• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Puzzle / Logic Trap / Escape Room Ideas

Discuss other HeroQuest expansion topics that do not fit into the above categories.

Re: Puzzle / Logic Trap / Escape Room Ideas

Postby Showdown35 » May 15th, 2019, 9:05 am

Thanks for the replies! Some nice ideas here I will be modifying and incorporating into future quests!

For KK, the only big change I made is adding the levers puzzle to the final quest which open the path to Grin's Crag. The clues as to the order to pull the levers? On the Stone Map pieces! I always felt the map was rather pointless as all it does is vaguely show the layout of the final quest, which doesn't really have much value to the heroes.
It's like a new pair of underwear; at first it's constrictive, but after a while it becomes a part of you. I have to go...

My HeroQuest Homebrew project site: http://www.showdowndave.ca/heroquest
Showdown35

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Count Mohawk » May 15th, 2019, 6:11 pm

I made a portal maze as one of the last quests in my upcoming Quest Pack "Heir of the Cursemaster".
Basically, a bunch of doors lead to other parts of the dungeon instead of to the next room over.
The Heroes have to navigate the door maze, find the secret doors that let them get around to the back side of the portals, and find both the exit portal and the mirror housing the item that lets them go through it.
Additionally, there are a few doors which curse the Heroes if they pass through them - so they can take what looks like a shortcut if they want to, but it may be costly!
I'll put up an image of the Quest layout later tonight.

Edit: Here we go!
The Heroes start in the room with the spiral stairway and must make their way to the center room to use the large portal there - but first must visit the mirror in the upper-right quadrant, otherwise that portal will not work.
Gray doors work like normal.
Passing through a blue door takes you through to the door with the same number on the same side (white or black arrow) as you entered.
Orange (trap) doors can also be passed through as normal, but will curse any Hero who moves through one! Probably there should be one or two more of these somewhere but I haven't decided where yet.

Oh, and one more catch: when the Heroes get the item from the mirror, all portals and curse doors stop working and become regular doors, necessitating a different route to get back to the middle room!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » May 16th, 2019, 12:39 am

Haha wow you're creative again. :lol:

And after the mirror was activated, all monsters are back but this time as Skeletons and Zombies. |_P

Will there be a different printed door to put in the standard door bases?

For the map layout, I think the arrows on the northern door 4 need to be inverted. As it is, one can access the mirror only from inside the portal room. Or was that intentional and a Secret Door is missing?

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » May 16th, 2019, 8:57 pm

I'm debating whether to print special "colored" door tiles, or to leave them all as normal and just make the Heroes figure it out.
While the second options is more evil and therefore normally better, I'm leaning towards different tiles just so the Heroes have a visual cue not to just walk through the portal-doors and thereby ruin my whole puzzle.

Also, I'm pretty sure the arrows on the portal-4s are correct? The mirror room requires access from White-4, which leads to the corridor to the right of the center room.
Passing through the room with the trapped chest leads to Black-2, which opens out into the corridor in the southwest of the map. All the Heroes have to do to get that far is open the secret door from the room with the Tomb, which is easily accessed from the Stairway by passing through portal White-3.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » May 17th, 2019, 12:32 am

Ah, so if I step into a door from the white side, I exit on the white side. Then I got it wrong yes.
Your teleport start is from the arrow in front of the door to the other arrow of the same color.
I was mind-playing it by stepping through a door and being teleported from the exit arrow to the other exit arrow of the same color (so I was doing it exactly wrong :-D )
It's a nice quest layout. I love a good maze! :-)

You could use that fire- or ice door tile from AtoH that is available on our download page to replace the inlay of some doors
Take a look

Saves some work

Also, I photoshopped something for you... not sure it is a 100% success, but at least it is something
Download a Letter format sheet of portal doors here

It is this door. Somehow I am not yet happy with it, but you could start right away with it.

The borders are dark so that you could color the borders of the cut out paper doors with a black pen

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Other Expansion Topics