• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Those Colored German Dice

Discuss other HeroQuest expansion topics that do not fit into the above categories.

Re: Those Colored German Dice

Postby knightkrawler » April 3rd, 2013, 3:20 am

Does anyone here any rules for the different dice?
Just curious, cause most of the Germans owning the dice play a specific ruleset.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Ethica » April 3rd, 2013, 3:29 am

Does Torilen see that the different coloured dice have different pictures on them?

I suspect that the guy who's made the dice has revised the distributions for a good reason. If you do calculations on both sets maybe a reasoning might become clear.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » April 3rd, 2013, 4:28 am

I think it's a damn shame the colors aren't brighter on the dice, and the drawings BLACK! It looks crazy with those white logos.
See how well it looks on the pink dice? Why didn't they make them all like that?

Also, are these light wooden dice or heavy plastic?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » April 3rd, 2013, 4:58 am

I also don't like the color choices.
One of the reasons I don't even consider incorporating them.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby el_flesh » April 3rd, 2013, 7:24 am

Sure make for interesting rolls though. Assigning diff set to diff hero/monster looks pretty cool to me!
And it seems u have SEVEN rows of dice instead of six!...
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » April 3rd, 2013, 8:56 am

ethica - no, I did not originally notice the different pictures on them. Not until you
pointed it out, after my first comment.

I do agree with you there...that's screwed up that they give you different dice with
entirely different pictures on them. Kind of makes me wonder if they simply are making
their own dice now, and haven't given any thought to the rolls they would get.

I had made my own materials for making alternate dice - something you could print off
stickers and put on normal dice, as well as spinner boards for spinning your rolls instead
of rolling dice. I also made it into card format...you would just shuffle the deck each turn
and draw your card.

viewtopic.php?f=143&t=1531&p=17317#p17317

I put thought into the "rolls", though. I made normal dice, dice that would help heroes more
for attacks or defense or both...same for monsters...etc. I had specific ideas in mind in how
the "rolls" could be used for specialty monsters and magic items and such.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » April 3rd, 2013, 9:09 am

el_flesh wrote:And it seems u have SEVEN rows of dice instead of six!...

The pink ones are newer than the others and are advertised as girl player dice. The symbol distribution is the same as the original white dice.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby AerynB » April 4th, 2013, 1:47 am

Ethica wrote:Does Torilen see that the different coloured dice have different pictures on them?

I suspect that the guy who's made the dice has revised the distributions for a good reason. If you do calculations on both sets maybe a reasoning might become clear.

Unfortunately, I deleted my excel spreadsheet for the odds of rollings skulls, white shields, and black shields with up to 3 purple or orange dice when I saw the face distribution had changed. I plugged in the new face distribution, so I can't compare. The biggest change, in my opinion, was on the orange dice, replacing a Skull face with a Double White Shield face. The chance of rolling at least 1 Skull used to be 50%, now it's one-third. Then again, the chance of rolling at least 1 White Shield used to be one-sixth, now it's better at 1 in 3. I may try redoing my calculations to see how big the changes are affected when you roll more dice.

knightkrawler wrote:Does anyone here any rules for the different dice?
Just curious, cause most of the Germans owning the dice play a specific ruleset.

I read something on some other HQ forum... Old Scratch's maybe? I can't remember. I wonder if I still have it bookmarked.

Goblin-King wrote:I think it's a damn shame the colors aren't brighter on the dice, and the drawings BLACK! It looks crazy with those white logos.
See how well it looks on the pink dice? Why didn't they make them all like that?

Also, are these light wooden dice or heavy plastic?

I admit, the pink dice look much better with black pictures. I believe all the dice would look better that way as well. Maybe I'll take a fine-tip black permanent marker and try to color the white in. And the dice are heavy plastic, like dice from other games like Monopoly and Yahtzee, etc., not like the HQ light wooden ones.

knightkrawler wrote:I also don't like the color choices.
One of the reasons I don't even consider incorporating them.

I don't think my phone captured the exact colors very well. They're mucher darker in person. I'd probably choose yellow over orange, but then that wouldn't have worked with their choice of using the negative of the traditional HQ dice images. Oh well, maybe I can make my own versions of the dice with the previous face distributions. LOL! Now I have another HQ project on my plate.

el_flesh wrote:Sure make for interesting rolls though. Assigning diff set to diff hero/monster looks pretty cool to me!
And it seems u have SEVEN rows of dice instead of six!...

That's what I'm thinking. :) Maybe tough monsters get to roll black dice, and villains get to roll orange or purple. I've heard someone proposing that traps or poisons or something might make a Hero roll blue dice for defense. There's a million different ways these could be used. And heck, I'm a girl who likes rainbows. ;)

Thanks, everybody, for your comments. :) I think I'll try to use stickers to make my own yellow and red dice with the original distributions. I'd like the possibility of rolling 5 Skulls on 3 dice even if it's a long shot (1/216 or about half of one percent).
EDIT: Nope, that's wrong. The odds of rolling exactly 5 Skulls on 3 orange dice is better than 1/216. :smack: I really wish I hadn't deleted that spreadsheet. *thinking* It's probably more like 12/216. And the odds of rolling 6 Skulls on 3 orange dice (in the original distribution) was 8/216, I think.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Princess
AerynB
Resident Editor

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:

Postby Sinned » April 4th, 2013, 3:05 am

Where did you buy these dice?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters.
Sinned

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Ethica » April 4th, 2013, 9:46 am

AerynB wrote:
knightkrawler wrote:Does anyone here any rules for the different dice?

I read something on some other HQ forum... Old Scratch's maybe? I can't remember. I wonder if I still have it bookmarked.

This thread?
http://oldscratch.smackwell.com/cgi-bin ... 1197966356

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext