• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

LurchBrick HQ PC game

Discuss other HeroQuest expansion topics that do not fit into the above categories.

Re: LurchBrick HQ PC game

Postby Big Bene » Thursday July 28th, 2011 6:58am

LurchBrick wrote:1. I can't say I've ever seen that bug. A bit hard to trouble shoot without more information.

I don't think I can reproduce it, so all I can do is telling you what happened as good as I remember. There are two orcs in the second room in the first quest. I played with the barbarian only. I killed one orc, pressed "End turn", the remaining orc did not attack, Then in the next turn I walked over to him and killed him too, but couldn't end my turn-. The "End turn" button just didn't work, though all other game functions were still OK.
Any time you click on the stat box or the hero, the dice are rolled.

I meant, why do I have to click on anything at all? Why aren't the dice just rolled at the beginning of my turn? I will roll them anyways.
Or is this your way to determine when the heroes take their turn? I thoght they take turns in a fixed order, like in the original game, but as I only played with a single hero so far, I don't know.
As for the Search actions on screen, yes I do agree that they would be better to have on screen rather than as part of the right click on hero options. Until I get around to implementing this, you can use the hot keys "S" (Search for secret doors), "B" (Search for Booby traps) & "T" (Search for treasure). Just press those letters when you have a hero selected to do the action.

OK, but I still would like it if you would implement icons some time.
I'm more than happy for anyone to provide additional or improved graphics that are more true to the HQ style.

OK, the way I would do it (but not at once, I have other projects pending...):
- Import the animations from Neverwinter Nights into 3D Studio Max. They have all necessary: walking, fighting, casting, trap handling and dying. Moreover, they still have the figures assembled of individual body parts, rather than a skinmesh, which more modern games have, and which would be much to diffcult to customize.
- Create (or download and work over) body parts and clothes in 3D Studio that resemble the Heroquest heroes.
- Combine these with the Neverwinter animation skeleton.
- Export the graphics
- Optimize the graphics in Picture Publisher and export them as animated GIFs.
Perhaps there are people out there who would be willing to provide some help?

On another note:
If you would tell us the format you use for defining the quest maps, we could at least try to do some. Even without a specila editor.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby LurchBrick » Thursday July 28th, 2011 8:03am

There is no fixed order to use the heroes. The dice are only rolled the first time you click on a hero. Using multiple heroes means you need to roll multiple dice. The reason it happens when you click on a hero is just so it is in theme with the board game.

Unfortunately, the quest maps aren't editable without the main source code but having said that, I will release a quest editor at some time in the future. Just don't hold your breath on that being soon. :)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
LurchBrick

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby AerynB » Friday August 26th, 2011 3:10pm

I know it's been a month but I'm getting the same error message that dresden mentioned.

ERROR in
action number 1
of Other Event: Animation End
for object scaryskullobj:

Error in code at line 3:

playsound(welcomespeech);
^
at position 12: Unknown variable welcomespeech

I checked the hqsprite folder too, and the welcome.wav file is there. I played it too, and it sounds fine.
Just wondering if you've been able to look into this since dresden mentioned it. Thanks.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Princess
AerynB
Resident Editor

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby LurchBrick » Saturday August 27th, 2011 1:28am

Try this update: HTTP://members.westnet.com.au/brick27/hqupdate.zip

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what else I can do as it works just fine on my system. Try pressing Ignore when the error pops up and you should be able to continue on to the main menu.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
LurchBrick

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » Saturday August 27th, 2011 3:25am

Awesome game man! I've played the isometric version, but died at the first quest lol. Wasn't expecting to encounter chaos warriors and a gargoyle in the first round :P
Haven't played any further, but so far it's awesome. Is there a save function, so you can stop and continue at any quest? or even at any time?

RPG Gateway Die Roller's 100

Uncle Zargon
Wants YOU!

HeroQuest YeOldeInn

Image Image Image Image

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby LurchBrick » Saturday August 27th, 2011 5:04am

You can't save in the middle of a quest. However your progress automatically gets saved whenever you exit the armoury.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
LurchBrick

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby AerynB » Saturday August 27th, 2011 6:24pm

LurchBrick wrote:Try this update: HTTP://members.westnet.com.au/brick27/hqupdate.zip

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what else I can do as it works just fine on my system. Try pressing Ignore when the error pops up and you should be able to continue on to the main menu.

Well, I made some progress. :( I got this new error:
Code: Select all
ERROR in
action number 1
of Other Event: Animation End

Error in code at line 42:

playsound(welcomespeech);
             ^
at position 12: Unknown variable welcomespeech

I was able to IGNORE it but then I got this next one:
ERROR in
action number 1
of Alarm Event for alarm 0

Error in code at line 3:

if sound_isplaying(welcomespeech) {alarm[0] = 15;}
                          ^
at position 25: Unknown variable welcomespeech

But I was able to IGNORE this one too.
I picked my players, named them, and picked spells, but then I got this error and I couldn't IGNORE it to move on.
ERROR in
action number 1
of Draw Event
for object drawdiceendturn:

Error in code at line 9:

if turntextypos > 40
          ^
at position 9: Unknown variable turntextypos

ERROR in
action number 1
of Draw Event
for object drawdiceendturn:

Error in code at line 9:

if turntextypos > 40
          ^
at position 9: Unknown variable turntextypos

I have another thought I'm gonna try.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Princess
AerynB
Resident Editor

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Usergroups:

Postby AerynB » Saturday August 27th, 2011 6:42pm

my other thought didn't work either.

i still got the first and second errors, but i was still able to IGNORE them and move on.
I didn't get the next error after picking my players and picking their spells. the game went to the board and i was able to move my players. but i just moved them, i didn't test any of their actions. when it was morcar's turn, one of the orcs attacked me, but the game didn't show any dice. it just said that the orc missed in a message window. it didn't even open an error window like the other errors. it was still morcar's turn, but the other orc didn't move, and it never switched back to the heroes' turn. again, it didn't open an error window, so i can't show you what happened. i had to ctrl-alt-del to close the program.

i'll see if i can fiddle with it a little later tonight. maybe there's something else i'm doing wrong. sorry.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Princess
AerynB
Resident Editor

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Usergroups:

Postby LurchBrick » Saturday August 27th, 2011 8:45pm

I'm sorry, I can't really help you with this as everything works on my system. Can you let me know what OS you are using and some of your machine specs? There might be something I can find from that information.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
LurchBrick

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby AerynB » Saturday August 27th, 2011 9:05pm

Specs, huh? Well, the OS is Vista. But I had some problems with it back in March and had to do a huge reset to factory defaults (I originally bought it in 2007). I thought I had gotten it up to date but who knows. I just use it to play around with, not like the computer I have for work stuff. ... Hmm, that was probably all irrelevant.

Windows Vista Home Premium
Service Pack 2
Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
MODEL: Satellite A205
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2330 @ 1.60 GHz 1.60 GHz
Memory (RAM): 1.00 GB
System type: 32-bit Operating System

I still have some other ideas on getting it to work. I think I have an older version from before April 2011 on another computer. I think I'll copy it onto a flash drive and try to run it on this laptop. If that doesn't work, I'll just fiddle around some more. ;) I can be relentless sometimes. :)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Princess
AerynB
Resident Editor

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Usergroups:

PreviousNext