• Advertisement
HeroGM Advanced Soundboard

Dive into the dimension of dynamic sound with Hero GM!
Free version available! Save 10% on full version with offer code "yeoldeinn"

If I would remake Heroscribe

Discuss other HeroQuest expansion topics that do not fit into the above categories.

If I would remake Heroscribe

Postby Anderas » Tuesday March 19th, 2019 5:47am

What if I would remake Heroscribe?

It seems surprisingly easy. I took a look at the source code yesterday, and it is not a lot. It is also written very clean and readable.

I tried to contact Flavio Chierichetti and Valerio Chierichetti now, like, five times, but no answer. If I continue, it becomes stalking. So I will have to do my own version instead of updating theirs.

I prefer python over java, so if I were to remake Heroscribe, it would be python code.

I have several fat modules already in python, like my symbol maker, a card generator and the questimator. I would bolt them on, if I can.

Is there anybody here with experience in GUI programming in Python? Is there anybody who could give me a hint if it is complicated to make it cross platform (to include the Mac OS)?

Any functions you would like? Though they would probably come not immediately.

Anybody who wants to participate, see here:
https://github.com/Anderas2/Heroscribe2
Last edited by Anderas on Sunday March 24th, 2019 2:27am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: If I would remake Heroscribe

Postby Maurice76 » Tuesday March 19th, 2019 7:18am

I give you a great kudos for this effort. And some Orcisch Ale |_P to help (or is that going to distract you from it? :P)

Can't wait to see what you are going to create! When possible, I'd like to give it a spin as beta-tester so to speak, when you're done ;).

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » Tuesday March 19th, 2019 7:25am

A way to import icons and maps.
Different color icon options without having to actually have multiple icons.
A way to export a Quest in NA and EU and not just the map. (I know I'm dreaming.)
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » Tuesday March 19th, 2019 8:08am

j_dean80 wrote:A way to import icons and maps.
Different color icon options without having to actually have multiple icons.
A way to export a Quest in NA and EU and not just the map. (I know I'm dreaming.)

Yes. Instead of preparing a thousand colours just do it in the runtime on user request.

And yes, have the quest texts somewhere and render it to a quest.

First of course, get it to work.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » Tuesday March 19th, 2019 8:08am

I guess the option to do the entire quest layout in-app, not just the map.
I know this is quite a bit more than a couple of tweaks, but it would be incredibly useful.
Making maps in the current program is super easy, but when it comes to making the rest in word or google docs it becomes quite a chore.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » Tuesday March 19th, 2019 9:38am

I remember when I had this same thought. Of course, it turns out that I'm not experienced enough in coding to make that a reality, so the thread I made ended up just languishing.

There were two features I was thinking of adding at the time. One was an ability to export maps in a format amenable to Questimator. This could be as easy as just making a text document with each room of monsters on a separate row, I suspect.

The other thing I wanted to do was have a Quest "generator" - you feed the system a list of rooms of monsters and it produces a Quest map from those instructions. I made one of those at some point in the past, but it requires manually inputting the monsters, rather than being able to randomly generate the rooms. The end goal would be to ask for a Quest with e.g. QSC value of 20 and get a list of rooms with approximately that difficulty, although that would require fully integrating the Questimator and I don't think the cost-benefit ratio on that operation is high enough yet.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » Tuesday March 19th, 2019 9:53am

No it is exactly the thought I am having. Otherwise I would maybe stay with Java.

As I remade your questimator in python, it is kind of obvious to do that!
Currently it takes a list that connects rooms and monsters like our excel sheets of old, a list of monster values and a list of heroes. So that would be an obvious first choice to plug it in. 8-)

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » Tuesday March 19th, 2019 9:59am

Soooo ... when is it done? :lol:

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby StratosVX » Tuesday March 19th, 2019 10:15am

I haven't tried the GUI with Python yet. Funnily enough, I had considered switching HS to Python as well, as I am more familiar with it over Java. I had also planned to do some GUI test runs on both Windows and Mac to see if there were discrepancies when working cross-platform, I just haven't had time to do that yet. If I remember right, tkinter is the library that came up the most when I looked up making a GUI. When summer semester rolls around, maybe I'll have time to look at it or help get it running. At the very least, I'm always happy to do Mac test runs on anything that gets made.

EDIT: Also on thing that drives me nuts (thanks OCD) is that the letter markers are not all the same size. I would like to see a new set of these that are the same size, but are cleaner. If I remember right, when you zoom in on a lot of these, the letter edges are not clean. It's like someone traced an image of the font instead of just using the font in a vector program.

Also, I found this Python GUI FAQ.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Ogre
Ogre

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » Tuesday March 19th, 2019 12:18pm

:greyorb: Translate existing java code
:greyorb: Add quest text maker (output png, pdf, openoffice doc?)
:greyorb: Add Symbol import function
:greyorb: Add better filter functions for the symbols
:greyorb: Add the ability to change symbol colors in Heroscribe
:greyorb: Add high resolution png output
:greyorb: Add ghostscript to the package (so that pdf works always) or find another way to make vector output
:greyorb: Questimator: Add Monster fight values as new monster.xml or to object.xml or as csv table?
:greyorb: Questimator: Add questimator to the GUI
:greyorb: Questimator: Add Hero Group Editor
:greyorb: Questimator: Add Monster fight value editor
:greyorb: Cardmaker: Add Card maker
:greyorb: Boardmaker: life Board painting for Stratos?

Added it. Yes I would welcome help.

There are only a handful classes to do. Most pita will be the board assembly, the gui and the xml reader. The others are pff.
Last edited by Anderas on Tuesday March 19th, 2019 4:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Other Expansion Topics