17th, 2022, 10:57 am

Bareheaded Warrior wrote:Don't think I have mentioned this one already - Why does the App show the action – disarm traps for Heroes that are not the Dwarf and are not equipped with the Tool Kit?

Hi, the app does not know which equipment own the heroes. The user must know if a hero can disarm traps or not.

Rewards:
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous HeroQuest Items