• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Another way to play HeroQuest Solo (Shadow Tiles)

Discuss Tile creation and share Tiles you've created.

Re: Another way to play HeroQuest Solo (Shadow Tiles)

Postby cornixt » April 11th, 2022, 2:12 pm

I like it, although it does mean producing a number of tokens that you hope look similar enough on the back that you won't be able to tell what is on the front.

I'm not sure I fully understand how you are suggesting to use them. In one part you say to use an existing quest as a template, and another that the tiles should be split by quadrant as if you are using the whole board. I also don't really see the point of moving the shadow tiles around if you are playing solo, which seems to be the main purpose - I'd feel a bit weird making things easier or more difficult for myself in the middle of the game.

You could probably expand on it a little to have a "final boss" or objective token that you can randomise among the last few rooms so that the end of the quest isn't as clear as just reaching the staircase.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby gaeryth » April 11th, 2022, 2:48 pm

kurgan, those are the games I was talking about.
gaeryth

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Postby Kurgan » May 20th, 2022, 7:37 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone. As for the quadrant thing, yes that sounds like I'm using the whole board, but I'm actually using the layout of an existing quest. Many quests use all four quadrants in some way but not all do. In those cases I'd still try to divide the tiles up evenly based on the number of rooms available.

It's not a perfect system. As for the "objective" I haven't tried that yet, so far it's just random pieces of furniture, objects for treasure or monsters. Without rolling to see if the tile "stays put" or "moves toward the Heroes" it would have a very predictable result, I agree. 50% chance any time will stay in the room that round or move towards the heroes that round.

I'm using a system inspired by how it works in Space Crusade. Granted, the games aren't exactly the same so it doesn't translate perfectly.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » September 30th, 2022, 12:07 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWWdbM_2ka4 (2nd attempt video). I've tweaked it since then but haven't played it, since we have had so many people willing to play live these past several weekend streams (not complaining).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Previous