• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Turds can, in fact, be polished.

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Turds can, in fact, be polished.

Postby BroccoliRage » February 5th, 2023, 9:49 am

So, back in 06 I started using miniatures as I had seen proof that they were the superior method of play. I had no interest n painting back then, so I bought loads of minis, particularly prepainted ones. I would frequently buy booster packs of the 3e miniatures that were sold at the time. Some of the sculpts were decent, most of them were crap, badly designed and the painting was atrocious.

One that was common was the Bluespawn Godslayer. Because it was 3e and everything had stupid names like that. The swords were always bent, the paint was bad, it was just a garbage mini.

Judge for yourself:

Garbage.

So I had one of these, and while as is I think it's hideous, I felt that with some TLC I could turn this into something decent. It reminded me of Warhammer Bloodletters a lot.

So, I straightened his sword as much as I could, primed him up, and spent about a week and a half on him. I decided to take 3e mediocre inane garbage and properly sanctify this unholy warrior to the Blood God.

Here he is

I like it.
BroccoliRage

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Turds can, in fact, be polished.

Postby CardboardAnt » February 12th, 2024, 5:58 am

It certainly looks a lot cleaner - these DnD miniatures do leave a lot to be desired, particularly on sculpt quality.

I dont know what your skill level is like in painting, but a simple black wash over the bone ridges, nails and teeth will make them pop. This will take about 3mins of work.

Additionally, if you want to go further, you could add either white (for cold colour) or yellow (for warm colour) to the red and paint some of the raised muscle tone. You could then add a dark red glaze to the skin to bring the highlight back down and blend it in.

Happy painting!
CardboardAnt

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Return to Miniatures