• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Whitebeard's Projects

Discuss other HeroQuest expansion topics that do not fit into the above categories.

Re: Whitebeard's Projects

Postby Anderas » September 11th, 2018, 5:34 am

I have a 30 mm board and I removed the overhead stuff. Even if the Heroquest border is beautiful, it just took to much table space.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Daedalus » September 12th, 2018, 3:59 pm

I'd say function over form. Print your board without the border to give your players much needed space. Perhaps you could include the border art on the supporting 2x4s.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » September 25th, 2018, 5:06 pm

Daedalus wrote:I'd say function over form. Print your board without the border to give your players much needed space. Perhaps you could include the border art on the supporting 2x4s.

My son weighed in on this and he wanted the boarder.

I've printed and assembled half of it so far. And here is my progress on painting. No fine details yet, but the top row of rooms are getting close!

board_progress.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Thantos » September 25th, 2018, 6:39 pm

Awesome! Border looks better, your son is right. Would you charge to do us a board too? :P Or would happily buy the STL files :D
http://www.zealotminiatures.com
Models. Plastic Injection. Resin Casting. High Res 3D Printing . Macro 3D Scanning .

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Thantos

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » September 25th, 2018, 11:21 pm

Very beautiful indeed!
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » September 26th, 2018, 12:08 am

Yes this is really awesome! An you are so quick with these kinds of projects!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » September 28th, 2018, 5:12 pm

Thantos wrote:Awesome! Border looks better, your son is right. Would you charge to do us a board too? :P Or would happily buy the STL files :D

I'm not building another one, but you can certainly have the STL files. I will be posting them on Thingiverse when I have the completed product to photograph.

I'm almost done painting the rooms on the first half, and the rest of the board should be completed printing in the next few days. I'm also waiting for some magnets to arrive so that I can see how the two back boards fit together before I glue the tiles down on the second half.

board_progress2.jpg

I am really happy with how well the rooms match the original board (er... rather it matches my more vibrant re-print of what must be a washed out original board?).
However I am having trouble matching the room in the bottom right. My original just looks yellow, but the re-print is more rich and darker and has a gold look to it. My paints are limited but that has not stopped me from matching everything else I wanted to.

How would you paint this bottom Right room?

I brushed a medium brown on top of the black base (which kept it dark in the recesses). Then I applied a mossy green and hit it with a yellow and an off white yellow. Something is missing, though I'm tempted to just leave it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » September 29th, 2018, 12:43 am

The bottom right on the photo?
on my board it is some yellow with a hint of brown. Not smiley-yellow but more ocre yellow.

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » September 29th, 2018, 1:48 am

You're close. For the final step, mix in a tiny dash of black into a yellow base should get you that slight greenish tint the ochre has. It depends on what yellow you have.
If the result is too yellow, mix in a tiny amount of blue and red and then maybe you're gonna have to lighten it up and desaturate it a little by mixing in a tiny amount of white.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » September 29th, 2018, 7:55 am

Anderas wrote:The bottom right on the photo?
on my board it is some yellow with a hint of brown. Not smiley-yellow but more ocre yellow.

yes. I did not think the look at an original board until just yesterday. My recollection was that my re-print was virtually identical, just a little off and I really liked it.

So I did some investigation and pulled the hi-res board scan (cyber333-hq-board = 90Mb) into GIMP to see what had happened. If you crank up the Saturation and move the Lightness on the Yellow channel down a bit, you get something very close to my reference board. It just looks more alive and having seen it this way for a while now, I feel like this is closer to what the original art likely looked like before mass production (well, except for the missing yellow, that is likely from the printer that produced my board).

Here is a rough shot of my target so you can see where I'm headed:
ref_board.jpg

knightkrawler wrote:You're close. For the final step, mix in a tiny dash of black into a yellow base should get you that slight greenish tint the ochre has. It depends on what yellow you have.
If the result is too yellow, mix in a tiny amount of blue and red and then maybe you're gonna have to lighten it up and desaturate it a little by mixing in a tiny amount of white.

Yes, thank you! I will try very soon.

Rewards:
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Other Expansion Topics