• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Card revisions for AHQ

Topics related to Games Workshops Advanced HeroQuest.

Card revisions for AHQ

Postby Medic » August 25th, 2008, 7:03 pm

Ok, in the AHQ rule book it mentions the artifacts ( Borins armour etc ) and gives them rules for AHQ. I was wondering if anyone plays the game enough to help me convert the other cards from the expansions like the Elf and Barbarian quests ? 8-)
Medic

Forum Language: British English

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Card revisions for AHQ

Postby Phoenix » August 26th, 2008, 8:23 am

I've never played AHQ (although I do own a copy). I seem to recall a formula for converting HQ to AHQ mentioned somewhere in the rule book. Hmmmm.... maybe I read it somewhere else.. :?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
The Great
Phoenix

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Medic » August 26th, 2008, 11:55 am

Phoenix wrote:I've never played AHQ (although I do own a copy). I seem to recall a formula for converting HQ to AHQ mentioned somewhere in the rule book. Hmmmm.... maybe I read it somewhere else.. :?

Will double check, but i can't recall anything like that. I checked and it only mentions the basic artifacts, no mention of a formula to change the others?
Medic

Postby HeroQuestFrance » January 15th, 2009, 7:45 am

French website (usagi) translated the rulez and the guy made a kind of generator to convert everything to AHQ.
But he only took in consideration the basic box,not the expansions.
I will try to see where I put his pdf file.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
HeroQuestFrance

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » May 7th, 2010, 2:04 pm

Medic wrote:I checked and it only mentions the basic artifacts, no mention of a formula to change the others?

AHQ was created in the same year as HQ and was released in Europe. The European HQ only has 5 Artifacts (Quest Treasures) in the Game System and none in any of the Expansions so no official conversions were made for the additional Artifacts present in the North American edition and its expansions. I'm willing to bet that someone has converted them and put them on the Internet somewhere. Problem is finding them. :?

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby ndsandman » August 8th, 2010, 2:27 am

Today I saw Advanced Hero Quest on sale or up for bid on ebay.uk. Shipping to US well anywhere outside of the Uk is killer but might be worth the price if someone is looking for a box set.
He Who Dies with the Most Loot
Probably Ran into the Dragon
ndsandman

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby HeroQuestFrance » August 28th, 2010, 2:35 pm

Last price I've seen about advanced heroquest box here is 150€ !
Same for warhammer quest box (french complete)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
HeroQuestFrance

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby ken » June 27th, 2011, 5:07 am

HeroQuestFrance wrote:Last price I've seen about advanced heroquest box here is 150€ !
Same for warhammer quest box (french complete)

One set just sold on ebay UK with extra HQ monsters, english version, for £23. Keep looking!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ken
The Greybeard

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » June 27th, 2011, 6:53 am

Just sold...
That's mean...
You should have informed us before!!!

Just kidding, should have checked myself, but it's still a pity.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby HeroQuestFrance » June 27th, 2011, 8:07 am

Anyway, you can find the rules (the most important thing) and monster grids that include all heroquest monsters and even warhammer quest ones to play it.

How to play Advanced Heroquest then ?
I'm working on it, I must admit I'm close to finish it including tests with friends.
Once you have read and assimilated the basic rules (forget those annoying tables) do the following :

-> GM uses the basic maps of the HQ quest book for all the adventures.
Like this all is ready to play. (boss stats, goal, map etc)
He keeps the golden values of the treasure chests, cupboard, the magic potions heroes can find etc.
-> Do the decks again : treasure / artefact / spell / chaos spell cards to adapt it to AHQ rules.
The rulebook explains you how to convert speed potion, resilience, force etc : all is done in fact !
-> Do again the armory & alchemist shops. Cehck the rulebook everything is inside for the weapons & armors !
-> Artefacts & spells : 5 are done in the rules of ADHQ. The 12 spells too.
You have to make the elf spells (mage of the mirror) + the 9 spells of wizards of morcar & the 36 spells of the sorceers + the missing 7 artefacts of the US version.
-> the men-at-arm, check the rule book of adhq.
If you have bought Advanced HeroQuest, then use the men-at-arms given in the box to make the sergeants.
It gives a serious + to the henchmen !

Now you can play advanced heroquest with the rules. Don't run away, there's few roll dices :
-> Each time a hero explores (opens a door, walk into a unexplored passage) roll the dice for :
- on 2 or 12 the GM pick up a token
- initiative (who will move & fight first for the combat phase)
That's all.

Don't forget the GM tokens :
"trap" this token becomes useless since heroes can search for traps .... so a trap token is used while a hero tries to disarm a trap : his attempt automatically fails.
"character" one of the monster in the room is a champion, check the grids of all monsters (heroquest, advanced heroquest etc) to create and boost a creatures and may be use a new one : for instance a orc champion take one of the orc of warhammer quest ! great isn't it ?)
"escape" a monster you choose can run away (12 squares) if he's out of sight, he will be back later (where the GM wants) with all his HP recovered.
"ambush" roll a dice : 1-6 -> 3 wandering monsters, 7-12 -> 2 wandering monsters + one character !
"wandering monster" : check then ote of the quest to know what he is

About the secret door and trap searchs :

secret door search :
-> roll a dice inferior or equal to your intelligence then you discover a secret door (if there's one)
place it opens and the furniture + monsters EXCPETED if you are equipped of the tool kit.
If it's the case, you place the secret door but it's not opened : you just carefully discovered it.
trap search :
-> roll a dice : inferior or equal to your intelligence then you discover the 2 closer traps in the area of your movement.
For instance the barbarian has 10 points to move in his speed stats so he can search into a zone of 10 squares maximum.
Of course as he's not very intelligent he has less chances to find a trap.
The toolkit gives a +2 to the test.
The dwarf doesn't need to roll a dice : he always find the 2 closed traps, same for the secret door search.

Well it's not complicated at all, the basic system of the game is similar to his young brother warhammer quest :
a roll to know if you have hit the monster
a roll to know the damages.
watch out to the good and bad critical hits
-> total failure of your attack
or
-> you deal damages x2

Fate points to use to cancel something (a bad roll, a wound etc)
Between quests you can still buy magic potions and gear, you can make a training and boost some of your abilities.
The wizard can learn new spells (here just consider 3 levels of each spell and increase by 1 the damage, the area effet etc : you're free as GM to make it good)

Well to resume I'm close to finish all this but in french.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
HeroQuestFrance

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Advanced HeroQuest Room