• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Thoughts on the New Warlock Hero?

Discuss Miscellaneous HeroQuest Merchandise not fitting into any of the above categories.

Re: Thoughts on the New Warlock Hero?

Postby Kurgan » December 14th, 2020, 4:32 pm

Thinking about the Warlock hero character as written...

What are the Wand's true abilities? The description on the blog says it attacks with 2 combat dice at range. It's worded like the crossbow, but it doesn't explicitly say it can't attack an adjacent enemy. So if it can, that's fine, but if it can't that means the Warlock attacks with 1 die adjacent. Even more reason to keep your distance!

The blog also says the character has similar restrictions to the Wizard, so that means I guess:

Can use daggers and Staff to attack.
Can use Wizard's staff? Wizard's Cloak?
Can use Bracers and Cloak (assuming they ported those over from the EU equipment deck).

So potentially we're talking about a character that COULD have the following abilities:

Attack = 2 (ranged with Wand), 1 adjacent/diagonal (Staff), 2 adjacent/diagonal (Wizard's staff or possibly the Wand at close range if that's allowed). No reason to ever use a dagger, unless you happen to lose your Wand (rust wouldn't affect it since it's not a sword or helmet and twist wood doesn't exist in this remake).

Defend = 4 (Base: 2 + 1 Bracers + 1 Cloak/Wizard's Cloak)

That overall defense can be raised as well. Rock Skin +1 (until they suffer 1 BP of damage). And Potion of Defense +2. So that's 7 (for one defense, then 5 until they take a hit).

They could use Demonform to attack with 3 (and at range, using the Wand) and this could be done as long as they don't take 1 BP damage and done multiple times per quest, as long as they can regain a spell from killing a monster.

So their attack can be made even stronger... using the Wand (or Wizard's Staff, if it's allowed), they can add a Potion of Strength (+2) and have Courage cast on them (+2) for a total of 7 (for one attack), then 5 thereafter as long as Monsters are visible.

Dark Wings provides a weird form of healing of a sort (negating damage and escaping).

So thinking of progression, you could get an expensive (?) cloak or fight with the Wizard over the Wizard's Cloak to improve her defense and buy Bracers. More pressing to buy a staff (or fight with the Wizard over the Wizard's Staff Artifact) if the Wand can't attack adjacently (or if it can and you lose it somehow).

I keep saying "if you lose it somehow" because they say you can buy another one, which you'd have no reason to do unless there's a way you can lose it. What else would you do, sell it if you were desperate for party funds (and lose your main method of attack)? There's no option to dual wield them, after all.

They really need to rewrite the "only the Warlock can buy it" mechanic. That's silly. It just creates a loophole wherein they can buy an extra one and give it to another Hero. If they don't want other Heroes to have a 2 die ranged weapon, just say "can only be used by the Warlock." That's all you need to say! Simple.

Other than Quest specific Treasure of course, we can only expect there to be one instance of Potion of Defense or Potion of Strength. If one or more of the Magic users is missing from the Quest, you may be lacking the Fire Spells (and can't rely on Courage) or Earth Spells (and can't rely on Rock Skin). But if both are present then you can use both, either because the Wizard picked at least Earth and Fire, or the Elf is there and picked the one you needed. Then again, Spell Scrolls are a thing in the NA versions of KK & ROTWL which will be part of this remake. Anybody who has pledged Mythic Tier will have access to the unlocks too, so those come into play. Both have their own copy of Courage (so 2 of those potentially) and KK has Rock Skin. If you aren't playing those packs and there's no opportunity to find one of them or draw a random scroll in the new packs of course, that might not be an option.

Will the new Quest books make use of these items? We'll have to wait and see.

Kellar's Keep has a random draw for a Spell Scroll in Quest 6. If they clarify the rules as to what order you're supposed to play them in and whether these "unlock" from pack to pack I suppose that could matter. But since you've got both of them, you can pool your Spell Scroll cards, which means a greater chance of getting the dupes (the 3 Fire Spells have two copies of each and there's two copies of the Earth Spell "Heal Body"). Still relevant. :2cents:
Last edited by Kurgan on December 16th, 2020, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » December 16th, 2020, 10:57 pm

I forgot to mention that the NA version does not have the little known rule of unused Treasure deck potions disappearing between quests present in the EU edition... so in theory you could stockpile potions. No reason why you'd want to except to make some future boss battle much easier, but you could stock a number of potions, assuming Zargon will have you write down the potion and return the card to the deck for next Quest instead of letting you hang onto it until it gets used. I believe that's the way it's supposed to go anyway. And of course you can buy as many "Alchemist Shop" potions as you can afford (none of these add to your Attack/Defend dice however). We're not told how these will manifest, will they be Equipment cards?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » January 22nd, 2021, 8:11 am

I tried to come up with an alternate for the Warlock and it's a Ranger, here posted from HeroForge (good idea, j_dean80!). I guess a tiny bowstring would be too fragile to 3d print. But a little thread could be stretched and glued to complete the illusion I suppose.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Fullork345 » November 23rd, 2021, 7:00 pm

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but was it figured out if the wand and demonform stacked?
Fullork345

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » November 23rd, 2021, 7:07 pm

So we know there's no regular Cloak (only the Wizard's Cloak) and no instructions on using this hero in the quests. I don't see a reason why Demonform would not "stack" with whatever weapon was being used, including the Wand.

Also due to the same probable oversight in text wording, this character can use the handaxe, just like the Wizard, for 2 damage (and throwable but lost when thrown) and gets to wear Bracers as armor.

So max of regular defense of 5 dice (could be upped by spells and potions) since she could wear the Wizard's Cloak and CROWN of Shadows as well as the Bracers.

Edit: accidentally typed "Cloak of Shadows," which is of course a totally different thing! :oops:
Last edited by Kurgan on November 29th, 2021, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Fullork345 » November 23rd, 2021, 8:36 pm

Is cloak of shadows new?
Fullork345

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby arntisdale » November 27th, 2021, 12:42 pm

Played a round with my brother yesterday, and he ran the barbarian, dwarf, warlock, & druid.
We ran Rogar's Hall. Figured I'd see how throwing the biggest scariest challenge panned out with the new guys.

The warlock was pretty terrifying. Throwing 3 combat dice at range using demonform most of the time was very destructive. He wisely kept her just around corners, firing through diagonal LoS. Since the wand isn't limited as the crossbow, and she can fire at any target she can 'see' I took this to mean it could be used against any target that she had LoS to, whether they be adjacent or not. At least with the crossbow, you can't fire at the adjacent 8 spaces (no range 1 attacks).

This was a very powerful character on their first quest.

I would definitely mod her in the future, I like the drained wand ideas proposed earlier in this thread.
I use finite ammo for my ranged weapons, having an unlimited ammo 3 attack die wand (in demonform) right outta the box was too much. Even if she loses her demonform, getting a kill and regaining the spell ain't that hard.
arntisdale

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby Daedalus » November 29th, 2021, 12:37 pm

Kurgan wrote:. . . So max of regular defense of 5 dice (could be upped by spells and potions) since she could wear the Wizard's Cloak and Cloak of Shadows as well as the Bracers.

Fullork345 wrote:Is cloak of shadows new?

Either Kurgan's spellchecker got in the way or he slipped terms because he was likely referring to the new Crown of Shadows from The Crypt of Perpetual Darkness. That artifact gives any hero wearing it one extra Defend die.

The Wizard spell Cloak of Shadows from Wizards of Morcar is a thing, but an old one that doesn't confer a Defend die.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » November 29th, 2021, 1:35 pm

Good catch, yep, you caught my gaffe above!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » November 29th, 2021, 2:07 pm

AmalgamAsh is posting videos defending the new heroes. Here's his take on the Warlock

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext