• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Modular Gameboard v. 2

Discuss Tile creation and share Tiles you've created.

Re: Modular Gameboard v. 2

Postby Daedalus » September 19th, 2012, 2:58 pm

I'm personally disappointed that the two small rooms in the lower-left quadrant were merged into one medium room. On the other hand, I'm pleased with your larger central room--I think it's better than the original.

Do you treat a double wall thickness of 1" as a square space within a door frame, or do you ignore it?

I'm with Goblin-King on wanting to see a Hirst Arts board done with 1/2" walls equally overlapping two adjacent tiles. It couldn't be reasonably be done with 1" tiles--things are too crowded already. I think it could work with 1 1/2" tiles, though. That would leave two 1 1/4" tiles with a 1/2" wall in between. The compromise would be a larger board (not exactly original), but it has the benefit of fitting figures more easily. The other benefit is more real-looking walls.

Unfortunately, Hirst Arts doesn't make tiles in a 1 1/4" X 1 1/2" dimension. I see two ways of tackling that limitation. Either cut a whole lot of finished tiles down to size (power tools, anybody?), or fill the molds along one edge with 1/4" length of modelling clay so that they produced a tile with a modified width.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Daria » September 19th, 2012, 5:39 pm

Goblin-King wrote:
Daria wrote:Heh. That sounds like a total asspain. And the doors wouldn't stand up.

The walls would all be ½'' wide. The doors would stand as good as on some of the walls on your current board. Especially with your magnet scheme.
Another option would be to just make the walls ground level and white (like on the original board).

Except the walls that run along the corridors would be 1/4" wide, which even with magnets would be too thin I think. :/

Daedalus: The two cells were originally intended to be two individual rooms, but with the walls it made them essentially one inch thicker and they didn't fit right. As it is now what I'm going to do is slot in a wall or wall/door as needed and it'll sit ontop of the floor. The squares are all slightly larger than the official board so although it's a tight fit with miniatures it's not any worse than how the game is normally played.

Also I ignore the walls and half tiles when I play.

And to everyone, thank you for the feedback and compliments. (:
Daria

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » September 20th, 2012, 2:04 am

Daria wrote:Except the walls that run along the corridors would be 1/4" wide, which even with magnets would be too thin I think.

No no! All walls would be the same - It's just the corridors that would only be ½'' because they loos 1/4'' to both sides... Which may also be a tad too small anyways...

You could do this if you used the 1½'' molds though :P

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » September 20th, 2012, 7:54 am

oh man that's so awesome... I'm so jealous xD great job Daria! Looking forward to see it all finished and painted. Grey rock is way better than beige in my humble opinion. :)
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby torilen » September 20th, 2012, 9:14 am

I like the idea of using a metallic base for the board. If I ever get around to doing
the board from clay, I would probably try to find a metallic paint for it, and then
put a magnet on the bottom of everything. That would make playing so much easier,
as things wouldn't be sliding all over the place.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Ethica » September 20th, 2012, 10:05 am

torilen wrote:I like the idea of using a metallic base for the board. If I ever get around to doing
the board from clay, I would probably try to find a metallic paint for it, and then
put a magnet on the bottom of everything. That would make playing so much easier,
as things wouldn't be sliding all over the place.

I've put magnets on the bottom of all my tiles. It is worth it, especially when the cats jump onto the table.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » September 20th, 2012, 1:53 pm

@Daria-

Hold onto that foamcore, you can use it for the slotted walls. Put some rare-earth magnets in the bottom edge and they will even stand on the metallic-paint surface..or not. Maybe just go with pins. Check out drathe's walls in the gallery section for inspiration. I once tried something like it with heavy aluminum foil and spackle as a filler underneath. The results weren't too bad. drathe's method was probably different.

Speaking of metallic paint, I never heard of this trick before. How many coats does it take to work with magnets, I wonder? I imagine with tiles the loss of detail would probably not be that big of an issue. Also, how expensive is it to cover an HQ board?

I neglected to mention what a great job you did carving up the tiles. I'd say you should paint things to match the HQ board colors--go that extra mile. Looking forward to the results.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Seb » September 20th, 2012, 8:48 pm

That is a lovely board indeed, particularly the attention to floor details. :)

Would be great to do something similar in the future myself, though my first Hirst Arts purchase will be geared toward random caverns etc.

Look forward to any painting updates ahead!

- Seb

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Seb

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daria » September 20th, 2012, 11:08 pm

Daedalus wrote:Speaking of metallic paint, I never heard of this trick before. How many coats does it take to work with magnets, I wonder? I imagine with tiles the loss of detail would probably not be that big of an issue. Also, how expensive is it to cover an HQ board?

I haven't tried it yet, but it was a product I noticed at Home Depot. It was sold in the same aisle as chalkboard and whiteboard paints. It was kind of expensive though, like $20 for roughly a pint (I think, I could be misremembering). Definitely something I'd like to experiment with; I have some small rare earth magnets just itching to be used in a project.
Daria

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby shy-design » September 24th, 2012, 12:09 pm

boom! this is too cool

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
shy-design

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Tiles