• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Whitebeard's Projects

Discuss other HeroQuest expansion topics that do not fit into the above categories.

Re: Whitebeard's Projects - Chaos Wheel

Postby whitebeard » June 20th, 2018, 10:08 pm

My recent projects don't all involve the new 3D printer. In March I began torturing my Mantic skeletons... I bought the Mantic Undead Army box because it was the cheapest way to get the Mummies AND Zombies. I love the mummies who look like mummified warriors of the crusades, and as such as are quite different. The skeletons are pretty crappy so I don't feel bad about chopping them up, re-positioning them, and using them as scenery rather than individual figures.

In March I posted a skeleton in a Crow Cage to the TableTop Crafter's Guild Build competition (must use paperclips), and posted it on the Inn here: http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1446&start=2192

April's competition was to use egg cartons and my imagination failed me and nothing inspired me to action. But May was to use one or more plastic lids (or caps)... So I made this Chaos Wheel.

bust_a_deal.jpg

And the view from the top shows more of the details but is a crappy photo. They only accept one photo and I stopped shooting once I had it.
top.jpg

The design draws inspiration from this image I found via a Google images search.

Torture-Wheel.jpg

Those Mantic skeletons had it coming! |_P

The model is a ~2 liter apple juice bottle cap with a center drilled hole mounted to a bolt by cinching it between two nuts. Then I cut out the spoke Pattern with a knife. I mounted it to a crappy Mantic base (which already has a deep round hole in it to sink the head of the bolt) and filled in the edges and threads with Milliput. Then I glued on a Mantic skeleton spear tip to each spoke end, straightened a few skeletons out to make them look like they are hanging and bashed some other parts on there. The hanging rib cage is actually just ~20 gauge wire finished with a milliput spine.

I imagine the forces of Chaos leaving similar structures in the wake of their invasions. Unfortunately I thought of the relationship to the GW Chaos Emblem too late and my number of spokes is wrong.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Whitebeard's Projects

Postby Daedalus » June 20th, 2018, 11:36 pm

Your son of Frankenstein is lucky to share a lab with such a talented modeler.

I wouldn't be concerned over the number of spokes as six works imaginatively as an "evil" power number. Let us know when voting starts.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Anderas » June 21st, 2018, 12:23 am

Good to hear you found a new job in your company. Sometimes it is the only thing we can do is find something entirely new. Your robotics job sounds interesting all right.

Same for me, after finding something new my motivation got up on work and at home both. Now I am doing again stuff.

Your knight looks awesome. The quality is good enough as it seems, and your painting is great!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » June 21st, 2018, 1:50 am

I also was promoted last November. I haven't painted a mini or crafted anything since the X-Mas exchange. I guess I'm on a painting hiatus and I hope it's got nothing to do with the new job. At least I write a lot for the new version of HQ - Heroes & Villains.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » June 21st, 2018, 8:00 am

Daedalus wrote:Your son of Frankenstein is lucky to share a lab with such a talented modeler.

I wouldn't be concerned over the number of spokes as six works imaginatively as an "evil" power number. Let us know when voting starts.

I built the model to share it, I'm glad you guys like it. I think voting is closed already.

I titled the entry "Bust a Deal..."

My take on the guild builds is that the required material should:
1 significantly accelerate the build.
2 appear in the model in its raw form... the details of the part enhance the design.
3 maximize the % of the model which is those parts.
4 use it for some thing imaginative (be a unique entry)

Since I am 2 for 2 on making the finals, at least one or two of the Guild Masters are of the same opinion.

There are amazing artists entering the competition, I'm not going to win. But it is cool to see my designs selected and appearing beside them. |_P

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:

Postby Sparkymark » June 23rd, 2018, 4:33 am

I love both the Knight and Chaos wheel. Everyone has their own painting style and yours works well for you. Well done.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Sparkymark

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Whitebeard's Projects - Card Boxes

Postby whitebeard » June 26th, 2018, 10:11 pm

I really needed card boxes, so I drew this up in TinkerCAD.
CardBoxRender.jpg

I made the mistake of sanding of the top of one of them and I needed to paint it.

painted.jpg

I also printed a first design without a lid and logos on the side. The cards fit well, but I felt I needed thicker walls and a lid, so I use it as a dice box. The side logos on the dice box cause the slicing software to choose very odd paths for the print head and thus take a really long time to print. So I moved the logos to the new lid and there I was able to invert the effect to match the dice.

The stack of cards contained in one of the boxes is all of the North American cards (base set) plus a second copy of the spell cards. The second box is my print of my custom artifact cards, re-prints, and doubles of many more. These boxes are also perfectly sized to fit in the small drawers of my HeroChest.

drawer.jpg

:dwarf: |_P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » June 26th, 2018, 10:38 pm

Now I wonder if you can 3d print a sturdy HQ chest that is lighter weight than the wood.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Thantos » June 27th, 2018, 4:15 am

Really great results! And especially for an FDM printer! Amazing how far the FDM machines have come, I picked up an ultimaker 2 for £1.5k about 3 years ago and i dont think the results are as detailed as this model, on your $200 machine!
Spot on! :D
http://www.zealotminiatures.com
Models. Plastic Injection. Resin Casting. High Res 3D Printing . Macro 3D Scanning .

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Thantos

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby TMU » June 27th, 2018, 10:43 am

I like it! Very nice and simple, both effective and beautiful!
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Other Expansion Topics