• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HQ Card Game (Another one)

Discuss other HeroQuest expansion topics that do not fit into the above categories.

HQ Card Game (Another one)

Postby Redav » January 13th, 2014, 8:19 am

So the thought crossed my mind whether a variation of HQ could exist as a card game. I got thinking and then I got searching and then I found that torilen had had a go already and funnily enough, it's kinda similar to what I'd been thinking (not surprising really). So I figured I'd post it anyway. I haven't done anything more than thinking about the mechanic but it doesn't require a Morcar / Zargon player and you could play as one player

You need cards, several combat dice, pencil and paper

Preparation
• shuffle Corridor cards
• shuffle Treasure cards
• shuffle Room cards
- take three cards for the top of the stack
- take three cards for the bottom of the stack. Include the Exit card and shuffle
- roll combat dice to determine the number of challenging rooms. Black shield = 1, Skull = 2,White shield = 3. Add the cards to the remaining cards and shuffle. This becomes the middle of the stack
- combine top to bottom.

Game Play
The goal is to reach the Exit card in the Room card stack (basically this makes it a dungeon crawl). The Party is as per HQ rules and moves by drawing Corridor and Room cards as directed

To start roll a combat to decided if you start in a Room or Corridor (White shield = room) and draw the first card. Resolve the card and take the next card it indicates

Corridor Cards
Describe movement along corridors, events and when you arrive at a room. Corridor cards include; empty corridors, traps, secret passages. Event cards include; doors, monsters, progress cards (increase or decrease the number of Room cards remaining). They are shuffled and restarted if the stack is exhausted

Room Cards
Describe their content, monsters, events, search results and what to draw next

Combat
Combat is as per HQ combat rules and uses HQ monsters. Players take turns to attack. If monsters still exist after all the players attack, you pick a random monster by shuffling monster cards and pick a random hero to be attacked and resolve combat. Heroes may cast spells instead of attacking. Using potions doesn't constitute their action

Searching
In rooms when monsters aren't present, you may search for secret passages or treasure. Room cards identify the search results (i.e. nothing, specified treasure, draw a treasure card). Treasure Cards and Quest Treasures are as per HQ.

Quests
Quest Cards can be added to give an explanation for the quest and are used in the room cards deck to include the goal

Thoughts?
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: HQ Card Game (Another one)

Postby Big Bene » January 13th, 2014, 11:35 am

Didn't read thorugh Torilen's thread, so perhaps some ideas aren't new.

-Depending on how long you want to play, you may keep the exit card separate and stick it randomly between the other room cards (after shuffling them) in the lower or upper half.
- Room and corridor cards may produce more variants if you use different cards for different features - e. g. every card could have a room size (or corridor length), a number of exits, a number of monsters, furniture and traps. Entering a new section, you draw a card that gives the size/lenght, another one that gives the number of exits, the next one gives the monsters etc.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Return to Other Expansion Topics