• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers

Topics relating to HeroScape.

Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers

Postby Daedalus » May 24th, 2017, 8:56 am

Has anyone played Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers? It got pretty good reviews, as it gave more tactical choices with the hand of planeswalker cards. I never got into MTG, but this simplified version crossed with Heroscape looks kinda fun. Now that it has a few expansions, I think it might be worth getting.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers

Postby Thor-in » May 24th, 2017, 6:12 pm

I have played it, it is fun. The one thing I did enjoy about it is the dice are almost HQ style. It's every simple to learn. I also have one of the expansion packs and most likely get more.
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » September 26th, 2017, 3:55 am

The Innistrad expansion/starter has been recommended by reviewers because of its flexibility of factions. Have you played it, and would you recommend it if I got just 1 set? (As a moderate Heroscape collector, I hope to get both base sets along with the Zendikar expansion, but availability/shipping is a problem in Asia.)
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » September 26th, 2017, 12:50 pm

I have not played that one yet. I have the original version and the first expansion set. I do know that with the expansion Battle for Zendikar I ended up with a multicolored Planswalker (blue and green I think), and a Eldrazi Ruiner that made the game way more interesting to play. I would say yes try that one and see, I'm planning on getting it myself so then I have the complete set for some interesting game play.

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » September 27th, 2017, 9:01 am

I have not played that particular game. I played MTG for a bit - some friends of mine were playing,
and then they stopped, and I was left with no one to play and a bunch of cards. I have a mess load of
old, random cards, so it'd be really hard for me to do anything at a game store - I had gotten into it
just for playing with friends.

MTG itself is neat, and the story lines behind some of the cards and characters and such is pretty good.
I have learned to hate the entire idea of "collectible card games" or collectible any-thing game, and I steer
clear of them.

If I find any friends who play, though - I kept all the cards I did buy, and I have a few decks I can make with
them...they're decent decks, I think.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Thor-in » September 27th, 2017, 9:55 am

torilen wrote:I have not played that particular game. I played MTG for a bit - some friends of mine were playing,
and then they stopped, and I was left with no one to play and a bunch of cards. I have a mess load of
old, random cards, so it'd be really hard for me to do anything at a game store - I had gotten into it
just for playing with friends.

MTG itself is neat, and the story lines behind some of the cards and characters and such is pretty good.
I have learned to hate the entire idea of "collectible card games" or collectible any-thing game, and I steer
clear of them.

If I find any friends who play, though - I kept all the cards I did buy, and I have a few decks I can make with
them...they're decent decks, I think.

Same here, I stopped collecting awhile ago. I'll still buy some here and there to see what they have done with the game but not like I did fifteen years ago. I have something like 3,000 +/- a thousand cards (not including land cards) that I can't do anything with, well that's not totally true my wife, nephew and I will play maybe twice a year. We do more D&D now then anything else.

However if you're looking for a game that combines MTG and HeroScape then you found it. I've never played HeroScape but I've heard MTG Battle of the Plainswalkers is a lot like it.

Rewards:
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:

Return to HeroScape Room