• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Whitebeard's Projects

Discuss other HeroQuest expansion topics that do not fit into the above categories.

Re: Whitebeard's Projects

Postby KrautScientist » February 8th, 2019, 2:07 pm

That board is absolutely lovely! Fantastic work! :)

Could you maybe post a shot taken at a somewhat lower angle, so we could get a better idea of the surface texture? That would be much appreciated!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
KrautScientist

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Thor-in » February 8th, 2019, 2:33 pm

Hmmm, I know I've seen this Fin-mir before.....But I can't place it... :?:
Wait now I know, :smack: :lol: whitebeard sent one to Rogue Servitor in last years Christmas exchange. I still think that this Fimir is absolutely cool and needs a monster card.

Yes I know you already said that
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » February 9th, 2019, 9:35 pm

KrautScientist wrote:That board is absolutely lovely! Fantastic work! :)

Could you maybe post a shot taken at a somewhat lower angle, so we could get a better idea of the surface texture? That would be much appreciated!

tileCloseUp.jpg

Not a flattering view, as you really don't "see" the discrete layers (which are all too clear here) when you interact with it in person. The tile details and edge lines are deep (too deep for the scale) but excellent for the table top. The board would be easily playable without paint.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » February 10th, 2019, 6:41 am

Your board just makes me jealous. It's really great!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » February 10th, 2019, 7:59 am

I see why you put no dimension on the walls or else you'd have to come up with custom doors.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby KrautScientist » February 10th, 2019, 8:37 am

Oh, don't worry -- that picture is perfect and shows off exactly what I wanted to see! I'm even more in love with your board now! :)

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
KrautScientist

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby j_dean80 » February 10th, 2019, 8:48 am

whitebeard wrote:I crafted this a while back, but one of the River Fimir was for the exchange, so I waited to post it.

I call it River Fimir Raid. And the Fimir can also be called Fin-mir. :D

RiverFimirRaid-1008x490.jpeg

If there is a Quest behind this I think it needs shared.

P.S. what is that tile?
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » February 10th, 2019, 10:46 am

j_dean80 wrote:
whitebeard wrote:I crafted this a while back, but one of the River Fimir was for the exchange, so I waited to post it.

I call it River Fimir Raid. And the Fimir can also be called Fin-mir. :D

RiverFimirRaid-1008x490.jpeg

If there is a Quest behind this I think it needs shared.

P.S. what is that tile?

The idea for the "fin-mir" comes mostly from the GW River Trolls, which are fantastic sculpts. I figured if trolls can have a river variant, then why not do the same for Fimir? drathe was also gifted an amazing modified Fimir a few years back in the X-mas exchange and my false recollection of that guy also influenced my design (I originally thought he was aquatic, but after fishing him out, I seem to be mistaken).

I will use the Fin-mir and all of my fimir in the quest "Quagmire" found here http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3993&p=83591.

The "tile" is my forest board, found here. viewtopic.php?f=58&t=2910 If you want the high resolution, I can post it to google drive for you. The board looks great on the computer, but it does not work well in the gaming room. It needs:

(1) brighter colors
(2) more contrast - the divisions between the "room" areas need a crisp white line. If done well, this could be the moonlight on the bushes/treetops.
(3) And frankly I do not like grid lines on my terrain. With just a little more creativity (and a lot of original art work), the environment features could suggest a grid without being explicit. Square-ish rocks, tangles of roots giving way to bare square patches, differing densities of fallen leaves, patterns in the grass, slight changes in elevation, run-off patterns, areas of shadow, tangles of thorns.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:

Postby Rath of Un » February 11th, 2019, 12:03 am

Wow! those tiles look awesome!

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Rath of Un

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » March 11th, 2019, 8:32 pm

So... I was working on a write-up to convert the DungeonsDark quest "A Knight Errant" to a generic RPG format.

A Knight Errant is the one where you roll for the various rumors about the "Spectral Knight" then you have to decide whether or not to actually buy the equipment the rumor suggests you need. The quest is designed to rob champion players of their gold by making them buy a bunch of overpriced and otherwise useless stuff.

So I created a salesman, Immar. He chases rumors of undead haunts and sells wards and charms to villagers, and weapons and tools to adventurers. When you arrive, he's already taken all the gold the towns people have in exchange for his wards (wards make the village invisible to the undead) and is packing his wagon. You have this one opportunity to buy from him. The high pressure sales tactics are intentional... He wouldn't have it any other way!

This leads to conversations like:

"Well you *could* seal the sarcophagus with a bag of salt from the market (true) but in my experience the salt needs to be from the sea aligned with the deity holding the spirit in un-death (rumor and false). My mixed bag which is guaranteed to work is 50 gold coins."

Everything Immar sells you will work but is otherwise worthless. The silver flakes off the sword after a few uses and is ruined, etc.

He is a retired hunter of the undead, he is imposing and very savvy, you don't want to fight him. If you steal from him you will be cursed until you return the item AND pay double for it. He has a successful but ultimately troubled backstory, at some point he lost all love for the living as well.

So bought the "Abram Duskwalker" miniature from Reaper and converted his hammer to a torch (because that conversion looks AWESOME on their website). Then I crafted his wagon.

Here he is!

GypsyWagon1024.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Other Expansion Topics