• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Those Colored German Dice

Discuss other HeroQuest expansion topics that do not fit into the above categories.

Re: Those Colored German Dice

Postby lestodante » February 5th, 2021, 5:49 pm

Can you post pic of both dice, German ones and Etsy ones?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » February 5th, 2021, 5:58 pm

Yeah, the German dice guy is like a part of our HQ family, no diss on him because of the pandemic restrictions. I already have a ton of his dice, I ordered these more as a gift for some family members. They don't know it's coming, so it's okay if it takes longer. Basically they're blank dice with paint hand stamped icons on. I've also seen dice that use decals. Then you can get them printed on (as the ones I showed from BGM). There are inscribed ones advertised a few places but quite expensive. I've also seen 3d printed ones (but they're not custom faces).

I saw the etsy ads for custom dice. The inscribed wooden custom ones are intriguing, I'd be interested in pics too when you get a chance!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » February 5th, 2021, 8:12 pm

Kurgan wrote:Basically they're blank dice with paint hand stamped icons on

Are you talking about the German dice? I thought hey were professionally produced :o

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » February 5th, 2021, 10:02 pm

lestodante wrote:
Kurgan wrote:Basically they're blank dice with paint hand stamped icons on

Are you talking about the German dice? I thought hey were professionally produced :o

The one's I've purchased seem to be hand made, and I heard that somewhere. I know you can buy blank dice from a lot of sources in a variety of colors. I presume he made his own stamps. Define "professionally" I guess...
Most of these operations are small time.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby BStewart80 » February 6th, 2021, 4:38 pm

Here is a picture of the dice from Etsy and Spielwaren Saloon. Honestly, I can barely tell a difference so they are all together. However, I am posting the link to the vendor, but it doesn't appear that it is selling at this time. The vendor was okay as far as quality, but communication was terrible and slow. The only difference was that I order the Etsy dice after the German dice and received the the Etsy dice a month and a half in advance.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/FreebootersChest

If you are seeking to use a separate vendor than Spielwaren Saloon, you can obtain the images of the dice here and work with whomever.

http://zenseeker.net/BoardGames/BoardGa ... table_Dice

Also, the 3-d files can be found on thingverse for printing or if you find another vendor.

https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=He ... t=relevant
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BStewart80

Orc
Orc

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » February 8th, 2021, 6:52 am

The problem I had with the German dice is that after a few months, the "glossy finish" dice (he used this for the white and also the earlier black dice and I believe the yellow and orange dice too)... the ink or paint on them started to become gummy or tacky (thus lint would stick to them) and I could even rub them with my finger and it would start to come off. This wasn't good, and even using liquid soap to remove any "oil" didn't stop the process. So I believe I even sent out a suggestion that he should either switch to the matte plastic (used in some other dice he sold) or put a varnish layer over the "label' to protect it (I did this with mine to prevent any further damage). The "matte finish" plastic dice don't seem to have this problem (I have green, blue, black, purple). They look just as good as the day I got them. And yes, the white dice get used the most, but still, they shouldn't start gumming up like that. Ideally all dice would be inscribed not just painted, but I can understand the costs involved make it more difficult and less affordable.

It almost looks like in the above picture that there is a "varnish" layer over the images, or it almost looks like a textured print (similar to BGM does with their dice). A few better photos would be needed to be sure.

Whatever the materials used, the glossy dice, while they look awesome, just have a problem with whatever paint/ink the Saloon dice guy is using.

Other types of dice are going to look noticeably different, for example the 3d Printed plastic or resin dice often featured on etsy, or the inscribed wooden dice also sold there, or the inscribed dice advertised on various other places.

I have some 3D printed replicas of the original dice. They have noticeable imperfections not present in the originals (that tend to get dinged up over time anyway). I also have replica wooden dice that are slightly smaller than the originals (painted inscribed wood). I've also seen plastic dice that just have little transparent decals applied to the faces (while they don't look as cool, they're more durable than the painted ones!).

I guess there's a little something for everyone out there, but I like to support the Saloon guy (not sure if he wants his real name out there) and if he has improved his product then that is GOOD NEWS! And I look forward to the day when my order will finally arrive amidst all these understandable delays...
Last edited by Kurgan on February 8th, 2021, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » February 8th, 2021, 7:10 am

I placed an order December 12th and still waiting. I know last time I ordered from him, I had to message him that I never got them and then all of a sudden a couple weeks later they showed up (don’t think he ever shipped them the first time).
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby BStewart80 » February 8th, 2021, 12:22 pm

Gotta be honest. The dice I have are pretty good from both vendors. No complaints accept for communication. I would recommend either vendor based on quality but will still stay Spielwaren Saloon is first because of the different colors and designs. The Etsy vendor required a lot of specs but Spielwaren already has them so major leg up for me. All of the dice I have are holding up well and are far superior to the original wood dice that chipped and suffered color loss almost after one or two plays.

I really want to play the game and have the dice hold up. I don't like missing dice or quality diminishing. So far, very happy with what I have. FYI, I have two sets of white (one set from each vendor), two sets of orange (one from each vendor) and green, blue, purple, black and yellow totaling 54 dice, not counting the movement dice. (which I have 6 marbled color dice that I use).

All players are quite impressed and (maybe a little concerned, ;b ) with the effort that I have put in this game.
BStewart80

Orc
Orc

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » February 8th, 2021, 1:42 pm

If you have the plastic dice from Spielwaren Saloon, are they the matte finish type or the glossy type?

by the way, I just got an email from him asking if I had received my package yet (I have yet to receive today's mail, so I'll reply back with the results).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby BStewart80 » February 9th, 2021, 12:11 pm

The varnish on both dice sets are glossy, but mild. It's not overbearing.
BStewart80

Orc
Orc

Hero:

PreviousNext

Return to Other Expansion Topics