• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Henchmen

Discuss other HeroQuest expansion topics that do not fit into the above categories.

Re: Henchmen

Postby The Admiral » April 18th, 2016, 12:40 pm

Gold Bearer wrote:Incidentally the US mercenaries prove that ranged weapons can't be used against diagonally adjacent targets or US halberdiers would be pointless.

I agree. I have finally come round to not allowing ranged weapons to attack the immediate diagonal. If they can, then the crossbowman has all the stats and abilities of a Halberdier, plus the ability to attack at range, for the same cost in gold. What would be the point of ever hirering a Halberdier?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Count Mohawk » April 18th, 2016, 3:19 pm

The Admiral wrote:I agree. I have finally come round to not allowing ranged weapons to attack the immediate diagonal. If they can, then the crossbowman has all the stats and abilities of a Halberdier, plus the ability to attack at range, for the same cost in gold. What would be the point of ever hiring a Halberdier?

It's not that Halberdiers are bad so much as that Crossbowmen are so much better. I had this same discussion with slev a few weeks ago, actually, and the suggestion I gave him to help equalize the two a bit more was to bump the Halberdier up to 7 Move (from 6). You could also bump the Crossbowman's Defense down to 2 (from 3), or if you have colored dice, improve the Halberdier's attack roll to BWW (one Black two White).

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » April 18th, 2016, 3:36 pm

Count Mohawk wrote:
The Admiral wrote:I agree. I have finally come round to not allowing ranged weapons to attack the immediate diagonal. If they can, then the crossbowman has all the stats and abilities of a Halberdier, plus the ability to attack at range, for the same cost in gold. What would be the point of ever hiring a Halberdier?

It's not that Halberdiers are bad so much as that Crossbowmen are so much better. I had this same discussion with slev a few weeks ago, actually, and the suggestion I gave him to help equalize the two a bit more was to bump the Halberdier up to 7 Move (from 6). You could also bump the Crossbowman's Defense down to 2 (from 3), or if you have colored dice, improve the Halberdier's attack roll to BWW (one Black two White).

Or cost him at 100gc, which was my previous solution. But I just think the whole concept of diagonal attack weapons is devalued by the ability of ranged weapons to match their ability. Hence my core change. I know what the rules say, so this has been a long angst for me, but there it is.

I think what finally did it for me was reference to AHQ.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » April 18th, 2016, 4:47 pm

and my fix would be to just give the Halberdier an extra Body Point
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » April 19th, 2016, 3:48 am

Admiral, I agree with you and Gold Bearer that allowing a Crossbowman the same diagonal attack as a Halberdier is broken. I use rule interpretation to handle the problem.

In short, only a Halberdier is allowed to attack diagonally between two squares that block line of sight. Note that a square on the other side of an intervening wall that ends at a doorway is blocked. The light-gray lines represent walls containing an open doorway:

|    |    |    |
|    |O|    |
|H| B|    |

In contrast, a Crossbowman is allowed to attack diagonally in an opponent's corner square if only one of the squares adjacent to the opponent and Crossbowman isn't blocked. So he couldn't attack from the Halberdier's postion above, because the adjacent square in common with the Crossbowman and Orc is blocked by the Barbarian. The Crossbowman may shoot the Orc in the diagram below, using standard line-of-sight rules:

|    |    |    |
|    |O|    |
|C|    |    |

The result of this difference in ability means a Halberdier can safely attack from a diagonal space turn after turn, but a Crossbowman will likely get only one unmolested shot from his open position. You can check out this post and this post for a more detailed explanation if you're interested.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » April 19th, 2016, 5:13 am

The Admiral wrote:I just think the whole concept of diagonal attack weapons is devalued by the ability of ranged weapons to match their ability. Hence my core change. I know what the rules say, so this has been a long angst for me, but there it is.

I ruled the same thing.
One of the more complicated things to think about and word correctly when writing my rulebook and icon key.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby slev » April 19th, 2016, 8:48 am

knightkrawler wrote:
The Admiral wrote:I just think the whole concept of diagonal attack weapons is devalued by the ability of ranged weapons to match their ability. Hence my core change. I know what the rules say, so this has been a long angst for me, but there it is.

I ruled the same thing.
One of the more complicated things to think about and word correctly when writing my rulebook and icon key.

I also did the same thing!

The Admiral wrote:
Count Mohawk wrote:

Or cost him at 100gc, which was my previous solution.

This is an option, but in context, I was trying to make the Men-at-Arms (to use the UK term) all cost the same. At least teh "official" four anyway.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Other Expansion Topics