• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Cave tiles !!

Discuss Tile creation and share Tiles you've created.

Re: Cave tiles !!

Postby Maike05 » December 5th, 2011, 6:27 pm

@HeroquestFrance: c'est vrai que l'orthographe n'est pas mon fort :s meme après plusieurs relectures.. Mais bon pour mon usage personnel je n'y regarde pas plus loin ;) Par contre je n'avais aucune idée que space crusage utilise le meme système, j'ai juste trouvé que ca pourrait être cool à mettre en place pour avoir un plateau hyper modulable !

@Daedelus: Thanks for your support ! I really recommend you to print a set in a printershop. I got mine for about 10€ for 22 pages i think, it's really cheap.

Depending on how you want to play your quest (big or small dungeon) I recommend 4 straight corridors, 4 turning corridor, 4 T-junctions, 2 intersections, 2 deadends, 5+ small caves, at least one big cavern (made out of several pieces)

Then about the details like stalactics, etc, yes I definitely wanted to add these at first. But I really lacked the texture to use :s if you can find me some good texture, then i'll add them with pleasure !

Finally concerning making an alternate version in white, I won't make it since I hope people with print it in a printershop, but you could easily set black as transparent in Word 2007 or even color it white in Gimp/Photoshop ;)

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Maike05 » October 20th, 2013, 6:23 am

Hi folks, quick update this morning. I wanted to create some tiles and though, why not add some crystals to my cavern set ?

I've also updated the grid marking on the tiles.

I also though that this time, I'll go with a 8x8 tiles instead of 4x4 and make to geomorph. So i'll probably recreate the previous cavern tiles with the new grid marking and some more shadows on the walls.

Here is a quick WIP:

What do you think ? What can I improve ?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby el_flesh » October 20th, 2013, 8:53 am

I'm always kind of thrown by the partial squares - the ones where half of the square is cut off by wall. Can a character FIT in there?!?
Also, do the crystals give radiation damage?
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maike05 » October 20th, 2013, 9:08 am

el_flesh wrote:I'm always kind of thrown by the partial squares - the ones where half of the square is cut off by wall. Can a character FIT in there?!?
Also, do the crystals give radiation damage?

hello, Partial squares were not intentional ;) Of course, I'll remove them at the end, this was just a WIP for inspiration :) I don't think those crystal should do anything beside behind pretty :D

Anyway, here is what I've done so far. This give you an idea of the potential of this new set because it will be geomorphic ! Meaning, you just have to lay down a couple of these tiles to make a huge cavern complex !

Rewards:
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » October 20th, 2013, 1:22 pm

What program are you using for making these?
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Maike05 » October 20th, 2013, 3:56 pm

Sjeng wrote:What program are you using for making these?

Simply The Gimp. The most difficult part is to get the right texture. Then it's just a matter of composing with different layers.

For example here, I have use one layer for the gravels, one for the soil and one for the walls.

I first begin by a black layer, then using the selecting tool, I draw the shape of the walls and remove it from the black layer, letting the soil layer beneath to show up. Now on the soil layer, i'll take the eraser tool and re-pass on the walls contour, to let the gravel layer beneath showing up.

After that, I'll apply a drop shadow from the walls to make the passage darker.

Finally, i'll reselect the walls contour with a 10px border and apply the rocky wall texture onto that, making the illusion of the walls.

It's not that difficult when you get the functioning of layers. The layer on top covers the layer beneath it, etc.
For example, here I've used:

1. Black
2. Wall texture
3. Drop shadows
4. Soil ground texture
5. Gravel texture

Rewards:
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby chaoticprime » October 20th, 2013, 9:14 pm

I like the design of these, but not so much the artistic-style. There's nothing functionally wrong with the original, I simply prefer a different visual aesthetic. I like the hand-painted, non-linear, art-style used by the HQ main board. I put about fives minutes of Photoshop CS5 into this last tile you put up, to show you exactly what I mean.

EDIT: Here are more of them, with identical alterations:

ImageImageImage

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » October 20th, 2013, 9:41 pm

I added a bit of noise to the negative space. It blends well, and would be much easier on everyone's printers.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby Maike05 » October 21st, 2013, 1:42 am

Thank you for the review chaoticprime! Those look really great indeed! Is it simply an oil paint filter ?

Cheers,

Rewards:
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby chaoticprime » October 21st, 2013, 2:14 am

Increase DPI to 300 and then resize to actual dimensions. Apply the filter Noise > Reduce Noise (19/0/0/0) and then apply Artistic > Paint Daubs (6/0/Light Rough).

Rewards:
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Tiles