• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Those Colored German Dice

Discuss other HeroQuest expansion topics that do not fit into the above categories.

Re: Those Colored German Dice

Postby BStewart80 » February 9th, 2021, 12:47 pm

Don't want to stray too far from the topic but for those looking for the nice HQ gift or perhaps dice enthusiast, I stumbled across this this morning:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/944327770/ ... e_active_1
BStewart80

Orc
Orc

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » February 9th, 2021, 6:28 pm

BStewart80 wrote:The varnish on both dice sets are glossy, but mild. It's not overbearing.

If so, I recommend (after cleaning with a gentle cloth) applying a clear coat of varnish, at least over the "symbols," like I did. I used duraclear satin varnish (Decoart Americana which is probably my go-to) but Liquitex Professional high gloss varnish might work as well.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby fskn » February 11th, 2021, 8:46 am

Hey, everybody. It's been a long time since my last post.

There are HQ dice to sell up on my Shapeways shop.
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/fskn

I have modeled them myself so they're a bit different from those on Thingiverse, but I think the symbols have a better balance, visually speaking. On the one on Thingiverse, the white shield is a tad too small for my tastes.

The dice unfortunately are not very cheap (because Shapeways), but they're available in a wide variety of materials that you guys can choose from.
A customer bought a set printed in Polished Nickel Steel one of these days, I'm hoping he'll upload some photos there. But so far I have one photo of a few I printed in their (then) finest detail plastic, and I think they look great. The detail is very sharp.

They're available in 2 sizes: 16mm and 13mm, the latter being the size of the original dice.

Cheers.

EDIT: Just snapped a photo so you guys can hopefully see the quality of the print:

Again, this is their "Smoothest Fine Detail Plastic", and it's the 16mm (5/8 of an inch) version.
It's actually an outdated model, the one that's up on the shop now has a bit of a curved fillet on the faces (not on the symbols of course). The 13mm one still has sharp edges. I haven't updated that one because I personally prefer the 16mm, but could update the 13mm one of you guys would prefer that instead.
fskn

Hero:

Postby lestodante » February 11th, 2021, 2:23 pm

but are the original Heroquest dice 13 mm?
I was measuring them and was not sure because it is an uncommon size.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby fskn » February 11th, 2021, 4:30 pm

lestodante wrote:but are the original Heroquest dice 13 mm?
I was measuring them and was not sure because it is an uncommon size.

Huh. I was pretty sure when I measured them last time, but I have just now checked with calipers and to my surprise, they're actually 14mm!

Welp, guess I have to enlarge those on my shop.

-------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Done.

And here for comparison sake are the original HQ combat die, alongside my 16mm 3D printed and a Koplow 16mm die... Which is just short of 16mm.

fskn

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » February 11th, 2021, 7:47 pm

I wonder if its possible to 3d print the plastic dice with the print lines following what would be the natural wood grain of the original dice?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby fskn » February 12th, 2021, 6:24 am

Kurgan wrote:I wonder if its possible to 3d print the plastic dice with the print lines following what would be the natural wood grain of the original dice?

I don't think we could have any control over that, at least not working with a third party printer, only if you own a printer yourself (like an SLA printer)... But then the lines are perfectly straight, so they look very mechanical.
The above die was printed in 2017, maybe they have better equipment now, I don't know. But if they do, those lines should be even fainter. I would order some metal dice from them if I had the money to do so, those should come out really pretty.
fskn

Hero:

Postby j_dean80 » February 13th, 2021, 8:04 am

My order is now over 2 months old, so I sent him a message. We’ll see what happens now.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » February 14th, 2021, 6:15 pm

Yeah I haven't tried to contact since the message above. I know mail is still really delayed in the US, I'm sure other countries too.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » February 14th, 2021, 7:53 pm

fskn wrote:but I have just now checked with calipers and to my surprise, they're actually 14mm!

Thank you ... I saved some money because I wanted to appositely buy a calipers!! :D

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Other Expansion Topics