• Advertisement
HeroGM Advanced Soundboard

Dive into the dimension of dynamic sound with Hero GM!
Free version available! Save 10% on full version with offer code "yeoldeinn"

Those Colored German Dice

Discuss other HeroQuest expansion topics that do not fit into the above categories.

Re: Those Colored German Dice

Postby lestodante » Wednesday August 28th, 2019 8:53am

I am not sure you calculated them correctly, for example rolling 2 original combat dice the probability to obtain 2 skulls is 50%, not 25%;
On 3 black dice the probability to get a result of 3 skulls is 4/6 for each die so it should be 12/18 = 66%.
I am not sure if we are doing the same calculation, but anyway I agree that I need only 3 or 4 for each type and not even all types.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby arch8ngel » Wednesday August 28th, 2019 9:30am

lestodante wrote:I am not sure you calculated them correctly, for example rolling 2 original combat dice the probability to obtain 2 skulls is 50%, not 25%;
On 3 black dice the probability to get a result of 3 skulls is 4/6 for each die so it should be 12/18 = 66%.
I am not sure if we are doing the same calculation, but anyway I agree that I need only 3 or 4 for each type and not even all types.

His calculations are correct.

For 2 skulls on 2 dice the math looks like this:

1 die -- skulls 3 out of 6 faces = 1/2 = 50% probability

It gets slightly less intuitive once you start looking at outcomes involving multiples.

Probability = Number of desired outcomes / Number of possible outcomes

With 2 dice, there are 36 possible outcomes (i.e. 6 faces on each die -- 6*6 = a grid of 36 ways the rolls can match up)

There are 3 ways of each die to generate a skull -- providing 9 possible rolls that match two skulls.

The hypothetical grid looks like this

Die 1 --- Skull -- Skull -- Skull -- B Sh -- W Sh -- W Sh
Die 2
Skull X X X
Skull X X X
Skull X X X
BSh
WSh
WSh

So you can see that there are only 9 out of 36 possible roll combinations that give "2 skulls".

In direct calculation it looks like this:

Probability of the same outcome on 2 dice = (Probability of outcome on die 1) * (Probability of outcome on die 2)
or simply
1/4 = (1/2)*(1/2)

This is similarly why rolling 2 dice with 50% probability of an outcome doesn't just add together to give you 100% chance of 1 skull.
Instead if you look at the grid, you will see 9 ways that you DON'T get a skull (i.e. double shields of some kind).

That math looks like this:

Probability of outcome = 1 - (Probability of NOT outcome)
or
3/4 = 1 - (1/2)*(1/2) = 1 - 1/4
arch8ngel

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:

Postby ShadowHawk » Wednesday August 28th, 2019 1:12pm

lestodante wrote:I am not sure you calculated them correctly, for example rolling 2 original combat dice the probability to obtain 2 skulls is 50%, not 25%;

I just edited the post as I realized I was missing "or more Skulls" for anything less than the max result. This is why the numbers don't reflect a bell curve but instead show a exponential curve.

As to 3 black dice the probability to get a result of 3 skulls is 4^3/6^3 = 64/216 = 8/27 (29.6%) You multiply, not add, to produce every combination.
ShadowHawk

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby lestodante » Wednesday August 28th, 2019 7:31pm

Thanks for the explanation, but I guess I need the Talismane of Lore to understand this better...!

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » Thursday August 29th, 2019 5:01am

Nice discussion starting here.

In fact I am calculating this in life, each time, for each monster, when I start the Questimator. I should really find a way to publish it in a nice looking way.

For Heroquest, by the way, also the probs for Master and Guardian defense is interesting. :P

Or the difference if you attack with yellow instead white dice. :lol:

And displaying the results not as list of numbers but as YeOldeInn Smileys. :lol:

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » Sunday September 1st, 2019 12:07pm

You could of course try my Excel sheet, which has some macro code (which can be inspected, there's no password on it) to calculate it - and you can add up to 10 dice of any kind combined to determine the various odds.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby ShadowHawk » Sunday September 1st, 2019 5:20pm

The math is not that complicated, but you need to think it through (and possibly draw it out to wrap your head around it).

If you have 4 dice, 3 being white (3 sides with skulls) and 1 being black (4 sides with skulls), you can calculate what you need if you think it through a little bit.

For a result of 3 skulls or more, you have the following:

3 (1st die skull sides) x 3 (2nd) x 3 (3rd) x 4 (4th, blk die) = 108 This is the total possibility of 4 skulls being rolled
+ 3 x 3 x 3 x 2 (non-skull sides on the blk die) = 108 + 54 = 162 This is the total possibility of 3 skulls being rolled if the blk die fails to have a skull result
+ 3 x 3 x 3 (non-skull sides on the wht die) x 4 = 162 + 108 = 270 This is the total possiblity of 3 skulls being rolled if the 3rd white die fails to have a skull result
+ 3 x 3 (non-skull sides on the wht die) x 3 x 4 = 270 + 108 = 378 2nd white die fails to have a skull result
+ 3 (non-skull sides on the wht die) x 3 x 3 x 4 = 378 + 108 = 486 1st white die fails to have a skull result

And divide that total by the total possible sides available for a roll, which with 4d6 = 6^4 = 1296
486/1296 = 31/81 = 38.27%

Adjust accordingly to other dice. Hope that helps.
ShadowHawk

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Previous

Return to Other Expansion Topics