• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HeroQuest - The Card Game

Discuss Miscellaneous HeroQuest Merchandise not fitting into any of the above categories.

Re: HeroQuest - The Card Game

Postby Shadzar » January 18th, 2021, 2:01 pm

lestodante wrote:Seems nobody posted anything about this new release

I did.

http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=5381&p=108056#p108056
Shadzar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby j_dean80 » January 18th, 2021, 2:09 pm

Shadzar wrote:

I did.

It was already unavailable then.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Shadzar » January 18th, 2021, 3:17 pm

j_dean80 wrote:
Shadzar wrote:

I did.

It was already unavailable then.

Yeah, which is confusing. because it seemed to only be available during the board game campaign, but nobody knew about it..... it is VERY strange and weird things going on. Why would they put out a card game when they are trying to put out a board game?
Shadzar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:

Postby Davane » January 18th, 2021, 3:36 pm

Shadzar wrote:Yeah, which is confusing. because it seemed to only be available during the board game campaign, but nobody knew about it..... it is VERY strange and weird things going on. Why would they put out a card game when they are trying to put out a board game?

Like I said, FFG released WHQ as a card game when they briefly got the license from GW. IT seemed like this was more of an attempt to snag WHQ and prevent it from competing with FFG's existing dungeon crawler board game, Descent.

I know there's an obscure law in copyright law that says if you don't use an IP for so long, it becomes public domain, or can be snagged up by a competitor, and it already happened once with the HeroQuest brand. Maybe Hasbro are just creating content to retain ownership over HQ.

Some video games companies have done this and worse to hold on to franchises that would expire if they don't use them, to the point that some will release unfinished and buggy games just to get something "out the door" before the deadline.

Thing is, given the simplicity of HQ, a HQ card game might not be all that bad. The WHQ card game wasn't bad, but it wasn't exactly WHQ either.

Plus, if it was only available whilst the board game reprint fundraiser was taking place, why no scalpers trying to flog them of as HQ spares? The dice, even if you have to stick on your own stickers, would be valuable in that context...
"The HeroQuest World is loosely based on the Warhammer World which is the copyright of Games Workshop and is used by their permission."

HeroQuest Combined English Edition Rule Book (HQ CERB)
Davane

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Postby Kurgan » January 18th, 2021, 6:00 pm

Kind of reminds me of that one guy who put up that youtube video of the "preview" pack of Remake Heroquest stuff (dice, a pre-painted dwarf figure and a slightly oversized dice box shaped like the "tomb" furniture). The marketing budget for this stuff must have been tiny. It only spreads by word of mouth online?

Then again, if you're assuming people are searching google every day for "latest Hero Quest news" maybe you found a way to save money.

Well let's be real, classic HQ dice would work too, even if the art style is different. We could even print our own stickers to make them "match."

I won't rehash my opinions of scalpers here...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby cornixt » January 18th, 2021, 6:18 pm

Maybe it is just a sample version of a game that hasn't been released yet, and some enterprising guy who got some copies was selling them on Amazon.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » January 20th, 2021, 3:22 pm

HeroQuest The Card Game appears to be shipping sometime between February 3rd – March 5th and looks to cost $19.74 plus $9.99 shipping.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » January 20th, 2021, 6:24 pm

Something for you to munch on until the boxes from Hasbro arrive... ? And maybe they're hoping to draw in more curious potential players, at a fraction of the cost of the real thing.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » January 21st, 2021, 6:04 pm

j_dean80 wrote:
HeroQuest The Card Game appears to be shipping sometime between February 3rd – March 5th and looks to cost $19.74 plus $9.99 shipping.

I noticed this... curious my copy in Italy was only 10 Euros and free shipping!

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » January 21st, 2021, 8:01 pm

QorDaq wrote:I agree with many folks on BGG, here at the Inn, etc. that this has been a very odd product intro. Perhaps not so surprising given that the marketing for the reprint/re-release of the core game was so uneventful. Still, it really feels like the folks making the marketing decisions either don't understand the various modern hobby game phenomena or are somehow unaware of them.

It's also possible that there is an agenda to kill the franchise, like CBS has sometimes done with Star Trek. Though I have trouble fully understanding the point in resurrecting it just to kill it, unless there are politics happening behind the scenes where something was green-lit by a prior exec or team who is no longer around to manage the project (Firefly). My examples are from television because I am not aware of a board game analog of my thoughts on this sort of corporate Frak/Frellery. . . .

The brand manager for Heroquest was gone the day after the conclusion of the Pulse campaign. Apparently there was no one around to announce the card game. :roll:
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous HeroQuest Items