• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

The wilderness tileset

Discuss Tile creation and share Tiles you've created.

The wilderness tileset

Postby Maike05 » November 11th, 2011, 8:23 pm

Hello everybody, I'm curently attempting to create a new tileset which will take place in the wilderness. This new tileset, as my previous ones, will be modular and with a squared format (6x6) so that it fits perfectly together.

You may wonder what it has to do with dungeons? Well I assume that the heroes have to travel a long journey before getting to the entrance of the dungeon, therefore, I need some new tiles to represent that journey. In fact, I created a house rule system for travelling. Basically I assume that dungeons are generally located in desertic areas, therefore, assuming you're coming from a village, an important city or the capital, your travel will take more or less time.

Let's say the nearest village is about 4 days of walking. In 4 days, many things could happen to my Heroes ! They could be attacked by robbers, encounter a wild troll, be lost, etc. Those 4 days represent 4 random events that can occure anytime during the day. As a consequence, I created a special 'random travel event' table where I can roll a D66 (1D6 is for the tens and the other for the units) and get a result which will tell me what happen to my heroes and in which settings. This system is extremely flexible, powerful and really funny because you never know what will happen!

Here is a first shot I made to give you an idea of the general tileset :

Please give me a feedback, any constructive critics are welcomed ! :D

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: The wilderness tileset

Postby torilen » November 11th, 2011, 8:57 pm

I don't have time for in-depth comments right now...gotta get to bed...getting up early to
hunt down and kill bambie.

However...first glance and thought...I like it a lot.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Ethica » November 12th, 2011, 6:24 am

Just to be pedantic taking the tens and units off 2 D6s gives you a D56 because 1 to 10 can't be rolled.

Did you get your terrain off google earth?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Maike05 » November 12th, 2011, 7:13 am

Hello, a D66 gives you 10,20,30,40,50,60 for the tens and combined with 01,02,03,04,05,06 for the units, so 6x6 possibilities = 36 ;)

No I didn't took it from google maps, but thank you for the compliment, it seems it's good quality then ;)

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Ethica » November 12th, 2011, 8:24 am

Damn, you are right a D36 indeed.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Maike05 » November 12th, 2011, 12:30 pm

Hi guys, here is what i created so far:

Next, i'll make some moutains like in the first post.
Afterwards, i'll make some special tiles like entrance of caverns, an abandonned tower, Gnoll/orc/goblin stronghold, brigand camp, Heroes camp, small farms, etc, etc. You are also welcomed to propose me a list of nice tiles I can include ! ;)

Rewards:
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Maike05 » November 12th, 2011, 12:33 pm

Something I forgot to mention :

"X" represent a blocked tile.
"/\" represent a higher tile or something you can hide behind when there is a fight with bow.

Rewards:
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » November 12th, 2011, 12:52 pm

How about making the trees and rocks seperate from the ground. That way players can put them where they please.

Looks good by the way!
Only critisism is that they repeat. THAT rock is right there on all the boards. Minor thing, but a thing none the less.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Maike05 » November 12th, 2011, 2:12 pm

Thx for your interest, yes, I can totally make two version of the board. I also plan on doing some papermodel for tree and fir tree.

Rewards:
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Maike05 » November 24th, 2011, 6:39 pm

Hi, I updated my website with some new tiles:

Rewards:
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Tiles