• Advertisement

Those Colored German Dice

Discuss other HeroQuest expansion topics that do not fit into the above categories.

Re: Those Colored German Dice

Postby knightkrawler » Wednesday April 3rd, 2013 9:09am

el_flesh wrote:And it seems u have SEVEN rows of dice instead of six!...

The pink ones are newer than the others and are advertised as girl player dice. The symbol distribution is the same as the original white dice.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby AerynB » Thursday April 4th, 2013 1:47am

Ethica wrote:Does Torilen see that the different coloured dice have different pictures on them?

I suspect that the guy who's made the dice has revised the distributions for a good reason. If you do calculations on both sets maybe a reasoning might become clear.

Unfortunately, I deleted my excel spreadsheet for the odds of rollings skulls, white shields, and black shields with up to 3 purple or orange dice when I saw the face distribution had changed. I plugged in the new face distribution, so I can't compare. The biggest change, in my opinion, was on the orange dice, replacing a Skull face with a Double White Shield face. The chance of rolling at least 1 Skull used to be 50%, now it's one-third. Then again, the chance of rolling at least 1 White Shield used to be one-sixth, now it's better at 1 in 3. I may try redoing my calculations to see how big the changes are affected when you roll more dice.

knightkrawler wrote:Does anyone here any rules for the different dice?
Just curious, cause most of the Germans owning the dice play a specific ruleset.

I read something on some other HQ forum... Old Scratch's maybe? I can't remember. I wonder if I still have it bookmarked.

Goblin-King wrote:I think it's a damn shame the colors aren't brighter on the dice, and the drawings BLACK! It looks crazy with those white logos.
See how well it looks on the pink dice? Why didn't they make them all like that?

Also, are these light wooden dice or heavy plastic?

I admit, the pink dice look much better with black pictures. I believe all the dice would look better that way as well. Maybe I'll take a fine-tip black permanent marker and try to color the white in. And the dice are heavy plastic, like dice from other games like Monopoly and Yahtzee, etc., not like the HQ light wooden ones.

knightkrawler wrote:I also don't like the color choices.
One of the reasons I don't even consider incorporating them.

I don't think my phone captured the exact colors very well. They're mucher darker in person. I'd probably choose yellow over orange, but then that wouldn't have worked with their choice of using the negative of the traditional HQ dice images. Oh well, maybe I can make my own versions of the dice with the previous face distributions. LOL! Now I have another HQ project on my plate.

el_flesh wrote:Sure make for interesting rolls though. Assigning diff set to diff hero/monster looks pretty cool to me!
And it seems u have SEVEN rows of dice instead of six!...

That's what I'm thinking. :) Maybe tough monsters get to roll black dice, and villains get to roll orange or purple. I've heard someone proposing that traps or poisons or something might make a Hero roll blue dice for defense. There's a million different ways these could be used. And heck, I'm a girl who likes rainbows. ;)

Thanks, everybody, for your comments. :) I think I'll try to use stickers to make my own yellow and red dice with the original distributions. I'd like the possibility of rolling 5 Skulls on 3 dice even if it's a long shot (1/216 or about half of one percent).
EDIT: Nope, that's wrong. The odds of rolling exactly 5 Skulls on 3 orange dice is better than 1/216. :smack: I really wish I hadn't deleted that spreadsheet. *thinking* It's probably more like 12/216. And the odds of rolling 6 Skulls on 3 orange dice (in the original distribution) was 8/216, I think.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Princess
AerynB
Resident Editor

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:

Postby Sinned » Thursday April 4th, 2013 3:05am

Where did you buy these dice?
Visit my site Star Wars Interviews (with over 160 unique interviews I've had with Star Wars cast & crew members)!
ImageImage
...and StarWarsAwakens.nl: the Dutch Star Wars community!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters.
Sinned

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Ethica » Thursday April 4th, 2013 9:46am

AerynB wrote:
Just curious, cause most of the Germans owning the dice play a specific ruleset.

I read something on some other HQ forum... Old Scratch's maybe? I can't remember. I wonder if I still have it bookmarked.

This thread?
http://oldscratch.smackwell.com/cgi-bin ... 1197966356

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby AerynB » Friday April 5th, 2013 9:04am

Sinned wrote:Where did you buy these dice?

http://www.shopping-guru.de/index.php?m ... Path=94_98

And Google Translate was a big help for me. ;)

Ethica wrote:
AerynB wrote:

This thread?
http://oldscratch.smackwell.com/cgi-bin ... 1197966356

That's the one! :D
It's old, and there's 4 pages to sift through, but there's some good ideas there. Definitely worth checking out. :)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Princess
AerynB
Resident Editor

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Usergroups:

Postby Sinned » Friday April 5th, 2013 11:59am

AerynB wrote:

Thnx. I thought emails to that site don't get answered?
Visit my site Star Wars Interviews (with over 160 unique interviews I've had with Star Wars cast & crew members)!
ImageImage
...and StarWarsAwakens.nl: the Dutch Star Wars community!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters.
Sinned

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Malcadon » Saturday April 6th, 2013 8:49am

They are a neat dice set. Shame they are no longer available. I would figure that implementing them might get confusing for some players.

Looking at what they give you under the normal HQ rules, I came-up with these nicknames:
  • White (or Pink) Die = Basic (Hero/Monster)
  • Blue Die = Tough (Monster)
  • Green Die = Pacifist (Hero)
  • Black Die = Berserker (Hero/Monster)
  • Purple Die = Champion (Hero)
  • Orange Die = Hard-ass (Monster)

The names give a basic description on how best to use these dice. Green "Pacifist" dice would not do much for a monster, save to Nurf it's attack (ideally used for weak or disarmed monsters). If the purple "Champion" dice would be something an experienced Hero would use after completing a bunch of quests, then the orange "Hard-ass" dice would be the be the experienced Hero's equivalent of the black "Berserker" dice: a die used for high-offense, but with a lowered defense. The "Berserker" dice would be useful for players who would want to give the Barbarian a berserk attack option for added flavor, or otherwise play a Dwarven Trollslayer. Personally, I would have made that die red, and the orange die black.

What do you guys think?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Malcadon

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby AerynB » Saturday April 6th, 2013 9:43am

Sinned wrote:
AerynB wrote:

Thnx. I thought emails to that site don't get answered?

Well, they weren't being answered early last year. But in late July I got a reply from the seller. I wasn't that interested at the time, but I checked again a few weeks ago and that's when I bought my dice. I sent money through Paypal on March 18 and my order arrived on March 30. So yes, they are answering emails and the site is running.

Malcadon wrote:They are a neat dice set. Shame they are no longer available. I would figure that implementing them might get confusing for some players.

Looking at what they give you under the normal HQ rules, I came-up with these nicknames:
•White (or Pink) Die = Basic (Hero/Monster)
•Blue Die = Tough (Monster)
•Green Die = Pacifist (Hero)
•Black Die = Berserker (Hero/Monster)
•Purple Die = Champion (Hero)
•Orange Die = Hard-ass (Monster)

The names give a basic description on how best to use these dice. Green "Pacifist" dice would not do much for a monster, save to Nurf it's attack (ideally used for weak or disarmed monsters). If the purple "Champion" dice would be something an experienced Hero would use after completing a bunch of quests, then the orange "Hard-ass" dice would be the be the experienced Hero's equivalent of the black "Berserker" dice: a die used for high-offense, but with a lowered defense. The "Berserker" dice would be useful for players who would want to give the Barbarian a berserk attack option for added flavor, or otherwise play a Dwarven Trollslayer. Personally, I would have made that die red, and the orange die black.

What do you guys think?

Cool ideas. :) My husband and I sat down to play a quest last night, Quest 1 from Return of the Witch Lord, you know, the one where if you open one of the first two doors, then the first four rooms all get opened up and you're swarmed with monsters. Anyway, Dave has been asking (practically begging) me to be a tougher Zargon, so we used the new dice for this quest. The Heroes used the purple set, the regular monsters used the black set and the the Chaos Warriors used the blue set. Since Dave wanted me to really beat up on him, I figured the black dice would work with their extra Skull face. And I figured that since the Chaos Warriors are heavily armored, the blue dice with the extra Black Shield would be good for them. Alone that probably would've worked, but Dave rolled the purple dice for the Heroes and so he was able to defend a lot better and attack a lot harder. I was only able to wittle away at his BP because there were so many monsters in those first four rooms. The Chaos Warriors went down much too quickly against Battle Axes with purple dice. They maybe have to use orange or purple as well in order to still be a threat. I might leave black dice for undead and use blue dice for all the green monsters... Still thinking about it.

I've read some posts where people have proposed replacing a white die with a tougher colored one. So if you normally attack with 3 dice, now you attack with 2 whites and a purple, for example. Or maybe, if a Hero has Courage cast on him, or drinks a Potion of Strength, his extra dice are black, purple or orange. Same for Rock Skin, or a Potion of Defense, the extra dice are green, purple, or orange. I've even seen suggestions that if Rust is cast on a Hero, the weapon isn't destroyed, but one of the regular dice is replaced with a green one. If he doesn't get it repaired between quests (for like 100 G or something) and Rust is cast on the weapon again, then another white die is replaced with green... I think that's a neat idea. Or say a Hero is poisoned by a trap, one of his defend dice is replaced with a blue one until he drinks an antidote. Definitely some things to think about. :2cents:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Princess
AerynB
Resident Editor

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Usergroups:

Postby Count Mohawk » Friday October 13th, 2017 12:06am

I happened across two new colors of dice while browsing through our German benefactor's website the other day: Gray and Olive Green dice.
Gray combat dice feature a distribution of :whiteshield: | :whiteshield: | :whiteshield: :whiteshield: | :blackshield: | :blackshield: | :blackshield: :blackshield: .
Olive Green combat dice feature a distribution of :skull: | :skull: | :skull: | :skull: :skull: | :blackshield: :blackshield: | :blackshield: :blackshield: .

These dice are particularly interesting because they are the first ones to entirely exclude one type of face from the entire die; i.e. Gray dice have no Skulls, and Olive Green dice have no White Shields. I'm undecided as to whether or not this design choice pleases me or not.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby clmckay » Friday October 13th, 2017 7:13am

I have this new ones.

They are both logical progressions of the distributions. I use the olive for only the most powerful of weapons....I think I made a dagger and short sword using them. I used the grey for an artifact - a set of robes worn by a spell caster with a minimum of 8 MP.

So, both are not heavily used, but they fill a nice niche.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Storm Master
Storm Master

Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Other Expansion Topics