• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Recommend me a spell

Discuss other HeroQuest expansion topics that do not fit into the above categories.

Recommend me a spell

Postby Blackthorn » February 24th, 2013, 11:19 pm

My friend JT and his kids have been playing HQ with me and my kids lately as chronicled here and JT's wizard "Tim the Enchanter" is the only one to survive all of the quests so far. I want to give him something to reward him for his accomplishments and the one thing he has asked about is an "area effect" spell where he can deal damage to more than one monster at a time. I dont' see anything that fits that description in the official quest packs and published quests and I was wondering if there was a homemade spell out there that would be a good fit.
Fear the chinkle!

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
Blackthorn

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Recommend me a spell

Postby mako-heart » February 24th, 2013, 11:34 pm

Wizards of Zargon has the lighting spell i have used it but it hits heros and monsters alike and they roll there defence dice.3atk its a awesome spell. 6 square line not really AOE
Earthquake spell simular but lose 1bp and fall into a pit trap
Hurricane spell The sorcerer must cast this spell at one target who is in a straight line in front of him. That figure is then forced back in a straight line of squares until he hits a wall, another figure, falls down a pit trap or triggers another trap. discard after use.
All of the spells are storm master spells just thought you might have missed these Blackthorn and there are cards to print off here as a quick reward for your brash wizard! NA style even ;)
Thats three i would recommend since its true Hq and i know you are a purist :D
Last edited by mako-heart on February 24th, 2013, 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALL YOUR WALL SPELL BASES ARE BELONG TO US!!!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
mako-heart

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Blackthorn » February 24th, 2013, 11:38 pm

Thanks. I looked at the additonal hero spells for that Quest Pack, but not the evil wizard ones. I'll take a look at those. |_P
Fear the chinkle!

Rewards:
Blackthorn

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby AerynB » February 25th, 2013, 12:03 am

Firestorm is an area-of-affect Chaos spell, I think. You could modify it for the Wizard. Or maybe enhance the Sleep or Tempest spell to affect everyone in a room. Heck, you could enhance Heal Body or Water of Healing to be area-of-effect spells too. I'm not really good at making up brand new spells. Mako-heart's idea of modifying Chaos spells seems like a good place to start.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Princess
AerynB
Resident Editor

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Usergroups:

Postby mako-heart » February 25th, 2013, 12:08 am

AerynB wrote:Firestorm is an area-of-affect Chaos spell, i think.
I think thats a whole room. I would feel like a major caster if i had a chaos spell just one mind you. Firestorm is a rad spell too ;)
If heal was AOE the wizard would be the best player hands down!! thats a great concept right there Blackthorn let your player chose his path heal magic or offensive magic... :o
ALL YOUR WALL SPELL BASES ARE BELONG TO US!!!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
mako-heart

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Blackthorn » February 25th, 2013, 12:41 am

mako-heart wrote: If heal was AOE the wizard would be the best player hands down!! thats a great concept right there Blackthorn let your player chose his path heal magic or offensive magic... :o

I like that idea a lot...and no need to print off a new card or tamper with Chaos magic. Perhaps an artifact that lets the Wizard make one spell (not Genie or Ball of Flame) effect everyone in the room. He'd have to be careful not to heal monsters or cast Tempest or Fire of Wrath on his fellow adventurers.
Fear the chinkle!

Rewards:
Blackthorn

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » February 25th, 2013, 10:09 am

I don't know if you've downloaded any of my expansion materials - they're here:
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=1212&p=17772#p17772

The first post there includes my expanded hero spells. Check them out. There are a number of area-effect
spells that he might like.

Or, another idea is to let him change the look of a spell, while increasing it just a little in power. For example,
change the color of something in the spell...or maybe Rock Skin now causes crystal to jut out from you, as well,
causing 1 BP dmg to anyone who attacks you without a weapon.
(OH NO - DID I JUST BRING THAT UP AGAIN....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO)

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Patroclus » February 26th, 2013, 4:36 pm

in my opinion make something that works only for undead (Mind=0. You can call it Holy Light) or only for beasts (Mind>0. You can call it Dark Rain). And each monster of the room should roll a 5 or 6 to make a saving throw or suffers one damage.

But I like it too, about the damage on your fellows.

It is a good idea to make it an artifact. Maybe a staff (with a daily charge) so if you want to make another in the future he should decide which one to keep.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » March 1st, 2013, 5:08 pm

More suggestions:

Modify Wall of Stone (Wizard Protection spell) with some creative reinterpretation. The spell creates a wall on two squares. As it has 2 Body Points and 6 Defense, it sounds like it would hurt if it were created on one or two (adjacent) monsters. A monster defends by attacking the wall. Each white shield rolled in the defense of the wall that wasn't cancelled by skulls from the monster's attack count as a Body Point of damage to the monster. If the 1-BP section isn't destroyed and the monster survives, it must move off of the square on Zargon's turn.

Combine the Wand of Magic, Spell Ring, Time Stop (Elf spell) and any damaging spell, such as Fire of Wrath. First, store two damaging spells in the Spell Ring. Then, cast one on a monster. Next, use the Wand of Magic to cast Time Stop. Finally, cast the second damaging spell. Two monsters damaged in the same turn is equivalent to a 2-square area of effect. I'd gift the Wizard with one part at a time, and let him discover the process somehow.

If you don't want to mess with Time Stop--an Elf spell--for the Wizard in the method above, subtitute Future Sight (Wizard Protection spell). You'll need to cheeze the meaning of a reroll of an attack to include a second, seperate attack with a spell (the power of artifacts magically bends the limitation). That spell will need to have an attack roll, however. Double Genies or (4) Arrows of Night in the Spell Ring should impress him.

2nd on checking out Chaos Spell options, but make sure there is a penalty for using the Dark Side, such as losing a Mind Point or checking against a Command Chaos spell effect on Zargon's turn.

Finally, I once worked up area of effect as a powing up of the Elemental spell groups. There's way more detail there than you would want, but maybe you could adapt something from there, such as the boosted Ball of Flame spell (inflicts 1 BP to a figure and each adjacent figure). Here's the link.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to Other Expansion Topics