• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Making entire boards (Town + Sewers)

Discuss Tile creation and share Tiles you've created.

Making entire boards (Town + Sewers)

Postby Sjeng » June 27th, 2012, 11:56 am

Hi all! I just finished making the Town and Sewers game boards from my quest "Into the Sewers".
All the prints you need for this are in the booklet pdf, so I printed those, and cut them out.
I had a large piece of grey cardboard, about 3mm thick, which I cut in half into two pieces of 70cm x 50cm.
I also got 2 black sheets of rather sturdy paper, 50cm x 70cm, to glue on one side (the back of the board).

So the first thing I did after cutting the grey cardboard, was sticking on the black paper. You should use glue in a spraycan for paper and such. Mine was a bit expensive (€15,-), but I couldn't find cheaper glue. It works wonderfully though.
Just spray it on like you would with paint, from 30cm distance, in a box, or on a large sheet of plastic. Then just place the paper on top of the cardboard, and press it down.

hq_gameboards--005.jpg

Then stick some black duct-tape along the edges. I did the long edges first, then the short edges, but I suggest doing the corners last (unlike I did).

hq_gameboards--011.jpg
hq_gameboards--012.jpg
hq_gameboards--013.jpg
hq_gameboards--014.jpg

Fold around the tape over the edges as shown. I did the short sides afterwards, but you could also tape on those before doing the edges.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Making entire boards (Town + Sewers)

Postby Sjeng » June 27th, 2012, 11:56 am

hq_gameboards--015.jpg

Next, measure the middle of the backside of the board with a tape measure, and draw a pencil line over the middle. Using a sharp knife, cut along this line, but not THROUGH the board. Cut enough so you can bend it.

hq_gameboards--016.jpg
hq_gameboards--017.jpg
hq_gameboards--018.jpg
hq_gameboards--019.jpg

After folding the board and sticking the tape along the fold, you can proceed with the printed front of the board.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sjeng on June 27th, 2012, 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Sjeng » June 27th, 2012, 11:57 am

Open the board again. The tape along the fold will fold along, and that will cause the board to stay folded a bit, but that will settle. Don't worry. Don't force it though, just let gravity do its job.

hq_gameboards--020.jpg

Place the printed tiles on the board in the right order, to get an idea of what parts belong where. Draw a small pencil line in the middle. Then take the middle 4, and spray the glue on them (preferably in a box).

hq_gameboards--021.jpg
hq_gameboards--022.jpg

The first part is trickiest, but just fold the board 90 degrees, and place the first tile against the folded edge and the pencil line. Then place the tile next to that one along its edge. Tilt the board the other way, and do the same. This is easier, since the first 2 are already on. You could also just place the board flat and glue the other 2 against the first 2.

Then just spray glue on the outer 4 pieces, and stick them on as well, carefully outlining them against the first 4.

hq_gameboards--023.jpg
hq_gameboards--025.jpg

I also stuck some regular transparent sticky tape along the center line, so the tiles wouldn't fold when folding the board. I'm going to try out some transparent adhesive foil on a smaller tile, to see if that looks good, and if it does, I'm going to "laminate" the entire board with it. (It's the stuff you use to protect books).

That's it! Enjoy!

Rewards:
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby bigbuk79 » June 27th, 2012, 4:06 pm

This looks excellent it'll be nice to have a different board to play on with a quest.
Crossbows anyone?
bigbuk79

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Ethica » June 27th, 2012, 5:40 pm

Nice work. They look really professional. Do you place tiles over the houses as you explore them?

Coincidentally, I've been doing almost exactly the same thing all this evening to make a plain black metal board. So I'm looking at your pictures now and having flashbacks of duct tape sticking to itself and bubbles in sticky back plastic.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » June 28th, 2012, 3:37 am

I've included the well known Inn tiles in the quest, to use as the tavern in town. Now the scale of the town and the tiles are different, but I simply place the tavern tiles on or next to the board in the configuration from the quest booklet.
So basically, the layout of the inside of the tavern has the exact same shape as the outside as drawn on the town map, but it's scaled to be bigger. Some barns are used as well, and can be placed on top, those fit 1:1.

But you could easily create more tiles of the inside of simple cottages to explore.

I didn't have trouble with the tape sticking to itself :P But I have yet to try the sticky back plastic. I remember that does bubble easily.

Even our cat wants to play now

Rewards:
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby bigbuk79 » June 28th, 2012, 7:06 am

Is that Morcar/Zargon's familar in the chair?
Crossbows anyone?
bigbuk79

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maike05 » June 28th, 2012, 8:32 am

The town tile looks really cool bro :) put it on the blog ;)

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Sjeng » June 28th, 2012, 10:55 am

Already made a post for it :)

Rewards:
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Maike05 » June 28th, 2012, 4:41 pm

Your cat is really funny, you should definitely take more picture with the evil cat version of zargon ahah that would be damn hilarious on the blog ;)

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Next

Return to Tiles