Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers

Topics relating to HeroScape.

Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers

Postby Daedalus » Wednesday May 24th, 2017 8:56am

Has anyone played Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers? It got pretty good reviews, as it gave more tactical choices with the hand of planeswalker cards. I never got into MTG, but this simplified version crossed with Heroscape looks kinda fun. Now that it has a few expansions, I think it might be worth getting.
________
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS YOU

VOTE NOW!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Re: Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers

Postby Thor-in » Wednesday May 24th, 2017 6:12pm

I have played it, it is fun. The one thing I did enjoy about it is the dice are almost HQ style. It's every simple to learn. I also have one of the expansion packs and most likely get more.
:skeleton: "Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » Tuesday September 26th, 2017 3:55am

The Innistrad expansion/starter has been recommended by reviewers because of its flexibility of factions. Have you played it, and would you recommend it if I got just 1 set? (As a moderate Heroscape collector, I hope to get both base sets along with the Zendikar expansion, but availability/shipping is a problem in Asia.)
________
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS YOU

VOTE NOW!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Yeti
Yeti

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » Tuesday September 26th, 2017 12:50pm

I have not played that one yet. I have the original version and the first expansion set. I do know that with the expansion Battle for Zendikar I ended up with a multicolored Planswalker (blue and green I think), and a Eldrazi Ruiner that made the game way more interesting to play. I would say yes try that one and see, I'm planning on getting it myself so then I have the complete set for some interesting game play.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » Wednesday September 27th, 2017 9:01am

I have not played that particular game. I played MTG for a bit - some friends of mine were playing,
and then they stopped, and I was left with no one to play and a bunch of cards. I have a mess load of
old, random cards, so it'd be really hard for me to do anything at a game store - I had gotten into it
just for playing with friends.

MTG itself is neat, and the story lines behind some of the cards and characters and such is pretty good.
I have learned to hate the entire idea of "collectible card games" or collectible any-thing game, and I steer
clear of them.

If I find any friends who play, though - I kept all the cards I did buy, and I have a few decks I can make with
them...they're decent decks, I think.
Magic beats the blade every time...unless you are caught asleep or else-wise occupied.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Swordsman
Swordsman

Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Thor-in » Wednesday September 27th, 2017 9:55am

torilen wrote:I have not played that particular game. I played MTG for a bit - some friends of mine were playing,
and then they stopped, and I was left with no one to play and a bunch of cards. I have a mess load of
old, random cards, so it'd be really hard for me to do anything at a game store - I had gotten into it
just for playing with friends.

MTG itself is neat, and the story lines behind some of the cards and characters and such is pretty good.
I have learned to hate the entire idea of "collectible card games" or collectible any-thing game, and I steer
clear of them.

If I find any friends who play, though - I kept all the cards I did buy, and I have a few decks I can make with
them...they're decent decks, I think.

Same here, I stopped collecting awhile ago. I'll still buy some here and there to see what they have done with the game but not like I did fifteen years ago. I have something like 3,000 +/- a thousand cards (not including land cards) that I can't do anything with, well that's not totally true my wife, nephew and I will play maybe twice a year. We do more D&D now then anything else.

However if you're looking for a game that combines MTG and HeroScape then you found it. I've never played HeroScape but I've heard MTG Battle of the Plainswalkers is a lot like it.

Rewards:
Thor-in

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Return to HeroScape Room