• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Dice

Discuss Miscellaneous HeroQuest Merchandise not fitting into any of the above categories.

Re: Dice

Postby slev » May 20th, 2015, 1:33 pm

Anderas wrote:Whereas for defense, reliability is better. In attack a random high result is quite piercing and good. But in defense you avoid the zero at all cost.

I don't know that's true. Is the chance of getting two shields at once worth the risk?

Mo? Can you maths this?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Count Mohawk » May 20th, 2015, 1:58 pm

slev wrote:
Anderas wrote:Whereas for defense, reliability is better. In attack a random high result is quite piercing and good. But in defense you avoid the zero at all cost.

I don't know that's true. Is the chance of getting two shields at once worth the risk?

Mo? Can you maths this?

Anderas is correct. For Heroes, Green dice defend better than Purples. Excel proof:
In this case, the difference between colors becomes less pronounced the more Attack Dice the monsters roll against you.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby slev » May 20th, 2015, 1:59 pm

And for teh monsters?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » May 20th, 2015, 2:06 pm

slev wrote:And for teh monsters?

What about them? It seems pretty obvious that Masterful Defense > Orange > Blue > other.
Edit: Oh, right, the Purples now have one face with a double Walrus. In that case Masterful > Orange/Yellow > Blue > Purple > other.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cornixt » May 20th, 2015, 2:26 pm

Has anyone considered dice that have two different symbols on a side? Say, replacing one skull side and one shield side with two skull/shield sides. The dice then becomes better for both defense and attack, reducing the need for more different dice.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » May 20th, 2015, 2:39 pm

It would be my favorite!

I would like one with 1-2-2 and one with a 1-2-3 of everything.

But on the other hand, that is already far away from Heroquest.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby slev » May 20th, 2015, 3:46 pm

cornixt wrote:Has anyone considered dice that have two different symbols on a side? Say, replacing one skull side and one shield side with two skull/shield sides. The dice then becomes better for both defense and attack, reducing the need for more different dice.

I considered something like this when starting designing a new game. Partially inspired by the dice from Runebound and/or Descent.

Symbols would include arrow, sword, armour, helm, shield, & star (spell). Each face would have up to three symbols on it. Roll, and if the symbol matching the action/equipment is rolled, count that die.

Rewards:
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » May 20th, 2015, 6:24 pm

Any chance you number crunching demi-gods care to do some number analysis with just one or two of the custom dice in a dice roll for common dice rolls?
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby clmckay » May 20th, 2015, 9:13 pm

Hi Count, how do you calculate the body points of damage percents. I can follow the rest, but that's eluding me....

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » May 20th, 2015, 9:40 pm

clmckay wrote:Hi Count, how do you calculate the body points of damage percents. I can follow the rest, but that's eluding me....

OK, Body Points of Damage is referring to how much damage the attack roll deals, after subtracting the shields from the defense roll. Let's look at my example of "Monster with 4 Whites attacks Hero with 3 Greens", which is the first image in my first post on this page. In order for 1 damage to be dealt, the Monster must roll exactly 1 more Skull than the Hero rolls Shields. So we sum the probabilities for all of those cases: P(1 Skull / 0 Shields) + P(2 Skulls / 1 Shield) + P(3 Skulls / 2 Shields) + P(4 Skulls / 3 Shields) = 3.13% + 14.06% + 9.38% + 0.78% = 27.3%, as shown on the chart.

The other probabilities for different amounts of damage work the same, except for the 0 damage case, which includes all possibilities where the defending figure rolls at least as many shields as the attacker rolls Skulls. (Or, in other words, it folds into itself the sum of not just 0 damage, but -1, -2, etc as well.)

cynthialee wrote:Any chance you number crunching demi-gods care to do some number analysis with just one or two of the custom dice in a dice roll for common dice rolls?

I'll get to this in a little while. If there's a specific set of combinations you want, let me know; otherwise, I'll probably pick and choose sets of colored dice at random.

Rewards:
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous HeroQuest Items