• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Home Made Board

Discuss other HeroQuest expansion topics that do not fit into the above categories.

Home Made Board

Postby MadMickyG » February 27th, 2015, 5:54 pm

Okay, my wife mentioned my possible obsession with HQ, as I was always scouring ebay trying t find a copy of the game.

I did eventually get one, as you may know.
But......before that, I was creating a HQ style game to use with all the Skylander figures we had. We even managed to play a few maps, going through various elements to try and capture an item that would improve our abilities for the next quest.
Kids enjoyed it, using their favourite Skylander in an adventure.

Now that we have HQ, I no longer need the board I created (and never actually used, as we played a similar map style to AHQ, drawn on pizza boxes, biscuit containers etc.)

Here is a picture of the board I made, from the box of a 40" LCD TV. It was as close to a HQ board as I could get, designed to fit all the Skylander types, including giants, on the board.

I have ruled through the board squares, cutting each square in to quarters. This makes it more suitable for HQ.
However, I am thinking, as I have two game boards, that I will spray it green to make it an outdoor area, which leads up to either one or both boards.
To give you an idea of the actual size, I placed both my game boards on the home made board.

I am also concocting a way to have an all out war type scenario on this map. Or putting toy trees on here, so our 3 rangers have things to hide behind.
Any thoughts/opinions or other ideas for this board.
Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, never know which place to put things. :)
Check out my dabblings in writing.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Madhouse ... 4179561807
Feel free to let me know what you think. All comments/criticisms welcome.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
MadMickyG

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Home Made Board

Postby Rook » February 27th, 2015, 8:50 pm

That looks really neat! I can remember doing stuff like that with my dad when I was a kid (Granted it was for mapping out video games on our Commodore 64 and reading Fighting Fantasy novels, but the idea is similar), and I can't wait to do it with my son!

Here's to many more adventures |_P

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Rook
A dense collection of housing

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » March 2nd, 2015, 12:10 pm

Skylanders... Interestingly enough, also battling the forces of KAOS!!!
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:

Postby MadMickyG » March 2nd, 2015, 5:30 pm

I just wish I had an actual figure of Kaos. The kids were very creative in how they played their characters. And as there are 8 elements in that game (10 now with Light and Dark elements) I had a spell collection for each element.
The cards I made were to small to print normal size. I just had a page with all the spells on them.

Even came up with a couple of good spells, Strength in Numbers and United We Stand.
Usually cast at the start of the quest for each, it gave 1 Combat Die bonus to Attack (Strength) or Defense (United) for each player in the same room.
We now use them as standard rules when fighting monsters. The monsters also receive the bonus. This promotes teamwork, as it boosts your attack when you work in a group. Also gives the kids some fun when they play as the evil wizard.
My son is particularly nasty when he gets to be evil. :)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
MadMickyG

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby MadMickyG » March 18th, 2015, 3:09 am

Painted it green, massive out door area.

Put an army with an Orc General, 2 Chaos Warrior lieutenants, 2 Chaos Goblins, 4 Orc archers, 4 Fimirs with a load of Goblins and Orcs to finish out the army.

Need some toy trees to make it better, but said we were in the dark. Sentries posted. The 3 Rangers moved in. Managed to kill everything before it got to us, but it was close.

Need cover for both sides to maneuver behind to make it interesting. But the two kids that played enjoyed it. Would be a different game if we weren't using Rangers, that's for sure.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
MadMickyG

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby MadMickyG » March 21st, 2015, 3:19 am

Images\viewpoint of how we used the board.
Was doing a outside to inside quest, but didnt get to finish. Had the outdoor leading to the two boards as a town.
Rescuing townspeople, as the men were being turned to chaos warriors by a sorcerer. Was going to possibly throw in the Demon Warrior I made (viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2885)

Here is the Attack the Maruading Horde set up we did last weekend.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
MadMickyG

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » July 31st, 2015, 6:46 pm

This reminds me of DM Scotty's cardboard terrain. Maybe you can use some of his techniques for elevation and trees.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to Other Expansion Topics