• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Heroscribe Icons

Discuss other HeroQuest expansion topics that do not fit into the above categories.

Heroscribe Icons

Postby clmckay » August 16th, 2015, 4:55 pm

I'm taking a shot in the dark here, are there any other sources of icons for Heroscribe out there, other than the "All-in-one" pack?

I tried my hand at making an icon and nearly shot myself 3 days later. Not cool for me. I can't draw to save my life to begin with, then trying to get it made was horrid (and it looks like utter crap), then finally getting it into Heroscribe took patience and trial and error to the max (and it still isn't right).

The most recent pack update for Heroscribe is quite aged, so I was hoping someone knew of icons floating around that aren't in the pack that may have useable items in them?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Heroscribe Icons

Postby whitebeard » August 16th, 2015, 5:08 pm

I don't know about more add-ons. But usually you need additional minis, furniture, or tiles to work with any new icons… Just about everything in the expansions is already in the standard distribution, so what were you looking for?

If you have a sketch of the icon you want, it is a simple matter to get it in SVG format… Use Inkscape, scan it, zoom way the hell in and use the pencil tool to trace it. Zoom out then hit CTRL-L one or more times to smooth it further.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby clmckay » August 16th, 2015, 5:16 pm

Inkscape is what I was attempting in. But, I was trying to convert it into EPS format, like what I saw in the Heroscribe folders. I also used the FAQ on Heroscribe as a guide, but.....it was beyond me, I couldn't get much out of it.

I've got a ton of extras that I wanted to add in gradually. It's generally not a big deal for my homemade stuff, I can figure out what I mean - for example: one quest has a Chaos Beast. I used the "Chaos Spawn" icon, but my model is 2x2 not 1x1, so I just put it into the map with 4 icons to show the footprint. However, if I put that map up here somewhere it'd confuse the heck out of everybody. So really, it's more for public consumption than what I use in my games...

Another thing I tried to make was a 1x2 bed, the one in Heroscribe is 2x2...I got it made by stretching and messing with the icon in INkscape (EPS), but after fiddling with getting it into Heroscape (I finally just overrode an existing icon) it shows up, but not aligned.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:

Postby whitebeard » August 16th, 2015, 10:26 pm

I was just using InkScape today to trace the quest notes parchment boarder and that came out great. My issue is getting the actual parchment texture without using raster… I'm pretty much there, but don't hold your breath. And I promise it won't work on Macs unless you use a compliant PDF viewer.

Anyways, I export to PDF from InkScape and that has always worked for me. EPS should work the same. I seem to recall that EPS has an editable Bounding Box (you might want to google that). Perhaps positioning this properly with an auto-crop tool will fix your issue? There may be a command line tool to do this automatically for you.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby clmckay » August 20th, 2015, 8:00 pm

Hi,

I was able to edit an existing icon into what I wanted (small change to an existing one). Then I copy and pasted it directly into HeroScribes EPS output.

That's a bit clunky, but it works in a pinch.

Any chance anyone here can give pointers on getting this icon (and more) setup so HeroScribe recognizes it?

I've tried editing the XML but I'm doing something wrong as I can't get it to show up in the category. As a side note, I can get a category created, just can't get the icon to show up there.

Also....the current icons are gzip'ed. Is that really necessary? I've tried both way with no success, but can't help but wonder if I'm....gzip'ing(?) wrong.

Rewards:
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:

Postby StratosVX » August 20th, 2015, 8:52 pm

Try contacting Defel Link. It may take some time, but he can probably get them into an icon pack for you. Or at least give you some pointers.

Whitebeard, is there any way I could get that border we discussed as an eps file instead of pdf?

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member